Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Laanecoorie Bash 2013 Have Your Say

+13
crocky111
G.B.
goldnomad
trianglemal
big fella
warragul
flyspecks
Cams 4500
Golden Slumbers
getascripter
goldminer997
Goldylox
mariner3800
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Laanecoorie Bash 2013 Have Your Say Empty Laanecoorie Bash 2013 Have Your Say

Post  mariner3800 Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:13 pm

Hi all,

Events like we just have experienced just don't happen, they take a heck of allot of planning and organisation which has already started. I think you all will agree that it was a huge success this year and for that reason we have set the bar for next year even higher.

Our aims for the weekend is to make it educational, fun & relaxing, so that it is always something new and we will try not to be repetitive in what we offer each year.

It is our aim to mix it up a little next year and try a few different things so with that in mind we are now looking for ideas as to what you would like to see at next years event??

So put your thinking caps on and give us some ideas??

look forward to your posts

Peter
Mariner3800
mariner3800
mariner3800
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1177
Registration date : 2010-11-04

Back to top Go down

Laanecoorie Bash 2013 Have Your Say Empty Re: Laanecoorie Bash 2013 Have Your Say

Post  Guest Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:34 pm

how about a token hunt? with each token a different prize or something like that... just a thought
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Laanecoorie Bash 2013 Have Your Say Empty Re: Laanecoorie Bash 2013 Have Your Say

Post  Goldylox Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:42 am

Hi Peter.

My observations, hopefully helpful for possible future consideration given the huge organisation & appreciation of what it already takes. Smile

May I suggest some sort of structured introduction for everyone - like stand in a big circle and everyone introduces themselves (username included) so you can get to meet who you might interact with on the forum and a closure/debriefing at the end?

Raffle: Security of the raffle (like only display the prizes just before the raffle is drawn when the room is full or put up a list of the specific items) if what I heard was sadly true - there was a thief in our midst?

I think with the awesome amount of generously supplied & some more valuable raffle prizes, maybe hold one on the Sat & one on the Sunday (at a closure) & perhaps even designate the prizes for a better balance? ie - yellow ticket 27 wins a stubbie cooler, blue ticket 76 wins a coil etc? The items can be written on bits of paper, folded and also drawn at the time. Otherwise folks become restless when it's too drawn out, getting cold, whingey & all the top stuff has gone. Just sayin'. Wink

A few ppl didn't seem to know if the weekend was completely over & soon found themselves alone. I noticed some of the more seasoned members didn't mix with newbies much (kinda stuck together in their own familiar groups most of the time) so little chance for new friendships to form or the wisdoms to be passed to younger generations/new blood on the block. What we wouldn't give today to hear the ol' timers yarns eh?! Too much knowledge has already been lost. More encouragement for newbies to ask questions or have an hours basic instruction for things like swing technique before setting out for free time perhaps? Smile

Goldylox
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 167
Registration date : 2011-04-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Goldylox Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:44 am

Stoppsy's token hunt sounds like fun! Smile

Goldylox
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 167
Registration date : 2011-04-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:31 pm

Goldylox wrote:

A few ppl didn't seem to know if the weekend was completely over & soon found themselves alone. I noticed some of the more seasoned members didn't mix with newbies much (kinda stuck together in their own familiar groups most of the time) so little chance for new friendships to form or the wisdoms to be passed to younger generations/new blood on the block.

yeh , thats a fair call goldy . i must admit i`m not much of a mixer when i`m in a room full of people i don`t know , most of the night i spoke to people i already knew ( i don`t know what can be done about that though )
cheers dave

Last edited by phoenix on Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:53 pm

What I would like to see would be a traders stalls set up, say for Saturday and Sunday. For those of us who would like to buy a new coil, picks, speeker phone, or what ever. This could correspond with the Test Pit Demo's and then you could shoot back and pick up a coil that interested you.This could be on top of the car boot sales. On the Saturday afternoon, what do you say if we split up into groups of about 6-8 newbies and less experienced opperators under the guidance of a more experienced prospector to a place of their choice. Detect for say 4hrs and then see which group comes back with the most gold and relics. There could be prizes for the winning group, or a trophy.
wombat Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:12 pm

wombat i`d want to be in your group. you`ve got a big reputation for putting other people onto gold Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  mariner3800 Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:48 pm

Hey Phoenix, More drinks usually does it for me lol!

But seriously I do see where you both are coming from.

I suppose in the past we have tried to only offer activities for 30-40% of the time we have and leave the rest of the time so you can get out in the bush and detect.

It would be interesting to see if people would like more activities so that both days are fully occupied or if people still want some time left open for their own prospecting??

I will leave that little option open for comment and look forward to your reply's.

With suggestions, we don't want to make it the same as the other events held in Vic, we do want to keep it different so please think about some new ideas and suggestion.

Talk Soon

Peter
mariner3800
mariner3800
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Laanecoorie Bash 2013 Have Your Say Empty LAANCOORIE 2013

Post  goldminer997 Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:10 pm

SAME TIME SAME PLACE , SOUNDS GOOD PETER AND NO MORE DRINK FOR MY I WILL LOSE MORE GOLD OUT OF MY POCKETS AND ENIO WILL FOLLOW BEHIND CLEANING UP Laughing ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THINGS I CAN SEE WHERE THE NEWBIE ARE COMING FROM , MAY BE A 1/2 DAY OUT WITH SAY 5 PEOPLE IN A GROUP AND SHOW THEM A BIT ABOUT READING THE GROUND AND DETECTOR TRAINING THEN MIX THE GROUPS UP .HIT SOME OF THE GOLD DIGGINGS AND SURFACED AREA TO SHOW PEOPLE WHAT TO LOOK OUT FOR. Very Happy
goldminer997
goldminer997
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2010-08-25

http://www.coasttocoastprospectingtours.com

Back to top Go down

Post  getascripter Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:05 pm

Wombat & Goldminer997 are really on to something! I LOVED my weekend at Laancoorie, and I DID get the opportunity to go out for a couple of hours with a couple of "old hands" ........

This was the BEST training .... it was 'hands on' and really informative! For a while I didn't even have my detector, but just played tag-along! It was really really informative and I am MOST GRATEFUL for the opportunity!!
getascripter
getascripter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1900
Registration date : 2012-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Golden Slumbers Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:53 pm

Microphones for the guest speakers would be good for us hearing impared folk,
im deaf in one ear and cant hear out of the other one.

Cheers
Golden slumbers

Golden Slumbers
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2012-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Cams 4500 Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:56 am

I think Wombats idea is a great one. I too found that people did stick in groups and a little hard to get out with more experienced operators. Each group could consist of 1 long term detector, 2 mid term detectors and 3 newbies or something like that perhaps drawn out of a hat.

I think there needs to be a definate close as well, or at least something shortish planned for the Sunday morning.

Raffle went too late.

Great weekend overall.
Cams 4500
Cams 4500
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 393
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post  flyspecks Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:37 pm

yep, i like the idea of the newbie of going out with the more seasoned guys...but dont forget, last years people who attened was also there to catch up this year.. and with nearly a hundred people there ,it was a bit hard to even do that.... i managed to catch up with a few and it was great... as for the newbies... they will do the same next year . if anyone noticed, its getting bigger, and we will meet many new people as the years go by...all i can say to the new ones, is to follow goldminer997 and wombat..... goldminer just drops nuggets and wombat runs his machine in CANCEL.... anyone will find nuggets following those two lol! .....i can hear bigfella laughing now..... cheeers Smile
flyspecks
flyspecks
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 988
Registration date : 2011-05-17

Back to top Go down

Post  mariner3800 Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:06 pm

Hi all

Great feed back so far and some very good suggestion.

I thought Big Fella and Flyspecks would be in for setting up a bar ?? What a Face lol!

Keep the suggestions coming as this is the sort of info we need to make next year even better.

Peter
Mariner3800
mariner3800
mariner3800
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Laanecoorie Bash 2013 Have Your Say Empty Laanecoorie

Post  warragul Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:09 pm

Hi Peter,
I believe the general thrust of the weekend was excellent, however, as a newcomer to the hobby, I was a little overawed by those people you read about on this forum and I was somewhat reticent to introduce myself to them. I do believe the group should be broken up into experienced, not so experienced and newcomers so we can learn what this hobby is all about. Friday and Saturday were great and were well organized, however, Sunday when I eventually arrived back from Maryborough after sorting the pick was a little vague and therefore, I went out and did my own thing arriving home late on Sunday night to find the place almost deserted. I can completely understand people had to return to their homes so they could go to work etc. on Monday, however, for those who were left, it was a non event. On Monday morning, I packed the van up and left early.
Having said that, I believe all credit should go to the organisers for an oustanding event. However, I believe it can be improved and therefore, I have offered my services to attempt an improved 2013 event. I must emphasize I do not wish to denigrate those persons who ran this years event and indeed congratulate them on a great effort.

warragul
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2011-05-28

Back to top Go down

Post  mariner3800 Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:47 pm

Hi Warragul,

No denigration at all, its all valuable feedback. Sunday is an issue as we have people that must leave and those who wish to " party on" as there were a few left on Sunday night. I have some ideas for next year that will include pre and post days of the weekend and will discuss with the new committee in coming months once the dust settles.

If I can ask a relevant question and that is did you see the agenda posted on the forum prior to the weekend?? The reason in asking is that I have had a couple of people tell me they did not see it?

All goo information so please keep it coming.

Peter
Mariner3800
mariner3800
mariner3800
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Laanecoorie Bash 2013 Have Your Say Empty Lanecoorie post mortem

Post  warragul Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:00 pm

Hi peter,
Yes I did see the program prior to the event and thought that whilst the program was a bit of a free day, I thought on Sunday evening something would be happening.
Again, i am not being critical.

warragul
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2011-05-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Cams 4500 Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:08 pm

warragul wrote:Hi peter,
Yes I did see the program prior to the event and thought that whilst the program was a bit of a free day, I thought on Sunday evening something would be happening.
Again, i am not being critical.

Same here Warragul, I felt a bit lost Sunday arvo and evening I enventually ended up at Big Fella's site around his fire, I wasn't invited as such, but was more than welcome there.

Cams 4500
Cams 4500
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:38 pm

Don't over do it,

The circle meet sounds good too meet other Forum Members.

Junk finds are $1.00 each for the R.C.H. Own up sunny

Then the Potato sack race & Wheel barrow race would be good. How about an Apple Bob.

Keep it simple.

Too much work for some very nice people that sacrifice all their time to an informal meet up.

DINGO

PS: Thanks to all involved last week

Back to top Go down

Post  big fella Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:25 am

G'Day
Fly specks i did have a good laugh then scrolled down and saw your comment, and Peter i don't have to set up a bar just ask a few they know my bar is always open stay open late too oh yeah you have been there or like a lot don't remember, (getting to old for this) and as for after the event i stayed for a few days and some people found me and joined in i went home on the Wednesday,Going back tommorow till next Monday so a few new comers are meeting up and we will have a great time and will find some gold all welcome call in and lets do it (bring beer).
Big Fella Tom.
big fella
big fella
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 550
Registration date : 2011-06-15

Back to top Go down

Post  trianglemal Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:54 pm

Hi Peter,

Just a couple of comments from what Warragul posted regarding the get together weekend recently. As you know I was only able to turn up on Sunday for a few hours for a quick g'day and chat. Like a lot of people there, I was only known by my forum name and it was good to make acquaintance with the few members that I was able to in the short time. Its probably difficult for some newcomers/beginners/lesser experienced people to get themselves into the familiar circle of group members. Its my guess that newcomers probably need to be identified according to their experience so an experienced member can identify them-self to help break the ice a bit with a good yarn or two. Maybe this was done in some way but its just a thought.
Hopefully I will get there for the full gig next year and I would be prepared to make myself available for an extra couple of days for any of our long distance travelers who wanted to stay over to explore the district and try their luck at some of the other areas around there.

Organisation of a weekend like this takes a lot of time by a lot of people to make it the success that I am sure it was. Well done Peter and crew and to all those members who traveled wide and far to be present for the gathering

Regards
trianglemal
trianglemal
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2010-01-08

Back to top Go down

Post  goldnomad Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:22 am

Just a couple of minor suggestions for the next one Peter.
1.As a consideration for the folks that don’t drink, can we organise a coffee urn for next year please? If there was one there on Friday and Saturday night then tell me to open my eyes!
2. I noticed a distinct lack of name tags. Perhaps next year we could have a better system with perhaps colour-coded ones-red for new chums, green for intermediates, blue for experienced and yellow for organisers and/or trainers. This would certainly help people to know who they are talking to.

As I understand it, the main thrust of the weekend is to train and help new chums and share information. All other activities are just icing on the cake.
By reading through the various Laanecoorie threads, it is obvious to me that all who attended the training sessions on Saturday morning and Jim's tour on Sunday morning fully appreciated the activities.
Perhaps another training session on the Sunday afternoon after lunch for those who missed out on Saturday and those who wish to see it all again might be a way to fill in Sunday afternoon.
I would be more than happy to volunteer my services again for both days.

Robert
goldnomad
goldnomad
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 560
Registration date : 2012-05-29

Back to top Go down

Laanecoorie Bash 2013 Have Your Say Empty Laanecoorie Bash 2013 Have Your Say

Post  G.B. Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:38 am

Saturday,

Morning.

Community Breakfast (BYO), Initial Meet and Greet, Working Bee to assist Organisers Set up followed by Test Pit and then Jim's Tour. (This would allow method and advice to be put into practice the rest of weekend.) Form Groups for Arvo Detect.

Arvo Detect.

Night. Consider a Mentor Auction.

Knowledgeable Detectorists/Local Living Legends volunteer their experience to Highest individual/group bidders for a Sunday Detecting Session. Money Raised for Charity

G.B.

G.B.
G.B.
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1268
Registration date : 2012-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post  crocky111 Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:18 am

Hi Peter,

Nothing from me, I am a brand NEW user with no experience yet.

I just want to know the dates so I can see if the wife and I can attend, we have a wedding in Qld to attend which is about the 18th of May next year. I really hope the week of the 18th is not chosen.

We are really looking forward to it.
crocky111
crocky111
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Cams 4500 Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:20 pm

I think the Saturday morning could be done better, it was a lot of standing around. I did pick up one good tip which I put into practice, but that is all.

Perhaps next year the format could change a little.

Friday night during the meet and greet have some sheets (groups) out on a table and people can put their names down based on what machine they have, or maybe with their buddy. Each sheet will have it's own colour (flag). Each group shall have a leader (experienced operator already assigned) then a couple of spots for intermediates to write their names and then beginners, up to 8 per group (or however the numbers work out). Names tags could also be colour coded as per teams to help leaders identify who is in their team.

In the morning do any group stuff ie. the coil demo at the park. Then the groups head out, the leader has his list and a coloured flag and those in the group follow that flag when exiting (car pooling reccomended). Might need to park out the gate a bit for the groups to gather. Then the leader takes his group to an area he has chosen (might need to have leaders decide and compare so no double ups). Spend a few hours detecting, leader can do a speach, assists with settings, technique, whatever he thinks. Each group could go to the test pit if desired by the leader. At a finish time, all groups head back to camp and the gold added up to see which group found the most, the leader will be rewarded with a small trophy or title to be passed on the next year (Lord of the Gold)

Would bring a bit of competition to the weekend, those who arrive earlier would have an advantage in choosing groups.

The drive that Jim took us on should make a comeback as well, differant places next time perhaps, Sat arvo or Sunday.

Cams 4500
Cams 4500
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  big fella Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:24 pm

G'Day
What else would people want for a free weekend,Can team leaders choose who will be in there group?
Big Fella.
big fella
big fella
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Cams 4500 Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:08 pm

big fella wrote:G'Day
What else would people want for a free weekend,Can team leaders choose who will be in there group?
Big Fella.

You are assuming you would be a team leader Laughing

Perhaps the leaders could have 2 picks if they haven't already put their name done elsewhere. Once you choose a group, thats it. Could even be a ballot, which could mean names out of a hat in front of everyone and that person stands up, then everyone would know who they are. Could be a double benefit.
Cams 4500
Cams 4500
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  big fella Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:51 am

G'Day
Never assume anything Chances are i won't even be there next time.
Big Fella.
big fella
big fella
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:49 pm

Cams 4500 wrote:I think the Saturday morning could be done better, it was a lot of standing around. I did pick up one good tip which I put into practice, but that is all.

Perhaps next year the format could change a little.

Friday night during the meet and greet have some sheets (groups) out on a table and people can put their names down based on what machine they have, or maybe with their buddy. Each sheet will have it's own colour (flag). Each group shall have a leader (experienced operator already assigned) then a couple of spots for intermediates to write their names and then beginners, up to 8 per group (or however the numbers work out). Names tags could also be colour coded as per teams to help leaders identify who is in their team.

In the morning do any group stuff ie. the coil demo at the park. Then the groups head out, the leader has his list and a coloured flag and those in the group follow that flag when exiting (car pooling reccomended). Might need to park out the gate a bit for the groups to gather. Then the leader takes his group to an area he has chosen (might need to have leaders decide and compare so no double ups). Spend a few hours detecting, leader can do a speach, assists with settings, technique, whatever he thinks. Each group could go to the test pit if desired by the leader. At a finish time, all groups head back to camp and the gold added up to see which group found the most, the leader will be rewarded with a small trophy or title to be passed on the next year (Lord of the Gold)

Would bring a bit of competition to the weekend, those who arrive earlier would have an advantage in choosing groups.

The drive that Jim took us on should make a comeback as well, differant places next time perhaps, Sat arvo or Sunday.

Let GO of it,

This is a Forum Catch UP, not a Nursery for other Members to have to Train Yourself At Your desire.

DINGO

PS: Stay at Home next time scratch

Back to top Go down

Post  big fella Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:12 pm

G'Day Dingo
Well put a lot nicer than what i have been thinking Do i get into trouble for saying that there are loosers out there,Well one that comes to mind.
Big Fella
big fella
big fella
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next