Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The days I caught the bug..

4 posters

Go down

The days I caught the bug.. Empty The days I caught the bug..

Post  1864hatter Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:47 am

So a few years back I was one of the guys that had a sluice box, pan and ventured out once or twice a year. The results were allways in the category of- where is it? One day I read a bit about "sniping" and thought I may as well give it a shot. I didnt really have the faintest idea of what to do but managed to find 2 grams of what at the time was the coarsest gold Id found. I was over the moon! I could actually convince people what I had was gold!

Next weekend saw me back at my spot and this time around I managed 3.2 grams, also met a guy down the river who was just getting into it. Being the nice guy I am I invited him to come and have a snipe with me at my spot the next weekend. The image below is the first two days worth. The days I caught the bug.. 5_2_gr11

The next weekend brought me 7.6grams and I was hooked! Over the next few weekends i got a total of a couple of ounces from there, my mate got around an ounce and another guy maybe half an oz. All from 20m of River!

The days I caught the bug.. 7_6_gr10
How do you add photos to your posts?

Last edited by 1864hatter on Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:50 am; edited 2 times in total

1864hatter
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 86
Registration date : 2012-05-18

Back to top Go down

The days I caught the bug.. Empty Re: The days I caught the bug..

Post  CostasDee Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:19 am

Great story there hatter. Curious to know what sniping is though. Do a search on the forum, Stoppsy from memory has put a video on how to add pictures and video to your post.
CostasDee
CostasDee
Management

Number of posts : 3971
Registration date : 2010-11-23

Back to top Go down

Post  1864hatter Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:30 am

Sniping is the name given to basically snorke;ing for gold in rivers. For me it involves a wetsuit snorkel and mask, a crowbar, pick and screwdriver.
Basically you clean out or break open underwater crevices in bedrock.

1864hatter
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

The days I caught the bug.. Empty RE: THE DAYS I CAUGHT THE BUG..

Post  Hey presto Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:04 pm

Great result 1864hatter. Thanks for sharing your story & photos. I don't think I would like to do any sniping in my local creeks, to many leeches. They are friendly enough when you are panning.

Last edited by Hey presto on Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:34 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Correct a do with a don't)
Hey presto
Hey presto
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 200
Registration date : 2011-12-22

Back to top Go down

Post  kiwijw Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:07 am

G'day Hatter, Very nice gold. No wonder you got the bug Smile Hows that gold bug going for you. Whats the smallest bit you have got with it? I managed a wopping .08 gram piece with my 3000 yesterday. That was it for the day. Oh well...at least I wasnt skunked.

Good luck out there

JW Smile
kiwijw
kiwijw
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1886
Registration date : 2010-09-02

Back to top Go down

Post  1864hatter Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:07 am

Hey JW, the gold bug is going great when it gets a chance to get out and about. 0.1g pieces are no challenge at all to the gold bug. Of course it wont detect them very deep, sometimes I find tiny little flakes that are not even worth bending down for. Ive learnt to evaluate the potential size of a target to some degree so sometimes I just leave those small bits to grow bigger. (By the way, alluvial gold does grow but not in our lifetimes). 0.08grms is a tough day!

1864hatter
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:12 pm

Some nice water worn bits there!! Nice work hatter..

Back to top Go down