Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First specimin (what a lovely surprise)

+3
deutran
Ash100456
Nuggsy
7 posters

Go down

First specimin (what a lovely surprise) Empty First specimin (what a lovely surprise)

Post  Nuggsy Sat May 05, 2012 5:39 pm

Knocked off early yesterday and thought it would be a good opportunity to get out for a few hours and try my luck.

I was travelling to my chosen destination when I asked a couple of mates who were with me if they had ever been into an old mine that we were passing by, they said they didnt know it even exisited as it was hidden from the road. They wanted to stop and check it out so we did, we started looking around the area and found another tunnel hidden behind blackberrys, my mates wanted to keep exploring so I went back to the car and got the detector. I got sick of the area very quickly as I could move the detector an inch without it screaming.

I decided to head up the gully a bit where the walls had eroded in hope that there wouldnt be so much rubbish. The bottom of the gully was still extremely trashy but I found the eroded slopes below the cliffs alot quieter with no rubbish at all. I walked along the slope and picked up a noise, "more friggin crap" I said out aloud. Moved around so my back was facing downhill, placed the detector on the ground, went to swing the pick when "f#@k me!" there she was staring up a me. A bit of quartz with a piece of gold poking its head out.

I covered the whole slope finding nothing else bar half a coke can.

I tried my luck down in the creek where I decided to wash the rock. I noticed a slight fracture so with a little tug it came apart. I pocketed the piece with the gold showing and waved thr other half over the coil and it screamed! I went back to the ute where I gently broke open both pieces to reveal two magnificent pieces.

Safe to say I was a very happy chap and cant wait to get back out again!

First specimin (what a lovely surprise) 46d61260
As I found it

First specimin (what a lovely surprise) 1c00d320
Breaking it open

First specimin (what a lovely surprise) C5f95181
Piece on the left has no quartz attached, one on the right is still attached to a small piece of quartz

First specimin (what a lovely surprise) F8e432e0
All my finds so far 4.5g

Total weight of gold that was in the quartz is 1.8g

Nuggsy
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2012-01-20

Back to top Go down

First specimin (what a lovely surprise) Empty Re: First specimin (what a lovely surprise)

Post  Ash100456 Sat May 05, 2012 5:48 pm

Congrats, Dont you just love it when it's stareing up at ya ! Great Find , Great story & pics !
Cheers
Ashley
Ash100456
Ash100456
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 893
Registration date : 2009-11-05

Back to top Go down

First specimin (what a lovely surprise) Empty Re: First specimin (what a lovely surprise)

Post  deutran Sat May 05, 2012 6:58 pm

Hey Nuggsy fantastic post and congratulations on the find,very nice photography as well.It was your good fortune yesterday.
Steve

deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

First specimin (what a lovely surprise) Empty Re/first specimin ( what a lovely surprise)

Post  moffa Sat May 05, 2012 7:10 pm

Congratulations Nuggsy,
What a great find,very interesting reading,and excellent pics,
Well done ,Cheers Moffa

moffa
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2012-02-09

Back to top Go down

First specimin (what a lovely surprise) Empty Re-first-specimen(what-a-lovely-surprise)

Post  Guest Sat May 05, 2012 7:16 pm

Congrats on your first specie there Nuggsy, it is great to look down and they are just staring back at you. Very Happy

Cheers.

Mike. cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  Cams 4500 Sat May 05, 2012 8:21 pm

Story + gold = Excellent. Well done.
Cams 4500
Cams 4500
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 393
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post  scjonrob Sat May 05, 2012 9:48 pm

Bravo Sir....Bravo. Great find.

JR
scjonrob
scjonrob
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 248
Registration date : 2012-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post  bedrock Sat May 05, 2012 10:40 pm

Hi nuggsy, what a great late easter surprise,
it is just the most exciting way of finding gold that is encased in quartz
and you get that good signal coming out of it.
congrats and keep searching that area.
good luck
bedrock

bedrock
bedrock
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1063
Registration date : 2010-05-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Nuggsy Sun May 06, 2012 8:46 am

Thabks guys! Still cant get over the fact that it was sunny side up. The colour really is something else, I thought the pieces I have found so far were bright but seeing it in its raw state is just unreal, its so bright and glistens in the sun. Would love to find some more like this!

Nuggsy
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2012-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun May 06, 2012 9:06 am

Nice find Nuggsy, Yes those speci that hide in quartz hey..

I suppose not having been exposed to the air for hundreds of millions years the tiny amount of impurity embedded in the Gold hasn't oxidized...The gold looks like it was formed yesterday..Beautiful Very Happy

Cheers
A

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun May 06, 2012 10:38 am

nice pieces there mate
well done
cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun May 06, 2012 6:18 pm

Enjoyed the story & really enjoyed your pics ... Very Happy
Good effort bro & congrats !!!!
Regards
Gully Hunter

Back to top Go down