Help with removing gold from quartz

Go down

Help with removing gold from quartz Empty Help with removing gold from quartz

Post  Nuggets1967 on Wed May 02, 2012 11:42 pm

Hello all, been reading posts for a while now, finally got the courage to ask my first question, we are very green (6 months) when it comes to gold detecting and have caught the fever bug big time. So far been out 5 times (summer come along) with the GPX 5000 and done very well I think (talking grams not ounces at this stage) and not confident enough to even change factory settings as yet, anyway we have found abit of quartz containing gold about 15 quartz pieces and I really want to remove to quartz to get to the gold, at the moment some of rocks are soaking in pool acid, from what I have read I am thinking this process is used for cleaning nuggets not actually removing quartz??? I also smashed one with a sledge hammer (only smashed the rock up no gold came out). Any feedback would be greatly appreciated on how to rectify this situation, from what i can see I believe the gold content is very high and I don't want to mess it up, better still is there anybody in Perth that can remove the quartz for us. We live in the Pilbara and will be down in the city for the weekend.

Nuggets1967
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2012-05-02

Back to top Go down

Help with removing gold from quartz Empty Re: Help with removing gold from quartz

Post  Guest on Thu May 03, 2012 6:25 pm

Hi, Welcome to this forum. Yes what a great hobby / pasttime.
When you smashed up the rock, did you do it in a confined space so you could not loose gold? If here is gold in specimen and you break it up, you would find gold. With your specimens, can you see any gold on them or are they just giving signals with nothing visable?
To clean up specimins you could soak for a few weeks in alibrite (septone product $15. for 1lt.) Just be carefull handling it as it has percentage if hydrofloric acid in it. Worse than battery acid.
Best way is to break up quartz is in a dolly pot and then pan out gold.
If there is no ironstone in specimen you could try doing a wet and dry weight and work out rough weight of gold (gravity test). Is only a rough estimate of gold content.

Back to top Go down

Help with removing gold from quartz Empty Re: Help with removing gold from quartz

Post  Nuggets1967 on Thu May 03, 2012 9:24 pm

Thanks for the reply travelergold, when I broke up the rock I did it in a pillowslip, once removing the crushed quartz I ran the metal detector over the pillowslip and no signal was detected, I can see quite a bit gold in some of the quartz, its very exciting. Will buy some alibrite and check out a dolly pot. Very much appreciate the advice.

Nuggets1967
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2012-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Fri May 04, 2012 9:09 am

Hi nuggets, Once you break up the quartz you will be very inlikely to get any signal on your detector unless the gold bits are large enough, you would definatly see it and pick it out with finger or tweezers. We have broken up many specimins and the detector picks them up because of concentration of gold in quartz. If the gold is fine gold, once crushed detector would only get signal if all heaped into small area.
Breaking up gold in pillow slip !!!! would be holes everywhere in it.
To make cheap dollypot get some pipe and weld some flat plate on one end. Then use solid steel rod / bar / crowbar ect in pot. That way all concentrate is contained within pot. Have some depth in pipe, ie 12" long and 3 or 4" in diameter. This is size we use as is easy to travel with and not to heavy. We use small crowbar as pounder and then crowbar comes in handy in calcrete and hard ground areas where we go.
Cheers

Back to top Go down

Help with removing gold from quartz Empty Re-help-with-removing-gold-from-quartz

Post  Guest on Fri May 04, 2012 10:07 pm

Gday Nuggets1967 and welcome to the forum, as Travelergold has said dolly pot is the go I made up one years ago and it travels with us every where we go, have used it countless times it really is the way to go. Very Happy

Cheers.

Mike. cheers

Back to top Go down