Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NFA 16" Spoked Coil

2 posters

Go down

NFA 16" Spoked Coil Empty NFA 16" Spoked Coil

Post  G.B. Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:11 am

Hi all.

Lately I've been using an 11 mono commander coil mostly on my 4500 shallow ground but am thinking of trying deeper ground with a 16" spoked NFA that I purchased about the same time as the 4500. Haven't had much use with the 16 only about two hours total but did find it ran quiet except when there was a lot of emi

From those that have used this combination how did find the match up, would you recommend it. Any problems pitfalls ect'

Advice on any settings you found worked best would be greatly appreciated as would any other relevant advice also. Destination Golden Triangle.

I noticed there is not much info posted on the 16" compared to other sized coils

Thanks G.B.

G.B.
G.B.
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1268
Registration date : 2012-01-31

Back to top Go down

NFA 16" Spoked Coil Empty Re: NFA 16" Spoked Coil

Post  deutran Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:01 pm

Hi G.B
The 16" works just fine on the 4500.I would increase the Rx a bit to increase its sensitivity to small gold.
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:46 pm

Hi G.B,

I like this coil and use it on my 4500,and like Deutran has said to keep the gain a bit higher if conditions allow.It has good ground coverage and is not too heavy for all day use using a hipstick.I try and use it with a setting of around 10 for RX gain,and 7 or 8 on the stablizer.I have found small 0.1g bits with it and quite a few multi gram bits.It will punch down deep giving one a chance at finding deep gold.ATB with using your 16 " coil too as quite a few detectorists like them Smile

Cheers Eureka Dreams

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:10 pm

Hi G.B,

Just come across a recent post of yours on your first find cheers well done...Just a bit more info on the 16" NFA round..(the 16" Coiltek version is good too)..well as i have said i`m quite happy with this size coil and use it in conjunction with my standard coil the 17"x11" NFA.You can be confident that the 16" is punching deep on a good size range of nuggets.I also have the 12" NFA round and 8" Commander round,i have used these often as well and each coil has its merits and will be better suited for certain situations.

Well i mentioned in a recent post that i was working some new ground using my 16" and had not found anything yet,well yesterday the 16" earned its keep again when i came across a 3.4g nugget Very Happy ...well ok it was not deep at 6 inches and any of my coils would have found it...but they didn`t. Smile I continued searching the immediate area more carefully and moving outwards,and i did detect a small size shot that sang out so the 16" will not miss much.I will of course now go back over that area with say the 17"x11'' and then the 12'' round just in case there are smaller bits to be had.

There was a fair bit of EMI around yesterday and the ground was very noisy where my find was,so i was using a Rx of 9 and stabilizer around 7 to 8 in Deep search and Deep audio,and even though it was still a bit chirpy i could hear targets loud and clear.I do put it into Normal audio and that smooths the response but i feel the Deep audio gives me a better target response so i put up with it being a bit chirpy.

By using all your coils over your search area you will find that each has a sweet spot for certain size targets and at certain depths,and that they all see the same targets at certain depths,and then they will just outperform in other situations...e.g using an 18" or 16" to find deeper bigger gold...and at the other extreme using say an 8'' or 12" to find small gold...Just some thoughts.

ATB..and get to know all your coils as you will be delighted when you get the best out of them.

Cheers Eureka Dreams

Back to top Go down