Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

18"NF mono Solid or open

3 posters

Go down

18"NF mono Solid or open Empty 18"NF mono Solid or open

Post  TWO BOB Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:51 pm

Hi,
Wish to get comment from those who use large coils for long hours.
As the price for a solid or open 18" NF mono are the same. Is it worth the extra weight of the solid so as not to catch on sticks/rocks?confused

Solid 1220 gms

-Open 860 gms

Heavier 360 gms

Your feed back will be welcome.
TWO BOB
TWO BOB
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 274
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

18"NF mono Solid or open Empty Re: 18"NF mono Solid or open

Post  TheGoldenChild Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:13 pm

Definately, just put a new solid skid plate on my 18" NFA (spoked), now I can bulldoze it thru the scrub without getting caught on anything, just have to clean it more often as the top is opened.
The extra weight might be a bit of a pain for most but being solid you can scrub it on the ground to get max depth out of the coil and also hear the small faint ones you would have probably missed if swinging an inch above the ground. Small price to pay for the above advantages and with the aid of a HipStick and if you're fit enough shouldn't be a problem swinging it all day. I just wished the solids were available when I bought mine a year and a half ago Crying or Very sad .
TheGoldenChild
TheGoldenChild
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 688
Registration date : 2010-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Cams 4500 Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:09 pm

I am in the process of buying a 14" NF round and have decided to get the spoked version for the weight saving and I reckon easier to pinpoint as you can see and pick the spot. Was very close to getting the solid.
Cams 4500
Cams 4500
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 393
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

18"NF mono Solid or open Empty RE:18"NF mono Solid or open

Post  TWO BOB Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:34 am

Thanks to TheGoldenChild & Cams4500,

I think I will go for the solid for reasons given. It,s nice the price,s on all NF are now 10% cheaper.

Cheers

"TWO BOB"
TWO BOB
TWO BOB
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 274
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:29 am

Gday TWO BOB,
The bigger NF coils are the go if your looking for that deep elusive one. Round or elliptical,each have their pluses and drawbacks.
If you swing in country where there are alot of shrubs,trees or rocks then the round coil will miss gold. Even though the round will give you greater depth than the elliptical,you will have to open up those deep holes even wider to get the coil in;and they can take alot of practice to pinpoint correctly with.
The elliptical coils are easier to pinpoint with in smaller diameter holes,better in woody country but you suffer a depth loss.
Some people prefer the solids,some the spoked. I get the occasional stick caught up in my NF Advantage 24x12 spoked, but a quick lift and turn of the coil and it falls free.Id rather have less weight than be stick free.Its great to pinpoint with and will pick up a 1.2 grm nugget at 9-10 inches easily.
All the best mate and good luck.

Back to top Go down