Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newman WA, Where to start

4 posters

Go down

Newman WA, Where to start Empty Newman WA, Where to start

Post  kristiangerathy Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:49 pm

Hi,

Im new to the game and have found a few bits of junk but nothing else. Im wondering if anyone in the area knows of people who i can learn a few things of even with correct settings etc or what to look for for good ground to search. iv spent a large amount of time searching and searching and reading and reading but as its a bit hush hush im finding it all very hard. Im happy to go looking where i have some ideas of there being oppurtunity and with acess to a work car with fuel im happy to travel but looking to learn some basics first. so if there is some things i should stear clear of or somethings i should look for in regards to theis area of WA and the pilbara let me know. I have doug stones book etc, just looking more at out there in the feild what to keep an eye out for or if i find beds of quarts on the flat ground around the newman district am i wasting time searching them?

thanks

kristiangerathy
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2012-03-17

Back to top Go down

Newman WA, Where to start Empty Re: Newman WA, Where to start

Post  Guest Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:42 pm

G'day Kristi and welcome to the forum

Yes it can be a challenge to begin with, even knowing what questions to ask so you can get some answers is difficult at first.

I don't know anything about the Newman area in WA and have not researched it at all, but I am sure there are ones on here who have.

As for helping with correct settings for your machine we will need to know what machine you have first?

I assume you have a WA miners right, but you also need to get to know how to use Tengraph for WA as well. This helps with showing where there is ground that you can access, live minning leases are a no go unless you have permission, exploration leases, you can gain access with a section 20a permit etc.

Google Earth is also your friend, get to know how to use it in conjuction with Tengraph and other mapping programs.

Here is a link to the Tengraph site for WA.
http://www.dmp.wa.gov.au/3980.aspx

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  pilbarachad Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:36 pm

Gday Kristi,

I dont reckon youd be wasting your time at all in quartz patches around Newman. Remember gold is found a couple of hours north and a few hours south so id be very surprised if there wasnt something around. Might have to head out of town a bit more?

Maybe its worth heading out to some of the better known gold producing areas with in a few hours drive just so that you can see the type of ground it gets pulled from aswell?

I get down there for work every now and again and have always wanted to have a swing but havent had the chance yet, maybe oneday soon.

Anyway good luck with it.

pilbarachad
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 130
Registration date : 2011-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:20 pm

Hi Kristi,
If you look outside it wouldn't be advisable to go anywhere for the next week.
Lua is making the countryside very inhospitable.

Good luck in the future.
Peter
Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

Back to top Go down

Post  kristiangerathy Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:05 pm

thanks lads!

The cyclone was a bit of a hoax and its over just rain. should be good to flush the creeks i suppose. Thanks for all your information! I have a eureka gold, just a starting machine, i have the instructions with the book and have located some bullet shells etc but after reading a few books it says up here withthe iron ore the settings have to be different and the intruction manuals are to get ground balance overseas more so than australia???? once again a bit lost haha, Im happy to wonder around but i dont want to wonder around to aimlessly, im a rather good at a few other hobbies of mine and have put in effort and found the gold within those hobbies and understand the hush hush business, and now with this im the rookie of all rookies! Any help is much appreciated. thanks again!

Kristian

kristiangerathy
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2012-03-17

Back to top Go down

Newman WA, Where to start Empty newman

Post  broc113559 Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:34 am

Hi kristian, I am gold mad but I work fifo and make time for my wife on weeks off. Last year I was lucky enough to be working at cape lambert with a company car for rdo onsite. every 2 weeks off I went and I become very familiar with my machine. this year I am working on the Jimblebar project and at this stage not mobile for rdos. I am staying at Kurra Lodge and would be happy for a chat, There is gold mines in the surrounds of newman but you need to research, I have started but not by much. I want to pick up a topographic map for newman and surrounds but newman news does not stock them so I'll get them from perth. I can show you round the tengraph system online if you like. my rdo was yesterday but it looks like the floodway is flooded on the nulligine road which means we should have tomorrow off. I run a gpx 4000 and gold stalker coil(in perth now)I could catch up if you like? tomorrow or one evening after 6pm if i am working.

broc113559
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2009-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post  broc113559 Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:48 am

kristian, I am not familar with your machine, but if you can find lead you can find gold. If you need info you are looking in the right place as these forum members are full of knowledge, search equipment types, problems, places or site names and someone will know.

broc113559
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:36 am

kristiangerathy wrote:thanks lads!

The cyclone was a bit of a hoax and its over just rain. should be good to flush the creeks i suppose.
Kristian

Kristian,
With respect you have noted you are a rookie.
You live in some of the most inhospitable country in Australia and you brush off Cyclone Lua as a hoax? Read the stats!
If Lua had passed directly over Port Headland or Newman the damage and possible injury/death would have been devastating.

You are obviously very naive, please don't take this personally, it is purely sound advice if you expect to live in this region for any extended time.

Our country is very unforgiving on those who venture out with out basic knowledge.
There is a very handy survival booklet handed out by WA Police, it is on this site.

Peter
Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  broc113559 Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:17 pm

Nightjar wrote:
kristiangerathy wrote:thanks lads!

The cyclone was a bit of a hoax and its over just rain. should be good to flush the creeks i suppose.
Kristian

Kristian,
With respect you have noted you are a rookie.
You live in some of the most inhospitable country in Australia and you brush off Cyclone Lua as a hoax? Read the stats!
If Lua had passed directly over Port Headland or Newman the damage and possible injury/death would have been devastating.

You are obviously very naive, please don't take this personally, it is purely sound advice if you expect to live in this region for any extended time.

Our country is very unforgiving on those who venture out with out basic knowledge.
There is a very handy survival booklet handed out by WA Police, it is on this site.

Peter

Although cyclones can be dangerous and this one was a huge cat 4 on the coast, Lua hit between Newman and jiggalong (which is basicly the constuction site at jimblebar) as a cat 1. the boys staying onsite in the flycamp said it was just a very windy. Here Newman airport received it's biggest gust being 80kms/hr and we recieved 33.8mm of rain. It didn't seem very strong but mind you we are in a big miners (bhp, and rio) mining town, very prepared where safety hits the upper boundry. I'm sure some people experienced big losses unmentioned because of remoteness ie Nullegine's prospecting community, I'm just happy here was tame. Still I might seek one of those booklets for reference.

broc113559
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:08 am

Take your pick Broc,

http://www.vks737.on.net/pdfs/survival.pdf

http://www.ca.com.au/~cabell/aidslist.htm

http://www.ozebook.com/campertrailer/survival/aids%20to%20survival%20v199.htm

Keep it safe out there.
Peter
Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  broc113559 Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:17 am

Nightjar. I haven't had too much time to view those pdfs but had a good glance at the survival guide and found it very interesting.. a good read for all. its amazing how one subject leads to another then out comes a suprise like a file you sent. thankyou.

broc113559
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down