Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4WD Gearboxes.....Auto V`s Manual

4 posters

Go down

4WD Gearboxes.....Auto V`s Manual Empty 4WD Gearboxes.....Auto V`s Manual

Post  Guest Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:58 am

Gday People,
Working in the Automotive industry and speaking to alot of customers (and Mechanics) about the Various new 4wd`s on the Market has brought this question to mind.
It seems that quite a few Manufacturers are getting a bad Rap about the new range of Manual Gearboxes. The Toyota Hilux 3.0ltr Turbo Diesels are having big problems with the clutch/gearboxes. Same as the Mazda BT-50/ Ford Ranger`s.
From all accounts,it looks like the Auto boxes are the way to go.
Any thoughts?

Back to top Go down

4WD Gearboxes.....Auto V`s Manual Empty Re-4WD Gearboxes.....Auto Vs Manual

Post  Guest Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:04 pm

Hi Gus I have 2005 Hilux mine is auto, my son and son in law have manual Hiluxes and none of us have had any problems in that area.

Cheers

Mike. Very Happy cheers

Back to top Go down

4WD Gearboxes.....Auto V`s Manual Empty Re: 4WD Gearboxes.....Auto V`s Manual

Post  Guest Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:01 pm

Good to hear your having no dramas Mike.
2 of my customers have gone through 2 clutches each on 2010 Hilux`s. Another customer has done 3 clutches and stuffed a gearbox on a 2011 Hilux.
Maybe they are just sh!t drivers Razz or there is another problem.
With the Mazda BT-50/ Ford Rangers;they are experiencing clutch shudder. Bad problem as the Flywheels cant be Machined because they are the counter-weighted variety. Only fix is to replace the Flywheel. Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

4WD Gearboxes.....Auto V`s Manual Empty Re-4WD Gearboxes......Auto Vs Manual

Post  Guest Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:02 pm

Hi Gus that sounds like an expensive job, I had the L.H.Rear axle bearing replaced at 70,000 kms, the water pump started to weep at the seal so had it replaced they also did the timing belt at the same time 100,000 kms they told me the water pumps only last about 5 years this is Toyota service manager, have done 130,000 kms now. The soninlaw had the injectors done under warranty his has done over 200,000 kms now. My sons only had the water pump replaced just befor mine, his has done 200,000 kms now. I suppose we have had a pretty good run.

Cheers

Mike

Back to top Go down

Post  rc62burke Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:15 pm

Hi Gus
It sound's like Shite drivers to me, this is the quickest way to wreck any vehicle, I have had my Hi-Lux 1990 for 17yrs 550000k's have just done the gear box, I'm a Plumber by trade so it used to carry alot of gear, oversize wheels will damage the gearbox.
cheers
Lee
rc62burke
rc62burke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:02 am

Gday rc62burke,
The 3.0ltr common rail diesels are a different beast to the old 2.8ltr diesels. Toyota have also had a few recalls of late,so they just dont build em like they used to. The biggest problem with this current batch of injected diesels is the injectors only last about 80 000 kms. Replacement is about $4000 plus labour Shocked
I do between 50 000-60 000 kms a year so that means I would be up for a new set every 1 1/2 years.
The other problem with these new age injectors are that they run under high pressure and if they sense water,you have 20 mins driving until the injector manually shuts down. This happened to a friends friend on his property at Coonabarrabran. He was miles from the shed,the injector shut down and he siezed the motor. Toyota wouldnt touch it under warranty. Replacement motor was $15 850 on a 2011 Hilux.

Back to top Go down

Post  Cams 4500 Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:40 am

Biggest issue is the new cars now use a dual mass flywheel. So many people are wearing them out too soon, and forget towing any substantial load with them. The new flywheels are supposed to make the clutch easier to use and have less vibration. Why change things? Anyone buying a manual knew what to expect and the old style clutches would last for ages.

I tow a 2.3t van and would not touch a new manual.

I hadn't heard about the injector issues, hasn't been mentioned on the Pajero forums that I have noticed, I have a 2010 NT Paj auto DiD.
Cams 4500
Cams 4500
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 393
Registration date : 2012-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post  deutran Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:48 am

I have heard similar stories back at Eden from a mechanic about the clutches and gearboxes.
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:38 am

Nearly everything made these days has planned or programmed obsolescence built in to it.
Injectors failing after 80k km, sounds like it for sure.
Try a bit of biodiesel in the mix to give it some lube- they might last longer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planned_obsolescence

Cheers, FF.

Back to top Go down

Post  rc62burke Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:27 pm

Hi All
Well I guess I did the right thing then by repairing my old ute instead of tossing it on the scrap heap, It's a bit rough & ready (ugly duclikng) but you just can't fault it in the bush.
From my experience I think manuals are better for true off road work just gives you more hands on control of what is going on, it makes you drive the damn thing.
Lee
rc62burke
rc62burke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:13 pm

Not to mention, you can roll start a manual!

Back to top Go down

Post  Stealth914 Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:31 pm

Yep its a dam shame everthing is made to throwaway specs these days. I was looking forward to updating 4wd's to the new shape but after the new 4wd's problems I too will be rebuilding the one I got & getting another 500 000km of no worries traveling.
Also don't like the lack of suspension in these new independant wagons these days I like a vehicle that flex's rather than tilting & lifting wheels.

Done the cape trip last sept with no front swaybar at all in my ol GQ Patrol & it was so comfy & had that much more traction & control that even now I don't run it.

These new vehicle problems are why the old ones are still bringing good money although I bought this 97 GQ 5 years ago its insurance value has also risen this year by over a grand.

I'll keep the ol girl a couple more years I think.

Stealth914
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2013-05-09

Back to top Go down