Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

gpx 4000 smooth mode or extra

2 posters

Go down

gpx 4000 smooth mode or extra Empty gpx 4000 smooth mode or extra

Post  papoutsi Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:38 am

hi guys , l have a 4000 and have read so many different reports about using sensitive smooth or extra . Been getting nothing using smooth mode lately but when switch to extra find it hard to make detector quite . Can anyone give me some advice on this matter . cheers papoutsi

papoutsi
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 621
Registration date : 2012-02-16

Back to top Go down

gpx 4000 smooth mode or extra Empty Re: gpx 4000 smooth mode or extra

Post  Guest Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:55 am

Try running in Sensitive/Deep on the front panel and run the Gain on 9-10 on the back menu.
If your detecting quiet areas with shallow Pipe Clay,switch to Extra from Smooth and see how you go.

Back to top Go down

gpx 4000 smooth mode or extra Empty papoutsi

Post  papoutsi Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:58 am

Thanks Gus will do , areas l have been in are quite noisy so will try finding different ground . cheers

papoutsi
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  chopppacalamari Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:50 am

G'day mate.

I've got a 4000 too and I've come to preferr running in sensitive extra all the time. I'll only go to smooth when it's a really noisy day EMI wise. I'd rather back the gain down to 5 or 6 than be on smooth with a gain of 9 or 10.

I used smooth a lot when I was learning my machine and i'm glad I did. But I've seen a little nugget pulled out from ground that i'd just gone over with my 4000 on sensitive smooth. After the laughs about I missed one I missed one. I've gone over the target again which didn't register at all. On sensitive extra the target was loud and clear even though there was more background chatter and a few groanings from mineralised ground. The target was easily recognised as an easy to hear target.

If you are in very hot ground, try using the DD coil running on DD with the gain on maximum of 15. I've found 6 subgrammers this year so far with this set up the smallest was 0.1g. at about 3 inches.

For more setup info check out stoppsy's video in the "members videos" section. He became a master on the 4000 before he upgraded.

Good luck.

Dicko..
chopppacalamari
chopppacalamari
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 660
Registration date : 2008-12-13

Back to top Go down

gpx 4000 smooth mode or extra Empty thanks

Post  papoutsi Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:16 am

thanks Dicko can't wait to get back out . papoutsi

papoutsi
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:51 am

i mostly ran my old 4000 in sensitive extra but if i hit ground that was realy noise i would flick into smooth.
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post  papoutsi Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:38 pm

thx stoppsy ,love your videos mate you inspired me to get out there . thanks papoutsi

papoutsi
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

gpx 4000 smooth mode or extra Empty Re-GPX4000 smooth or extra

Post  Guest Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:57 am

Hi Papoutsi when I had my 4000 I bought the super sound signal booster, most of the time I ran smooth in mineralized ground but In the quiet ground would run in extra you need to tweak your gain and try to get it running as smooth as possible so you could hear those faint changes, I found plenty of sub gram nuggets as well as plenty of plus gramers, favorite coil on this machine was the early white 14*9" NF did have a lot of fun with this set up. Hope this helps you and good luck on your next outing. Very Happy

Cheers

Mike cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  papoutsi Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:18 am

thx mike will give your settings ago , seems everyone loves the ng 14 x 9 coil . cheers papoutsi

papoutsi
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down