Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

purity of triangle gold ?

+5
kon61
Cal
onebob
wedderburn
goldminer997
9 posters

Go down

purity of triangle gold ? Empty purity of triangle gold ?

Post  Guest Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:29 pm

can someone tell me , a ball park figure , the purity of triangle gold. would it be as high as 90% ? does purity vary much in the triangle ?
i`ve recently been told the golden triangle has the most pure gold in Australia and Queensland has the least pure , but when i used to pan and sluice around Sofala the locals there used to tell me Sofala had the most pure gold in the world.
cheers dave

Back to top Go down

purity of triangle gold ? Empty purity of triangle gold

Post  goldminer997 Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:08 pm

hi dave
vic gold ranges from about 90% to 94% up north depending on its source , mogo nsw has the highest purity on the east coast of australia at 97% so do not worry about it just get those nuggets into the jar happy hunting
sean goldminer997
goldminer997
goldminer997
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2010-08-25

http://www.coasttocoastprospectingtours.com

Back to top Go down

purity of triangle gold ? Empty Re: purity of triangle gold ?

Post  Guest Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:59 pm

I have heard of an area around the Triangle where it's in the 60-70% range as it's got more copper and silver in with the gold.

Back to top Go down

purity of triangle gold ? Empty Purity of triangle gold

Post  wedderburn Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:34 pm

G,Day Pheonix, I can tell that clean gold from around Wedderburn runs out around 94-96% purity. One only has to travel 45KMS across to St Arnaud and purity can be down around 65%, the balance being mainly silver, which we found out to our horror back in the SD 2000 early days, hope this is a help cheers

wedderburn
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2012-01-24

Back to top Go down

Post  onebob Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:52 am

some would say that Waanyarra has the purest gold ........
http://www.waanyarra.com/gold.html

onebob
onebob
onebob
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2010-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Cal Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:30 am

Ballpark for the triangle is 94-97% - I've known one of the gold buyers for over 30 years. Some specific reefs produced 99% (eg some Amherst gold runs at this, as does some Maryborough, some Ballarat etc and I'm sure many other specific reefs). As mentioned, a few faults running through St Arnaud/Avoca area has a high silver content (producing greenish tinged alluvial). Not all St Arnaud gold has a high silver content (different reef lines)

A lot of Queensland/Papua New Guinea gold also has a high silver content, especially the wire gold from for eg Georgetown, but leaf gold from for eg Charters Towers has extremely high gold content (being excessively flat octohedral crystals).

Hope this helps,

Cheers Cal
Cal
Cal
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2008-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:14 pm

G'day Guys.

4.17%=1kt. I've sold gold in the past,coming from the Castlemain belt,Wedderburn belt,Ballarat belt right up to the Dargo and Omeo belt,to three individual gold dealers here in Vic,where after testing,not one dealer said it fell bellow the 22kt or 91.74% gold purity.All the gold content checked was found to be of a high purity,above the 22kt mark.Although there are some poorer (gold purity) locations in and around the triangle(not just in the St Arnaud/Avoca belt),as Cal stated,not all St Arnuad gold has a high silver content in it,it all depends on the type of matrix reef shedding the gold.Lucky for us,the very few so called poorer gold purity reefs in and around the triangle,are far and few in between.From past experiences,and even with numerous specific gravity tests on solid gold nuggets,found from various locations,I can safely conclude that the majority of gold found here in Victoria,is of quite high gold purity.

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  geof_junk Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:45 pm

I remember getting 96.4% & 94.5% for two lot refined for Marybough Vic and 92.5 and 93+% for Leonora WA parcels
geof_junk
geof_junk
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 933
Registration date : 2008-11-11

Back to top Go down

Post  bencld Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:31 pm

My brother had some gold from Avoca assayed into ingots recently and the report said the nuggets were 98.4 % pure. I have heard that Avoca gold is quite pure !

Chris.
bencld
bencld
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2008-10-24

Back to top Go down

Post  Cal Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:46 am

Sorry Chris, I should have added in my previous post that as for St Arnaud, not all Avoca gold has high silver content (in fact only a few reefs in the area).

While I'm here, I'll add a related topic that may be of interest. The greater majority of impurities in triangle gold is silver, so a nuuget from the triangle has roughly the same composition as the Sydney Mint design gold sovereign coin (1855 to 1870) which has 92% gold 8% silver. This was unique among gold coinage and led to many of them being melted down for their extra silver as their counterparts did not cotain this (Gresham's Law at work!). US gold coins and British gold coins (and later Australian gold coins) are 92% gold 8% copper, giving them a darker appearance from the copper

http://www.cruzis-coins.com/sovs/sov3.html

Cheers Cal
Cal
Cal
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:16 am

thanks for the replys guys
the reason i asked is one of the adds that pop up on our forum pages was a link to a gold buyer/seller in Melbourne. i phoned them up and had a talk to them about their buy price for sub grammers. their buy price is spot times purity minus 2%. a lot of buyers pay spot minus 15%.
spot price today is 51.73 per gram , so IF my gold is 95% pure their buy price is
51.73 x .95 - 2% = $48.16 per gram
spot minus 15% = $43.97 per gram
$4.19 per gram difference. thats quite a bit if you are selling a few ounces or more.
i think i`ll be giving them a call when i want to sell
cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Cal Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:57 am

That's a very good price for small stuff Phoenix, do you know if there is a minimum amount they will take at a time?

Thanks, Cal
Cal
Cal
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:51 am

Cal wrote:That's a very good price for small stuff Phoenix, do you know if there is a minimum amount they will take at a time?
Cal hi
i`ve never dealt with them , they were just one of the ads that popped up at the top of the forum pages (they replaced Stephanie). when i called them i said probably a couple of ounces , they said no probs and they pay cash money. i imagine they wouldn`t have a minimum amount , give them a call .
cheers dave
http://www.melano.com.au/

Back to top Go down

Post  thelion Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:08 am

Sorry Peoples the purest Gold in Victoria at least, comes from Russell's Creek near the Tanjil river, Hill End. Over 99% pure to the extent in the sixties it wasnt measurable.

thelion
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2013-02-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:08 pm

thelion wrote:Sorry Peoples the purest Gold in Victoria at least, comes from Russell's Creek near the Tanjil river, Hill End. Over 99% pure to the extent in the sixties it wasnt measurable.
Thats pretty impressive I think , I wonder how many people know this Fact ?

Thanks for bringing it to light .

There is a tiny bit of mercury in the creek too so i guess that would affect the purity if you happen to pan some up with your gold .

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:15 pm

cheers Rushworth  Vic . Our claim  went from 96% to 98%  verified by the Perth mint cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  snapper Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:16 am

I just recently sold some gold to a Fremantle gold buyer and as there were to many nuggets to test all of them he picked out 12 nuggets to get an average of the purity,
He picked out the larger ones and put them under the xray, all of the twelve nuggets came from within a few ks of each other as i reconized each nugget and knew where it came from. { as you do when you dig up the bigger ones ]
Only a small range of hills seperated 8 of the nuggets from the other four and the 8 were between 96% and 98% and the other four were 89% to 93%.
So thats a big difference in % in just a few ks.
snapper
snapper
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 279
Registration date : 2012-01-05

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum