Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coil Technology

+7
waznme
kon61
granite2
Harb
Qld Sandy
piston broke
Narrawa
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Coil Technology - Page 2 Empty Re: Coil Technology

Post  Narrawa Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:13 am

Full apologies Jim, iv not read that on the website due to my not being, and never have been, a big coiltek fan. Still, not really encouraging for those with older models. Yet I'll bet my bottom $ im not the only one who missed that write up. Embarassed
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1885
Registration date : 2008-10-22

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:20 pm

Id like to have more of a whinge if i may....? Rolling Eyes ... Razz

An 11" Commander mono b4 the 5k came out was $245.....its now round $280 and made overseas....you might get lucky, and get a good one...you might get a medei-ocker one....you may get a stuffed one and have to send it back at your cost too.
The NF range of coils sports a new bracket, and thinner skid plate that can wear out in a few weeks....an ongoing cost for a coil thats really no better than its predecessors... that had a black polly stye skid plate that is still in service years latter.??? Since the bracket of the NF coils was not really a big issue...id rather pay the little extra they bunged onto the price of the coil for this "must have item" in the form of a decent skid plate.

The cost this last 6 months on skid plates 1x Com 11" ...2x 17x11s... 2x 14x7s prospecting near full time, has put a huge question mark over the price of coils...technology in my eyes...has not advanced, but gone backwards. You pay more now for the same garbage ya did just a year or so ago.??
Pure ripp-off!!....yet we/you....congratulate the manufacturers on a job well done.

PS, dont embarrass yourself by telling me to lift the coil. Rolling Eyes

rant over. Laughing
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:47 pm

What was that Narrawa? Lift the coil off the ground? Don't even think about it. Manufacturers should lift their game and stop with the cheap nasty drips and drabs they call coils and detectors today.Apart from cheaper,pathetic componentry,very little has changed today in terms of leaps and bounds towards metal detecting technology.This is also getting worse with every passing year.Is there no end to this tormentment? What the hell happened to quality? 99.999% Refined China made.We're one step closer to; Item to be used "Once Only" and then chucked out. Laughing elephant afro What a Face

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:58 pm

Narrawa wrote:

PS, dont embarrass yourself by telling me to lift the coil. Rolling Eyes

rant over. Laughing

Hey mate I agree, if there is an air gap then it's to high. But like you say it comes at a price, skid plates for the 11" commander were $15 when I wore the first one out and now, well I think I paid something like $28.

Best learn how to make skid plates ay. Shocked

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:21 pm

I have an idea on fixing skid plates.....i'll post a youtube when i get around to it, if it works out.....however if you see an add of mine wanting warn out skid plates...you'll know im onto something before i spill my guts. Very Happy Very Happy And i'll pinch any skid plates i see hanging in trees of discarded in the bush. Very Happy

The day for being brand loyal is gone......Fords look like Holdens and Chinese detectors look like Minelabs. Laughing Laughing

Just a couple of years ago i bought 2 coils from a shop in Vic for $630....a 17x11 & 16 round, both NF white models. Admittedly i payed in gold ....woteva! ....Today that combo cost $920 affraid

Its no wonder so many get diddled with coils on ebay, their just looking for a break.

Perhaps the Chinese could make them cheaper.......no moving parts or electron flow in a skid plate, so what could possibly go wrong.??? lol!

Coils on the ground, hear the fainter sound.!! ....hmmm? new slogan....pay me and you can use it..... or i'll swap for skid plates. Laughing

Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:07 pm

as you blokes rightly say skid plate techno hasnt changed at all--they are the same old aneorecsic covers that originally came out years ago--u think they would have put a bull nose around the bottom edge --not real hard--

otherwise just wrap a piece of clear plastic hose around the coil--problem solvered..

Another solution would be to get 5min araldite-- wait about a minute and smear it onto the leading edge of your skid plate--that should do the trick--not real expensive either..the wear time on your skid plate should quadruple--put the money in the post..

regards
rocket science

Back to top Go down

Post  mulgadansa Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:29 am

Here ya go Narrawa Smile
http://s4.zetaboards.com/Gold_Detecting/topic/9678022/1/#new
cheers
Brett
mulgadansa
mulgadansa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 525
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:47 am

Hi Brett, on our one and only Advantage coil, i can turn it round to let the women destroy the back end after the front end is gone. Adv 14x7". These little buggers also wear out on the side edges...thats not an easy fix. The reason they wear on the edge so quick is because the Advantage range of coils have a very square edge, unlike the older white models which were round. That square edge at the 90% mark is the weakest link.... iv tried taping it up when the skid is new, but this is just a bandied in reality.
Iv got a few ideas for the 14x7 that should work in prolonging the skid plate...when i get around to the job i'll post it up.

On my 17x11, i cut away the small bit where the coil cable is housed, this allows me to turn the skid plate around and wear the the other end.
My 17x11 coil wears out on the bottom of the very tip, not the sides. This happens not so much from the coil being on the ground while detecting, but from pin-pointing. I have some of that electrical tape thats rubbery, has no sticky side so has to be gone over with using the std coil tape to hold it in place. I dont use it simply because the sides of the white coils dont have the 90% edge and dont suffer the same wear problems as those with the sharp edge.
This year i did not use and coil tape on my 17, i simply used a cable tie on the front and back spokes...much faster and simpler for cleaning the coil of debris.

Good pic of your setup and well done for showing it, but in reality we the end user should not have to go this far for the price being charged.

Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:53 am

True as Bloke,no value in todays coils thats for sure!
As you said,everything is rubbish today. Someone tried to tell me just yesterday that China has lifted its game scratch yeah right.
Went into K-Mart the other day for the first time in years.....all Chinese garbage.
Seems the K really stands for KRAP these days!

Back to top Go down

Post  mulgadansa Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:19 am

Narrawa
I've got an old red brick Coiltek Mini UFO and I cut the skid plate to fit the outer rim only, so it wouldn't carry all the dust and twigs etc. Siliconed it on. The bloody thing never looks like wearing out. Wish NF had made theirs that profile and out of that material. They are very ordinary but the coils are brilliant.
cheers
Brett
mulgadansa
mulgadansa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 525
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:34 am

Make enough noise and someone is bound to hear it. Razz

My idea involves black polly pipe...the rest is not hard to work out, and many that have and WILL improve on the skid plates, will soon show their handy work for the rest to follow.
Maybe then someone will hear that the market will no longer tolerate garbage being sold for the price of gold.

Brett, the idea sounds robust on that coil as its edges are also very sharp. Looked after i think the UFO will outlast all other coils due to its build.

Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2