Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Quartz and Fossilised Shells

2 posters

Go down

Quartz and Fossilised Shells Empty Quartz and Fossilised Shells

Post  G.B. Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:38 pm

Hi Everyone,

I am only new at detecting but have a question the answer to which could be of interest to many.
Many years ago before I had ever even thought about gold and detecting, (I was and still am a keen fisherman) whilst hiking across country trying to find access to a fairly remote trout stream in Victoria I stumbled across a ridge which sloped gently down to a small valley. What caught my attention was that the ground was littered with strewn quartz pieces and what I know realise were fossilised oyster shells. This area was located well above sea level. I can't recall if there were any other types of rocks mixed in as it was the whiteness of the quartz and shells that caught my eye. I know now that gold was discovered in the same mountain range but at far distance from the location I'm referring to.

My question is apart from the fact of the quartz would this area be worth detecting given the fossilized shells strewn about or would the shell indicate that no gold would be present eg old sea bed ect

Interested in your opinions.

Thanks. G.B.
G.B.
G.B.
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1268
Registration date : 2012-01-31

Back to top Go down

Quartz and Fossilised Shells Empty Re: Quartz and Fossilised Shells

Post  kon61 Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:32 pm

G'day G.B Welcome to the Forum.

Shells or no shells,if the quartz reef line near by was gold bearing, it be worth a swing.Many a quartz reef line or leader might look good or show signs of being associated with all the right colored minerals,but that still doesn't guarantee you that it was gold bearing.See if you could find any signs of old timers diggings surfacings or mullok holes in the surrounding area,for if you can,something drew their attention there to dig.So this would be a good place to start.

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down