Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coiltek Platipus coil on the Sovereign GT

2 posters

Go down

Coiltek Platipus coil on the Sovereign GT Empty Coiltek Platipus coil on the Sovereign GT

Post  Guest Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:46 am

Gday

Has anyone used one of the Coiltek platipus eliptical coils on the Soveriegn Gt and if so what is your opininion of it?, is it a coil worth getting for beach and park use?

Thanks in advance

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Coiltek Platipus coil on the Sovereign GT Empty Platypus coil

Post  goldy71 Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:03 pm

G'day stayyerAu,

I've been using the Platypus coil with the Minelab Explorer II fr the past 5 or so years and found that it was much better than the original coil. I mainly use it for beach work and noticed an increase in depth and sensitivity. Can't say about the Sov GT though.

All the best,

Goldy

goldy71
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2011-12-05

Back to top Go down

Coiltek Platipus coil on the Sovereign GT Empty Re: Coiltek Platipus coil on the Sovereign GT

Post  Guest Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:18 am

Gday Goldy

Thanks for the reply, I was not even aware until buying my most recent Sovereign that they even made a platypus coil for it, all I had in mind is that the platypus being an eliptical type coil is that it could be a bit more sensitive than the round standard coil, and possibly a little better to use if I wanted to use the Sovereign on any goldfields areas.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Coiltek Platipus coil on the Sovereign GT Empty Re: Coiltek Platipus coil on the Sovereign GT

Post  Ash100456 Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:45 pm

G'day StayyerAU, Was talking to Trevor at Coiltek on thursday re the GT, They have 2 coils that are renowned with the GT, 10 x 5 Elliptical Joey ( Water Resistant ) & the 12 x 8 Elliptical All Terrain/Platypus which is waterproof. Intend getting one of them so will be interested to see any further replies to your post. Both coils as stated on the broshure " Can be used to suit E-TRAC, Quattro, Safari, Explorer & Sovereign series detectors "
Cheers
Ashley
Ash100456
Ash100456
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 893
Registration date : 2009-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:06 am

Ash100456 wrote:G'day StayyerAU, Was talking to Trevor at Coiltek on thursday re the GT, They have 2 coils that are renowned with the GT, 10 x 5 Elliptical Joey ( Water Resistant ) & the 12 x 8 Elliptical All Terrain/Platypus which is waterproof. Intend getting one of them so will be interested to see any further replies to your post. Both coils as stated on the broshure " Can be used to suit E-TRAC, Quattro, Safari, Explorer & Sovereign series detectors "
Cheers
Ashley

Gday Ashley

I have been looking at both of those coils, then also looking at the brochure it says they both come as either dd or mono, one of the things that I think the 10x5 (mono) would be good for is picking up fine jewellery items like earings and chains and possibly smaller nuggets, even the 10x5 (dd) would be slightly more sensitive due to it being eliptical than the standard 11" round coil it comes with., so even that could have some advantages.

The platipus coil shape in my opinion would be more sensitive to smaller targets than the round standard coil as well and give you better ground coverage on the beach or in parks, but I suppose the descrimination mode might only work when there is a dd coil attached?, so I guess all round for parks and beaches the dd coil would be the way to go.

cheers

stayyer

Back to top Go down