Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What coil for worst ground.

2 posters

Go down

What coil for worst ground. Empty What coil for worst ground.

Post  Beer Beeper Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:42 am

In an area so very highly mineralized (shallow) ground where either a small elliptical Mono or big round Mono coil will "not" work properly on a GPX-4500 even at gain 3 in Sensitive Smooth:

1)-What handles very highly mineralized ground the best, a small elliptical DD or big round DD.??
(I know a big Mono will handle bad ground better than a small Mono. BUT my theory is that a small DD will handle this bad ground better than a big DD if I am right or wrong.?)

2)-What handles very highly mineralized ground the best, a 5x10 CoilTek Joey DD or 5x10 Minelab Commander DD.??
(The Joey has copper wire and the Commander has Litz wire. My theory is the copper wire Joey will handle this bad ground better because it is a little less sensitive to the bad mineralization if I am right or wrong.?)

Beer Beeper
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2008-12-15

Back to top Go down

What coil for worst ground. Empty Re: What coil for worst ground.

Post  Goldbait Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:33 pm

from past experience, i would stay away from the very small mono coils and stick with your 11" mono.

maybe do a reset on your machine back to factory settings and go from there.
Goldbait
Goldbait
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 805
Registration date : 2010-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:13 pm

Totally agree with Goldbait ...
We are currently working an area " North of Dunolly " which is in highly mineralised ground , my first trip out there & i was using my NF Ellipticals - could not get these coils to run even part there of quiet ... ground balancing continously & could not even get close to scrubbing the coil ... TheGoldenChild was using his 11" mono & i couldnt believe how this coil handled the ground with ease . I believe he picked out 5 bits that day to my nothing.
I went & purchased a new 11" & have been back there twice pulling some nice bits at good depth on both trips.
This coil has now became my weapon of choice ...
Settings i am using on my 4500 in this highly mineralised ground : Motion = Slow , RX Gain = 10 ,Stabiliser = 7 , Audio = Normal , General , Enhance , Fixed , Mono .
Hope this helps..
Cheers
gully hunter

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:40 am

Gday

I would have to agree that the Minelab 11" round commander mono coil would be the best choice for this ground, small eliptical coils tend to be more sensitive but are harder to use in highly mineralised soils where the commander mono will be at its best.

The other option you have is to use the stock standard 11" dd coil and give it a try in pseudo mono setting, I think that you are also running your gain too low and that running in enhance may be a better option than sensitive smooth.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  Beer Beeper Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:01 am

Thank you, good information on the "Settings i am using on my 4500 in this highly mineralised ground : Motion = Slow , RX Gain = 10 ,Stabiliser = 7 , Audio = Normal , General , Enhance , Fixed , Mono ." Also with the the 11" mono Commander as the go from all of you.(The 12x15" mono Commander is also good.) I would have to get one as I do not have one yet.

You are right about the a small elliptical NF mono as mine being too noisy sometimes. Of course a small DD is good to use as well. Yes a pseudo mono setting handles bad ground better than a mono as well is good advice.

Beer Beeper
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2008-12-15

Back to top Go down