Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MAGNUM ELITE SPIDER 8.0 BOOTS for Detecting

+2
madmaverick
nero_design
6 posters

Go down

MAGNUM ELITE SPIDER 8.0 BOOTS for Detecting Empty MAGNUM ELITE SPIDER 8.0 BOOTS for Detecting

Post  nero_design Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:27 pm

MAGNUM ELITE SPIDER 8.0 BOOTS for Detecting Large
NOT MAGNUM ELITE SPIDERS: My choice of shoes for detecting in the past was almost always a comfortable pair of New Balance running shoes.

Someone recently criticized my so-called "fancy footwear" on another forum where I have never posted a picture before. These shoes (and gaiters) are anything else but fancy. I'm going to assume he was browsing the forum here in his spare time because this is the only place I've posted a picture of them. I've only worn them a few times but I'm impressed enough with them to write about them here if anyone has an interest in obtaining decent detecting shoes. In the past, people have suggested Red Back brand shoes and several others as well.

I was detecting on the ridge of a mountain top some time around three or four years ago in the middle of summer and my partner at the time remarked that I was wearing sneakers and that he did not feel they were adequate nor suitable for my feet in that environment. Now I have broad feet so I have always found boots to be uncomfortable and sneakers to be preferable. When I found myself detecting in a damp environment after rainfall, or near creeks and riverbanks, I took to wearing gumboots... but those are never comfortable, even in the best of times. If you're panning or sluicing, the gumboots are pretty much essential and you can get a great pair at Bunnings Hardware for under $20 the last time I looked.

Protecting your feet when detecting is very important. You'll be stepping on cactus spines, sharp rocks and insects, let alone need a good purchase on rock ledges. You'll stub your toes on rocks and stones all day long in soft shoes - so a reinforced toe area is a tall order when most shoes have steel caps in them.

Magnum Elite Spider 8.0 Work/Tactical Boots - in Desert Tan - 5469
Retails USA: AUD $179
Retails Australia: AUD $275
Retails Ebay: AUD $89-$59.40 plus international shipping ($32.85) or expedited shipping (6 days) ($42)
Sizes are in US sizes on US websites or from US Suppliers.
EBAY Item number from the supplier I bought from: 370549722376
* Arrival time was 6 Days from purchase via expedited shipping .

* Suede leather upper with highly breathable Aero Mesh
* Spidermesh lining
* Lightweight Vertical Build System
* Stabila-Flex lasting board
* Running shoe last
* Durable hardware
* Composite shank
* 3D2 Max comfort contoured sockliner
* Compression-molded EVA midsole

MAGNUM ELITE SPIDER 8.0 BOOTS for Detecting Original
Magnum Elite Spider 8.0 Work/Tactical 8" Boots - in Desert Tan - nice and clean before their breaking in phase.

I ordered a pair online via Ebay (see details above) and they took less than a week to arrive due to the faster postal service which I paid for. These boots were beautiful straight out of the box and I noticed at once that they were extremely well made. Not particularly heavy and surprisingly metal free.... except for the eyelets. Now the eyelets are so small and so far from your toes that the PI detectors ignored them but those eyelets still contained enough metal in them to trigger a sharp response if the detector coil is run over the eyelets themselves. Same with VLF machines which also responded clearly to them. But the soles, sides and all other aspects of the shoes are metal free and some overseas detector stores stock them just for use by nugget hunters in the Nevada and New Mexico areas.

The Magnum Elite Spider 8.0 boot is VERY comfortable to wear. They flex enough to be comfortable and they were rigid enough to take some hits. The "breathable" mesh on the sides allowed for air to come through although I have no idea of whether a snake fang might penetrate the side since most snakes can't bit a near-flat surface unaided. They needed to be unlaced part-way in order to fit them on and they needed to be delaced slightly to remove them again. The snake gaiters went straight over the top without any difficulty. I see online that many wearers of this shoe claim it is the most comfortable outdoor shoe they have worn. I normally wear band-aids and shoe liners whenever I break in new shoes but these shoes were comfortable enough to wear in the field for a couple of days and also to drive in on the way back to the city again.

MAGNUM ELITE SPIDER 8.0 BOOTS for Detecting Medium
Magnum Elite Spider 8.0 Work/Tactical Boots - quite comfortable under the Snake Gaiters.

These are great shoes and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone looking for protective footwear that is comfortable and practical on the gold fields. There's also quite a few prospectors out in Western Australia using them at the moment.
nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2081
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Back to top Go down

MAGNUM ELITE SPIDER 8.0 BOOTS for Detecting Empty hey nero

Post  madmaverick Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:21 pm

nice lookin boots,, the american sizes on ebay, how do they compare to our shoe size ?????

happy hunting
Steve and Lea
madmaverick
madmaverick
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2010-07-26

Back to top Go down

MAGNUM ELITE SPIDER 8.0 BOOTS for Detecting Empty Re: MAGNUM ELITE SPIDER 8.0 BOOTS for Detecting

Post  nero_design Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:53 pm

madmaverick wrote:nice lookin boots,, the american sizes on ebay, how do they compare to our shoe size ?????

happy hunting
Steve and Lea

You know, I'm not exactly certain. Here in Australia I tend to buy size 9.5. In US sizes, I wear 10.5 - it would appear that they are the same. The problem with shoe sizes in that there's a US, Japanese, Australian and a UK size.

Here is a chart that shows the conversion of shoe sizes:
http://www.aussiethings.com.au/articles.php?article=13

There's another conversion chart here:
http://www.internationalshoesizes.com/

Something worth noting is that the Spider Magnum Elite Spider 8.0 shoe is a wide (E) soled shoe and will not cramp the toes like most other boots do for those persons with wider feet.

nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2081
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Back to top Go down

MAGNUM ELITE SPIDER 8.0 BOOTS for Detecting Empty Boots & Sizes

Post  Tuflux Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:40 am

Your are right on the size comparison, Nero. 9.5 Aust seems to equate to 10.5 US.

Another excellent (metal free) boot is the Bates 8" Tactical Boot. I have purchased 2 pairs of these from Docs Detecting in the USA over teh years -

http://www.docsdetecting.com/docsplace/coiltek/coils4.html

Scroll down and on the right hand side of page - currently US$89.95 + p&p. Doc posts quickly. The boots are very soft under foot, breath well, and have excellent ankle support. They grip well on wet rocks as well.

I am extremely tough on these boots, having to hike and climb klms to get into my detecting spots - and then using them to remove the first layers of ground cover, earth and rosks on a signal. A pair of these boots lasted around 2yrs of this abuse before the glue around the toe started to give way (not surprising) and the mesh accross the top of one boot started to fray - due to the gear lever on my motorbike.

I haven't found them anywhere cheaper than Docs yet.

Tuflux
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

MAGNUM ELITE SPIDER 8.0 BOOTS for Detecting Empty Re: MAGNUM ELITE SPIDER 8.0 BOOTS for Detecting

Post  Guest Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:20 am

Flashy boots Nero Razz
Dont think the Suade likes moisture too much though. Seeing how its raining most times im in the bush lately Rolling Eyes I will stick with my Red Backs.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jigalong Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:30 pm

They are very beige aren't they. Also in the shop I noticed some very nice camo boots, that may not
clash quite so much with your most excellent (and spotless) gators.

Thank you for the information.

Jig.

Last edited by Jigalong on Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Apostrophe Man judged my post and found it wanting.)
Jigalong
Jigalong
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1316
Registration date : 2008-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post  CJ Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:07 am

Hate lace up boots

CJ
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:57 am

I like puppies

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:52 am

Hush Puppies? I remember them, the shoes that dont talk.

DINGO

Back to top Go down

Post  artrix Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:22 am

I think Nero is far more fashion conscious than I am when in the bush....... I look like a bag of s**t tied in the middle.

artrix
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 442
Registration date : 2009-12-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:25 am

Shoe Size Conversion chart.

http://www.i18nguy.com/l10n/shoes.html

Back to top Go down

Post  Jigalong Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:29 pm

That is interesting Adrian. Australian women's sizes are the same as USA men' sizes.

I see there was nobody in the world with a logical brain that could have made the inch (or cm) length the same as the size.

Jig.
Jigalong
Jigalong
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1316
Registration date : 2008-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:53 pm

Jigalong wrote:That is interesting Adrian. Australian women's sizes are the same as USA men' sizes.

I see there was nobody in the world with a logical brain that could have made the inch (or cm) length the same as the size.

Jig.

For a Country that claims to be world leaders;makes you wonder why that still use a monetry and measurement system that is so last century Question

Back to top Go down

MAGNUM ELITE SPIDER 8.0 BOOTS for Detecting Empty Them Boots!

Post  Guest Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:08 am

Thanks Nero, I've been checking out the Magnum boots today. They are up to 8.1 version now. However they also have a 5.1 which is a shorter version being 5 inches high instead of 8. So I bought a pair of the 5.1s on e-bay for 140- including postage. I really like the look of them, that and your evaluation of them sold me! Thanks once again.
Sparrowfart. sunny

Back to top Go down