Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A helping hand from beyond the Grave

Go down

A helping hand from beyond the Grave Empty A helping hand from beyond the Grave

Post  Guest Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:09 am

Gday All,
I had an `experience` a few years back that I thought was worthy of telling.
A mate and myself were detecting some private property around Hargraves a few years back. Not having much luck,I wandered off to detect some old shafts and the Mullock piles around them. The day was a warm one,and it was hard to concentrate with the hordes of tiny bush flies making things fun to say the least.
Just after lunch,I had a good target around a blackberry bush and as I stepped back to survey the scene,I realised I was standing on an old bush grave,ringed with quartz rocks and a larger rock as the headstone.As this section of the diggings was all quartz rocks,and being next to a large pile of quartz,it hadnt noticed it. Thoughts raced through my head about the demise of this poor fellow,whether he had been the victim of an earth fall or something else maybe more sinister.
I jumped back and said "Sorry Mate,I didnt see you there. Please excuse me"
Having respect for the dead,I cleared out from this area,fairly rattled and walked down towards the next set of shafts.
Not really concentrating now,i walked up to the first Mullock pile and got a warbly signal on the edge. I could see bits of broken crockery and old bottles in this pile,so thinking it was a junk target,i belted into it.
On the third scrape I exposed a piece of chain and pulled it from the ground. It turned out to be a Sterling Silver Fob Watch chain,still intact and with the small t section on the end to secure it to the miners jacket/pocket.
Call it coincidence or not,but I feel that the old digger may have guided me onto this treasure target.
Walking to one side of the pile,I got the usual junk targets then a few meters past the ground was silent. I turned around and re-traced my steps and dug the first loud signal. Encased in some clay I got a beautiful 5 grm nugget and let out a `koo-wee`to alert my mate of my good fortune.
As he arrived on the scene,i swung my coil up the bank and got a second loud signal. There sunbaking on the ground was its little brother,a shiny 1.8grm bit! My luck had changed.
Maybe a helping hand from beyond the grave,but I guess I`ll never know.

Back to top Go down

A helping hand from beyond the Grave Empty Re: A helping hand from beyond the Grave

Post  Guest Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:01 pm

Thats a pretty cool set of circumstances Gus Very Happy Next time you get out to that spot share a bottle of plonk with your underground mate! You never know? Can't hurt! Cool

Back to top Go down

A helping hand from beyond the Grave Empty Re: A helping hand from beyond the Grave

Post  Guest Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:18 am

someday wrote:Thats a pretty cool set of circumstances Gus Very Happy Next time you get out to that spot share a bottle of plonk with your underground mate! You never know? Can't hurt! Cool

Good idea mate,I`ll skull half and leave the rest for him Wink Reckon not much detecting will happen after that though Razz
I have a feeling a drill crew pushed a track right over his grave with a dozer.......Bad Karma for them now!
Will still drop by to say "Gday" next time im out there.

Back to top Go down