Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CHOOK SHED TED

Go down

CHOOK SHED TED Empty CHOOK SHED TED

Post  Guest Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:50 pm

One afternoon a pair of old blokes came into my business to make a purchase. As the Gentlemen they were,they introduced themselves as John and Ian. Now John and Ian are identical twins,and being in their Nineties,were quite spritely for their age and still very sharp of mind. Somehow during their visit the conversation turned to Gold; John then offered this story.........
"Ian and I were born and raised in the bush by a wealthy farming family,and moved to Granville in the early 1950`s. There we ran a successfull business,became landlords and purchased many properties in the surrounding areas.
A few years on we met a homeless chap named Ted. Ted was a harmless fellow,living with a local family and he expressed his desire to live elsewhere as he thought he may have overstayed his welcome. Ted was very friendly and would frequent our place of business,usually at morning tea time for a cuppa and a biscuit.
One day Ian and I offered Ted a perminant lodging in a shed behind our house. This arrangement continued for many years and Ted became like a family member to Ian and I. Ted enjoyed the simple things in life,and his tales of his youth and his time as a stockman kept us entertained for hours.
I guess Ted was in his seventies by the time Ian and I sold all our properties,closed the business and moved further west to retire.
We decided on a property in Nth Western Sydney;an acreage in the rural area of Llandillo. Ted was informed of this big move,and was offered a shed to stay in on the property. This shed had an adjoining chook pen,but Ted remarked it reminded him of the country,and he didnt mind it one bit.
The day came and a large Lorry was hired to move all our possesions. Things were going smoothly until Ian called me into the Teds old room to help him move some heavy things. Ted was already at the property making sure everything was in order and his new shed free of vermin.
Ian pointed to a wooden box in amongst Teds belongings,and asked could I lift it as it was fairly weighty.
The box was about a foot long,half a foot wide and deep. I opened the lid to see that it was filled with Gold Sovereigns! Well you could have knocked us both down with a feather!
Ted never wore new clothes,never bought new things and generally relied on the goodwill of others to put food on his table. He always had a few pounds in his pocket,but we both regarded him as one of the most honest blokes you would ever meet.
We loaded the box into the Lorry and never mentioned the fortune in Gold,or asked how he had come apon it to Ted.
Llandillo was more like our country home,8 miles or so to Windsor and all thick bush. Ted used to walk to the Bakers at Windsor every second day to pick up the unsold bread. He was very fond of bread with Golden Syrup.This involved taking one of the many bush tracks and returning well after dark during the winter months.
A few years passed until one day Ted didnt show for his morning cuppa on the porch. We found Ted had passed on to the next life during his sleep during the night.
Ian and I gave him a proper funeral,buried ontop of the hill near the church at Windsor with a decent headstone.
Months later we decided to pull the old shed down,and rebuild it as we need a bigger shed. Teds belongings were removed but the box of Gold Sovereigns was not to be found.
Ted must have buried it on the property or along on of the many bush tracks snaking their way to Windsor.
Only Ted knows........"

Back to top Go down

CHOOK SHED TED Empty Re: CHOOK SHED TED

Post  Rwork Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:12 pm

Nice story gus,would you and the mods mind if i copied the story onto the australian metal detecting and relic hunting forum ?

Rwork
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 285
Registration date : 2011-04-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:09 pm

I cant see why it would be a problem Rwork.
Regards
Gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Rwork Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:19 pm

Thanks gus.

Rwork
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 285
Registration date : 2011-04-20

Back to top Go down