Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gold Detecting in Creek Water with GPX 4500

2 posters

Go down

Gold Detecting in Creek Water with GPX 4500 Empty Gold Detecting in Creek Water with GPX 4500

Post  shelby23 Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:53 pm

Hi
I was detecting with a mate the other day in a creek bed.
He has a GPX 4500 like me.
There was no stopping him he had a DD 12 inch coil and he was detecting all the deep water filled holes.
When I saw him putting his coil under the water I said doesn’t that wreak the coil and he said it doesn’t hurt the coil.
I watched him for a few hours and it had no effect on his detector.
I haven’t used my DD coil yet so the plan now is to paint some fish on the coil and make it my dedicated underwater coil.
I learn something new every day I go out with other gold detector mates.
Regards Neale

shelby23
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 685
Registration date : 2009-01-25

Back to top Go down

Gold Detecting in Creek Water with GPX 4500 Empty Re: Gold Detecting in Creek Water with GPX 4500

Post  Guest Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:51 pm

G'day Neale

While your painting fish on your coil I would also put some silicone around where the two half off the coil come together as they are not exactly sealed every time from the factory, we had one come apart for about half way around it, just used super glue to fix it.

Also while your got the silicone out a good amount around where the coil cable goes into the coil and you may have a good under water coil. Very Happy

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Gold Detecting in Creek Water with GPX 4500 Empty Re: Gold Detecting in Creek Water with GPX 4500

Post  The Modern Day Prospector Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:44 am

Hello Neale, I heard a story the other day about a bloke who was walking along the banks of a crystal clear creek and sitting on the bottom a nice shiney 7 ounce nugget, is there any truth to this or was I told a fib?? Hope all is going well with you also.

Cheers Brian.
The Modern Day Prospector
The Modern Day Prospector
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2011-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:05 am

Gday

There is a coil from coiltek made for this purpose, its called the "platypus", its an eliptical coil and is fully waterproof, the effects of water on your standard dd coil wont be seen immediately and they are not made for this use and are only water resistant, so will be ok in a light rain shower but are not made to be submerged.

Even the nuggetfinder advantage coils are better designed for use in the water, as they say they will resist water to a certain depth and are better sealed than the minelab ones.

I would be concerned that not only would the water get inside the coil housing and damage the windings but it could also cause a short circuit which could damage the electronics in the control box, could be an expensive fix in the end.

http://coiltekmanufacturing.com.au/12by8-dd-pro.html

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down