Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

canoona fields

4 posters

Go down

canoona fields Empty canoona fields

Post  peteyboy50 Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:21 pm

Hi all , new here as you have all probably guessed.
Wondering about some info on Canoona in central queensland. Been there with my old XT17000 , now have GPX4500 and am prepared to search through some hot rocks !
Any help on locations at all would be great,
Pete.

peteyboy50
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-10-25

Back to top Go down

canoona fields Empty Re: canoona fields

Post  Goldbait Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:46 pm

PM sent
Goldbait
Goldbait
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 805
Registration date : 2010-08-31

Back to top Go down

canoona fields Empty canoona

Post  Wardy Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:12 pm

hi all just wondering about any info on canoona gold fields as i've been researching about the area for awhile i've been for a drive up around the area and found the old monument. just keen to get out there with the family and find some colour.. so any info or tips would be awesome...

Wardy
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2013-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Goldbait Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:44 pm

any of the creek beds will hold colour. gold is that common there in fly **** size you could just about find it in any dirt you take from any location. keep to the basics, creek wall washouts, crevices between bedrock.

The entrance to the gold field is across the road and north about 100m from the monument. It is private property, however, i've never heard of anyone getting asked to leave by the owners. Just take your mess with you. Smile

Good time of year with the rain we have had, there will be water in the creeks / bedrock holes that you could use to run a small highbanker or for panning.

i last drove past there a few days ago and it looks like the grass has again gotten a lot worse, so detecting is basically out the window.
Goldbait
Goldbait
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Wardy Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:32 pm

hey thanks for the info goldbait.... hopefully in the next few weeks i'll be able to get up there for the day with the family..

Wardy
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Goldbait Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:55 am

just be careful of snakes. and also i've seen some of the biggest centerpedes you've ever seen there too. 12 inches long and as thick as your thumb.

where are you coming from.
Goldbait
Goldbait
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Wardy Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:31 am

hey thanks for the heads up.. yeah we are coming from just west of Rockhampton...so have you spent much time trying your luck around canoona?

Wardy
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Goldbait Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:00 am

i've had better luck there with a pan than with a gpx5000. Sad. in saying that the grass has been really long so some of the 'good' spots you can't get to.

it's the hottest ground i've ever been on which makes it hard. been waiting 3 years for a fire to go through the place.
Goldbait
Goldbait
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

canoona fields Empty Are there any actual recorded maps of this area

Post  2Dan Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:33 pm

Hey guys, been following this feed and with all my research I can't actually find much in the way of maps of the old diggings for Canoona. I know to some degree where the active areas were but seems there was a bit of action all around.
Anyone able to shed some light? thanks Dan
2Dan
2Dan
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2012-10-31

Back to top Go down