Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Clearing the ground?

5 posters

Go down

Clearing the ground? Empty Clearing the ground?

Post  Rob.B Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:23 pm

Is it OK to take a bush rake out & scrape away all the leaves & branches to expose clean earth, or is it illegal?

I was out with a 10"DD coil today & I couldnt get it onto the earth because of all the leaf litter & branches which put me out of the game for the smaller stuff.

Also: I kept getting good signals & after digging I was finding what I think is called book page slate. I was getting sick of it & in the end walked away from it each time.... Was this the right thing to do or does gold live in it?
Rob.B
Rob.B
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2011-10-08

Back to top Go down

Clearing the ground? Empty Re: Clearing the ground?

Post  TheGoldenChild Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:30 pm

Its fine mate, just put the stuff back as you found it, that keeps the greenies happy and also doesn't make it obvious to other people where you've been detecting in the case you're finding gold.
TheGoldenChild
TheGoldenChild
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 688
Registration date : 2010-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post  nuggetninja69 Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:39 pm

Theres an article about using a rake for that purpose in the June 2011 issue of G,G&T Mag. (Cashing in on natures rake). you can buy kids sized rakes at bunnings that you can strap to your backpack without getting in the way 2 much.....Cheers Smile
nuggetninja69
nuggetninja69
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2011-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob.B Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:54 pm

So its not illegal, good stuff.

Thanks
Rob.B
Rob.B
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2011-10-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:03 am

Yes it is !! do not let the Ranger catch you doing it!! as was said at least put the humus back when you are finished!! People doing this in State Forests back in the 90s were a real problem for the likes of me who were fighting for ALL YOUR rights through the PMAV on the Box Iron Bark (ECC) Commission !! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Back to top Go down

Post  nuggetninja69 Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:58 am

Surely it can't be illegal to remove dead material from the surface, I see parks Victoria doing it all the time to remove fire hazards. So long as your not removing any living trees/bushes and you rake it back over when your done.
nuggetninja69
nuggetninja69
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2011-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:14 am

nuggetninja69 wrote:Surely it can't be illegal to remove dead material from the surface, I see parks Victoria doing it all the time

the problem is that when you rake you are not removing the dead material , it is just getting piled up in rows , and that is what the parks people have a problem with. i was told by a park ranger that they did not have a problem with raking as long as it was put back
cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:53 pm

nuggetninja69 wrote:Surely it can't be illegal to remove dead material from the surface, I see parks Victoria doing it all the time to remove fire hazards. So long as your not removing any living trees/bushes and you rake it back over when your done.

do ya think I put up these things just to annoy people? small patches that have been raked and re covered before you leave perhaps on the day with the right Ranger will be ok ,maybe! but as seen in a vid on here a hundred meters had been raked and left !! that is just ammunition for the greens and they will use it as I found out !!

Back to top Go down

Post  big chop Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:47 pm

In WA i don't think they care but i haven't heard of anyone telling you off for it if it is illegel please tell me ? .look at all this dead leaf vegetation here in WA

Clearing the ground? Goldprospectingthemurchison096
big chop
big chop
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Post  maka Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:06 pm

I have seen some massive areas raked. I was detecting with a guy a few weeks ago. He said you gotta check under the logs, as no one checks there.
I said Thats because thats where the snakes live.
He rolled it over, and what do you know... A lil Bitie was looking at us... I walked off and said he can roll as many as he likes...
I told him it was a 3 step snake.... And left him scratching his head..
Roll a log with a mumma brown under it and see how you go....
Even digging targets today i saw atleast 3 centipedes, a few nasty looking spiders, including a white tail, and a funnel web.... You can rake all you like,,, I say let sleeping bugs lye.
maka
maka
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 626
Registration date : 2011-06-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:12 pm

Yeah Big Chop that looks awesome

Back to top Go down