Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

dead detector

5 posters

Go down

dead detector Empty dead detector

Post  Guest Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:41 pm

things started off great we had the sluice running well and i started to detect and found a few little nuggets. i went back to see how dad was going with the sluice and we had a break for a little bit. we started back up i walked off and started to detect i found a few more bits and moved on. i picked up a target and found it (was just junk) i stood up and just sweeped the ground and the detector made a funny noise and shut down, i turned the switch off and back on it started up then i went to swing it again and samething it shut down. after this one that was it nothing. i come home charged the battery to make sure that wasn't it (i found my other one) and still nothing. i'm hoping it's just the lead from the battery to the detector but i have a funny feeling it's something in the box.

this is what i found today befor the detector died

dead detector Gpx_4048

cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

dead detector Empty Re: dead detector

Post  kon61 Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:47 pm

Stoppsy, after connecting your battery lead to your battery,measure the voltage output from your power lead prior to plugging it back into the detector.

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  twobit Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:49 pm

THROW IT IN THE RIVER

works for me Smile

twobit
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2011-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:49 pm

Hi Stoppsy,
Nice nuggets there, hope you had fun with sluice as well.
I had a similar problem occurring when i hired 5000gpx.It was caused by faulty lead.Would work for few minutes then power would cut off and i noticed connector on the lead was lose.Used another cable and it was all good.
Hopefully you have the same problem.
Good luck.

Back to top Go down

Post  maka Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:16 pm

I am offering $500 cash to anyone who sends me their detector before it goes swimming...
maka
maka
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 626
Registration date : 2011-06-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:41 pm

lol! well the problem has been fixed there was a broken wire in my lead to the detector. my mate had pulled it a part and redone the wires so now i can calm down a bit and think about just buying a back up lead just incase it happens again...
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post  fatninja Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:00 pm

I reckon, before people even throw their detectors in the water, atleast put them on auction here lol!

fatninja
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2011-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:06 pm

Fanstastic news stoppsy cheers

It look like you had little bit of "bad luck" recently. (Headphones, battery,pick, lead). Last problem could be easily prevented and you wouldn't freak out if you had a spare lead.You would know instantly that nothing is wrong with your detector.

My very first trip (when we met in Laanecoorie) i forgot the lead in caravan park as i was too excited to meet in the morning with all the other guys.(Thanks to Nugget who saved my day and also thought me valuable lesson-Spare parts are MUST.)
You are lucky enough to practically detect in your backyard.
Driving couple of hours is not fun when you realize that you forgot something at home which means NO DETECTING.
Since that day i have 3 leads, 2 batteries always fully charged, spare scoops, spare headphones, spare clothes change etc.
I keep everything together at one place in the garage so no way i can miss something when i leave in the morning.
I actually keep everything in backpack for a detecting walk (maps, water, slip slop slap, spare lead, spare headphone,bushman spray, spare scoop,battery and miners right) and all the other staff in one big box.(4 coils, clothes, spare hat etc.)
I have gradually progressed to this setup from my mistakes and also leaving all sort of above things behind me when detecting.
I am saying all of this so other new members can learn from my mistakes. Very Happy
Maybe other members can add some items from their experiences as well.
Keep digging Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:47 pm

it's easy done leaving things at home... you are better off checking a few time to make sure you have everything. i'm still up in the air what to do with the battery as i loved having that one there just incase. i just panned off what dad had done with the sluice and picked a few nice bits and some realy small ones so we must have it set just right.
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:52 pm

stoppsy wrote: lol! well the problem has been fixed there was a broken wire in my lead to the detector. my mate had pulled it a part and redone the wires so now i can calm down a bit and think about just buying a back up lead just incase it happens again...
cheers
stoppsy

Good result stoppsy..

Regards
A

Back to top Go down

Post  Flakmagnet Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:30 am

two-bit,

funny stuff...
bom
Flakmagnet
Flakmagnet
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:21 am

Gday stoppsy

In all the years that I have been using minelab detectors the only issues that I have ever had have been related to either a lead, switch, battery or coil, have never had an internal issue where the detector has let me down completely.

For some time I used to carry a spare detector but never used it so eventually I sold it, but I carry two of everything, minimum, if you are only a short trip from home thats ok, but when you have to travel 600 klms to the nearest spot then you simply have to have spares.

Most issues I can deal with on the spot, if you have a spare lead then you can swap over and know straight away whats going on, its a much worse a feeling when you have no idea and have to wait, it would be even worse if you were on a patch and had to leave it, only to come back and find it cleaned out.

Other necessities are a repair kit, soldering irons, 12v and gas, wire, heatshrink, spare plugs, also if you have a stuffed lead or something similar open it up yourself and have a go at repairing it, that way you become familiar with things like that and become competant in doing small repairs in the field, there will be a time if you stay in this hobby, if you are on an away trip, where you may have to do this yourself or have to go home, game over.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:41 pm

maka wrote:I am offering $500 cash to anyone who sends me their detector before it goes swimming...

You're on mate. I send you my qed.

Robert

Back to top Go down