Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Today at Deep Creek...

+3
fatninja
Goldbait
stylusmobilus
7 posters

Go down

Today at Deep Creek... Empty Today at Deep Creek...

Post  stylusmobilus Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:19 pm

...a bloke got lucky and nailed a 2-3 grammer. He didn't know what it was, packed up and moved base down the creek. My companion saw it after he told him....'I have something yellow here, not sure what it is but...' I managed to pan a fair bit of dust and my mate got about half an oz. of silver out of the black mud. Look out Sunday, the pan is a callin'. Can't wait to get the cash together for my first machine.

I could have kicked my bucket. Crying or Very sad I was panning only 2 metres away from him, but that tells me there is more there.
stylusmobilus
stylusmobilus
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2011-09-22

Back to top Go down

Today at Deep Creek... Empty Re: Today at Deep Creek...

Post  Goldbait Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:04 pm

is this in gympies designated fossicking area
Goldbait
Goldbait
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 805
Registration date : 2010-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post  stylusmobilus Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:19 pm

Yeah mate, a lot of it has been turned over in the floods, so it is probably fairly productive atm...I am devoting all of Sunday to smash that particular area as there is some underwater fauna and a lot of clay there as well.

Aaaaaand....the old gazetted road at the top (Victoria Rd, check the topo maps at this link)

https://qdexguest.deedi.qld.gov.au/portal/site/qdex/search?REPORT_ID=55377&COLLECTION_ID=999

You want Sheet 11, (that is Sheet 11, Comp# 17) that will show you the road reserve which is now part of the field. The council is putting a rising sewer main along it, I followed the stakeout line on Wednesday, the stakes are marked RSM and flagged green which we often use for sewer. They will dig down about 2 metres for this and there may..will... be some detectable stuff in the spoil out of that trench. I have mates on the council and will get them to alert me as to when they will be digging this. They will go into some untouched stuff here, it is on the road itself and the mullock etc was spilled off to the side.

Yes, I will flag it here when it happens. I know I will be there and if I haven't got the money through for my machine I'll hire the b$%^#&d even if I do have to pay through the nose for it Smile
stylusmobilus
stylusmobilus
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Today at Deep Creek... Empty Council should tidy up that place!

Post  fatninja Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:45 pm

Stylus,

Per your post, we thought of giving Gympie a go. If you own a Red Nimbus, then it must have been
Your car that we saw at the Des. Fossicking Area. We had to leave cause we couldnt help but think that
The place is teaming with giant snakes! Will try and call Gympie council tomorrow.

Im starting to think I was stupid to have paid for my Fossicker's License!

Anyway, hope you got lucky!

Cheers,

FN

fatninja
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2011-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post  maka Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:55 pm

Drop the pan and build a sluice...
good luck m8
I did well this morning about 2 grams in the sluice for about 1.5 hours work. I am very happy with that, from Thanes Creek.
Cant wait to hit Gympie with ya.
maka
maka
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 626
Registration date : 2011-06-28

Back to top Go down

Today at Deep Creek... Empty Gympie

Post  fatninja Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:12 pm

Hi Maka,

Congrats on your recent find!
Didnt get the pleasure of meeting stylus. But do hope to go back.
Just need to get me a pair of snake gaiters. The missus has got them.
Will work on building a sluice this week.

Just on sluicing, are we even allowed to use them at the site in Gympie?

Cheers,

FN

fatninja
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2011-08-18

Back to top Go down

Today at Deep Creek... Empty 1981...at Deep Creek...

Post  picknshuffle Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:03 am

..did a little diggin myself at deep crk some years back, i to managed to pan near half an ounce of dust for an afternoons work,
so i went back the next day as well to pan some more, this was too easy and delusions of wealth and fever had set well in.
nice shiny yellow in the pan but not so yella when it dries out. Smash it with a hammer and it turns to powder and has a faint
smell. Mica = fools gold, my dreams were smashed but the fever stayed on.
ps. when you see half an ounce of real gold in a pan you'll never be fooled again.

...could be innerestin if they do some excavating tho and pret sure its pan only area these days. Was going to buy the house
that sits top end of old victoria rd fer 135k, but then found out when it floods its window sill level stuff, dammit.

keep the shiny side up,
cheers picknshuffle.
picknshuffle
picknshuffle
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2011-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:43 am

Just be careful the black stuff is not black sand or metal, I hope it is silver for you.

Best of luck anyway. 'As for gold it is not hard to spot but i do not know how much pyrite is up your way. But on that note the rains are washing all the gullies and rivers again with the bright stuff so it is good to see.

Back to top Go down

Post  stylusmobilus Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:38 pm

Hi all, been out in CQ working, what an interesting couple of weeks that has been! Nearly got subdued by a bushfire (looooong story) and snakes everywhere!

Yes fatninja, the Nimbus is my old girl. Yes, you can use a non powered sluice there, my mate does all the time.

Picknshovel, yep there is heaps of fools gold in it but dependent on where you are in that field you will get a bit of the good stuff as well. What I have after a couple of days work, I won't know till I separate it but I'm fairly certain there is a bit of silver there as well explorer. Good decision not to buy that place picknshovel, the whole area floods in a major.

Yes maka have to sort out a sluice, but time is against me at the moment. Once the semester is done and work slows down a bit I can get onto that. My partner picked up the VLF detector a couple of weeks ago and I am working on getting a PI asap. I'm glad I can finally put some of my geological/geographical knowledge to some use other than surveying.

The whole area around here is rancid with snakes, especially swamp tigers near all the creeks. The good wet season last year saw to that.

Torn between studying for my exam and prospecting tomorrow....
stylusmobilus
stylusmobilus
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Today at Deep Creek... Empty Deep Creek

Post  cecc Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:45 am

Hi all just new here, just wondering thinking of going to Deep Creek for a fossick, are sluices and highbankers allowed these days?

cecc
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2015-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post  rc62burke Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:48 pm

cecc wrote:Hi all just new here, just wondering thinking of going to Deep Creek for a fossick, are sluices and highbankers allowed these days?

Welcome,
To answer your question, in QLD, NO they are not!!
rc62burke
rc62burke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post  cecc Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:11 pm

rc62burke wrote:
cecc wrote:Hi all just new here, just wondering thinking of going to Deep Creek for a fossick, are sluices and highbankers allowed these days?

Welcome,
To answer your question, in QLD, NO they are not!!

Ok thanks.

cecc
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2015-09-10

Back to top Go down

Today at Deep Creek... Empty Thanks

Post  cecc Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:42 am

Thanks for the info.

cecc
New Poster