Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Headphones v external speakers with GPX 5000

+9
eureka4goldaz
gef50
Alan WA
Ismael
dryblower
tricky 1
Flakmagnet
artrix
goldsal
13 posters

Go down

Headphones v external speakers with GPX 5000 Empty Headphones v external speakers with GPX 5000

Post  goldsal Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:28 pm

Hi I'm really new at this - have invested in a GPX5000 with headphones and am presently watching JP's DVD Unwrapping the GPX5000. He wears dual externals and as my ears are already complaining, I'm tempted to do likewise. What brand is best (his has an on/off button) and what do you prefer?

goldsal
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2011-09-20

Back to top Go down

Headphones v external speakers with GPX 5000 Empty Re: Headphones v external speakers with GPX 5000

Post  artrix Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:34 pm

Go to jaycar and buy a small mobile phone in car speaker I think they are around $20 solder on a stereo plug a couple of dollars and there you go. You can fit a switch if you want. all depends on how confident you are with a soldering iron ..... its pretty easy tho

artrix
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 442
Registration date : 2009-12-16

Back to top Go down

Headphones v external speakers with GPX 5000 Empty Re: Headphones v external speakers with GPX 5000

Post  Flakmagnet Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:04 pm

Hi,

I run a dual speaker set-up similar to JP's and use a B&Z booster that has an on/off switch
that is also a volume control and it also has a switch that toggles between the amplified sound
and the un-amplified sound.
I don't think the speaker brand names are the same in the US as in Australia so I won't include it.
I love the ser-up for many reasons.
It also makes a great teaching aid.

fwiw,

Flakmagnet
Flakmagnet
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post  tricky 1 Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:32 pm

this is the kit we have been using with very good results.
link to b&z kit from gold city detecting.

http://goldcitydetecting.com/Boosters%2C-Speakers%2C-Headphones.php
tricky 1
tricky 1
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2010-08-11

Back to top Go down

Post  dryblower Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:41 pm

Hi goldsal . I have recently gone from a single speaker to dual speakers and it is a bit easier to hear the faint signals, particularly on windy days.
There are 2 ways to wire these , in parralel or in series .
If they are joined in Parralel the resistance seen by the battery / amp could be 4 ohms and I am not sure if this is ok for the batterys amp.
I have wrired mine in series which gives 16 ohms ( each speaker is 8 ohms ) and it works well.
Maybe Ismael or someone else who has done this could comment ?
DB

dryblower
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2010-12-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:40 pm

dryblower wrote:There are 2 ways to wire these , in parralel or in series .
If they are joined in Parralel the resistance seen by the battery / amp could be 4 ohms and I am not sure if this is ok for the batterys amp.
I have wrired mine in series which gives 16 ohms ( each speaker is 8 ohms ) and it works well.
DB

I have mine wired in parallel, this is the way they will be if you buy the complete setup from the detecting shops that sell the dual setup.

I have been using mine this way on the 4000, and now on the 4500 ever since it was released about 3 years ago or so. And it works fine. Very Happy and your right it drops the effective ohms to 4 per speaker totals is still 8ohms which is what it is with a single speaker. I also use the B&Z booster.

I use GME Electrophone SPK07 speakers which are the same as the ones supplied by detector shops as optional extras for the GPX5000 or 4500.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  dryblower Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:23 pm

Thanks Dave for clarifying that .
As I wasnt sure I played safe ! Sounds like the ML battery and amp will be ok with the 4 ohms if the commercial ones are wired in parallel.
I also use the GME SPK07 that the detector shops sell and they are ok. At the moment I put my hands over them to muffle the startup scream on the 5000.
Next project is to fit them with kill switches !
I have seen a few prefer the Jaycar speakers , so I might give them a try for a spare set.
Cheers
DB

dryblower
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Ismael Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:42 pm

davsgold wrote:
dryblower wrote:There are 2 ways to wire these , in parralel or in series .
DB

I have mine wired in parallel, this is the way they will be if you buy the complete setup from the detecting shops that sell the dual setup.

I have been using mine this way on the 4000, and now on the 4500 ever since it was released about 3 years ago or so. And it works fine. Very Happy and your right it drops the effective ohms to 4 per speaker totals is still 8ohms which is what it is with a single speaker. I also use the B&Z booster.

I use GME Electrophone SPK07 speakers which are the same as the ones supplied by detector shops as optional extras for the GPX5000 or 4500.

cheers dave

Actually Dave you are wrong as 2 x 8ohm speakers wired in parallel will give 4 ohms total not 8 ohms, if they were 16 ohms it would be 8ohms. All depends on the amps you are attaching them to. With the amp I use in the little ripper battery system the lower the ohms the lower the output.
Ismael
Ismael
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2008-11-18

http://www.minelabmods.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:52 pm

G'day Ismael

Your right, its 4 ohms, don't know why I tried to add them back together. Embarassed

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Alan WA Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:39 pm

I use the standard harness and find it
quite easy to reach behind and partly pull the speaker plug
out, killing the sound.

Alan
Alan WA
Alan WA
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2009-04-25

Back to top Go down

Post  dryblower Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:34 pm

Good tip allan ! Will give that a go . The switches might not be required !
Cheers
DB

dryblower
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  gef50 Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:32 pm

A most popular unit is the Treasure Mate II can be found at
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Treasure-Mate-II-Amplifier-Minelab-Metal-Detector-/300600987348?pt=AU_Gadgets&hash=item45fd370ed4
cheers
gef50
gef50
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 295
Registration date : 2008-10-24

http://www.vkteksolutions.com

Back to top Go down

Post  eureka4goldaz Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:19 pm

I use Docs, GoldScreamer Power Pack. I use headphones on windy days, and use Dual speakers at other time and when the temperature climb up there. The main thing to check with either one is the length of the audio cable to your amp, or control box! My headphone are no problem when I sit my detector down and bend over to hand test for a target over the search coil. The dual speaker was just about 18 inches too short, when I would lean forward the audio jack would pull out. Finding a 3 foot or 1 meter extension was a pain. They do make them, but they are hard to find.
More Au to you, Robert

eureka4goldaz
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post  themrburns Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:50 am

Hi,

If its not too windy I prefer an external speaker, much nicer in the sun without headphones. Once you get used it I think its more effective as well to be honest. Just bear in mind that they can be heard from a LONG way off depending on the topology of the ground you are on! Covert they are not. lol!

themrburns
themrburns
themrburns
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2011-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post  detectoraid Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:23 am

For the DIY's it takes a "mono" plug to trip the amp in the 45 an 5's battery.
detectoraid
detectoraid
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2008-12-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:46 pm

detectoraid wrote:For the DIY's it takes a "mono" plug to trip the amp in the 45 an 5's battery.

Are you sure? I thought it took a stero plug to trip/activate the amp/booster in the 45's & 5's ML battery.

For example the B&Z booster has a mono plug which plugs into the ML battery there by, by passing the existing ML amp/booster ans allowing the B&Z booster to be the only active booster.

If you just want to use an external speaker directly from the ML battery, they have a stero plug which activates the ML battery booster suplied with the 45's & 5's

This is how I understand it works.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Ringpull Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:05 am

I'm kinda puzzled why you would put a boosted speaker to an already amplified signal coming from the battery pack of the 5000? I have an unboosted speaker that seems to work OK and I can see merit in having an on/off switch and a volume control, but why double the amplification?
Ringpull
Ringpull
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2011-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post  The Modern Day Prospector Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:53 am

davsgold wrote:
detectoraid wrote:For the DIY's it takes a "mono" plug to trip the amp in the 45 an 5's battery.

Are you sure? I thought it took a stero plug to trip/activate the amp/booster in the 45's & 5's ML battery.

For example the B&Z booster has a mono plug which plugs into the ML battery there by, by passing the existing ML amp/booster ans allowing the B&Z booster to be the only active booster.

If you just want to use an external speaker directly from the ML battery, they have a stero plug which activates the ML battery booster suplied with the 45's & 5's

This is how I understand it works.

cheers dave

Very simple what Davsgold said is completely right.
The Modern Day Prospector
The Modern Day Prospector
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2011-10-30

Back to top Go down