Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What do you do with your Gold?

+9
echidnadigger
Jigalong
ToadWhisperer
chopppacalamari
gray.nomad
Beer Beeper
bencld
Dunnart
Kon61gold
13 posters

Go down

What do you do with your Gold? Empty What do you do with your Gold?

Post  Kon61gold Fri May 01, 2009 9:34 pm

You know it gets so hard to find, that you get like a miser after a while. "Its mine, its mine, and don't you dare touch it"
Do you get like that sometimes. I have mine is a display box that I bring out from time to time so that visitors can say "oh look at that - is it real - can I touch it". Makes you feel special does'nt it?
What do you do with your finds? Put it under your bed?
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 4500
Registration date : 2008-10-16

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

What do you do with your Gold? Empty Re: What do you do with your Gold?

Post  Dunnart Fri May 01, 2009 10:29 pm

I bury mine with a map marked X that's stored in a sealed envelope with my solicitor ( executor to my will ).

I tell my ex wife and my kids that I sell it to support myself, that way they don't expect anything when I roll over (or now for that matter!), so it will come as a nice surprise when it is eventually realized for them.

Just hope they hang onto it for security ( same as me) that they never need to use, and then pass it on again.

I somehow doubt it!
Dunnart
Dunnart
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  bencld Fri May 01, 2009 11:00 pm

I wish I had now all the gold I have found since 1981 ! Would probably not have to work selling it at todays prices.

I have about 90g left that I am hanging onto but in the past I have sold most of it and try to make it a point to buy something worthwhile with it and not waste it on bills. Recently I have bought DVD players with hard disk, flat panel TV's, new BBQ, cordless drill etc.

Chris.
bencld
bencld
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2008-10-24

Back to top Go down

Post  Dunnart Fri May 01, 2009 11:17 pm

A bloke sold his gold in the 80's when it was something like $800 an oz, and paid cash for his house.

Sold his house in the late 90's and secured it in gold at $470 an oz just after a decent boom in property. Did the grey nomad thing and travelled around Australia towing a caravan, peeling of a bit of gold as he needed it, spent some time in the west and found a few reasonable patches, chilled out beach bumming in the territory, and eventually got a bit past the travelling idea and decided to cash in his gold about 8 months ago and bought a house while gold was at about $1300.

He's now got a fine house, and still got more gold than he started with when he began this " crazy" idea!

Lucky bugger!

Cool
Dunnart
Dunnart
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 93

Back to top Go down

Post  Beer Beeper Sat May 02, 2009 4:41 am

Almost impossible to time things right in investments. Cannot tell the future.

One idea is to build an underground burried safe out of the thickest walled(highest schedual) or thinnest walled if you wish of plastic ABS or PVC pipe. Any desired diameter and length for example: 8" diameter X 12" long, 6" X 18", 4" X 24", 2" X 6", etc. With a waterproof threaded cap assemble glued on one or both ends.

Maybe some people would prefer a rust proof metal stainless steel pipe so that when they bury it in the ground, if they forget where they put it, they can locate it again better with a metal detector.

Someone put theirs in window curtain rods, in a false trap door compartment in the kitchen cupboards, inside the house wall, or inside a electrical plug-in. (Not only for gold but other valuable or secretive things as well.)

We sometimes hear that nuggets and specimens are worth about 2x or more of their gold value and chrystal gold is worth much more.

I would like to know exactly where people sell or auction their gold nuggets, specimens, or chrystal gold specimens to get above the spot gold price?? (To people from or in either Australia, New Zealand, USA, Canada, UK, South Africa, United Arab Emerites(Dubai), India, China, Germany, France, Switzerland, or anywhere.) Thank you.

Last edited by Beer Beeper on Mon May 04, 2009 2:27 pm; edited 2 times in total

Beer Beeper
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2008-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat May 02, 2009 9:44 am

My wife and I are lucky enough to have found a private buyer who takes everything we find.
The last few ounces we sold to him was at better than $1400/oz.
I'd like to push my luck and drop a 200 oz slug on his table Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Robert

Last edited by Goldnomad on Sat May 02, 2009 9:45 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Duh !!! can't spell)

Back to top Go down

What do you do with your Gold? Empty What do I do with my Gold

Post  gray.nomad Sat May 02, 2009 7:05 pm

Dream about it Very Happy
Quite frankly, (no pun intended) I'd love to have this problem.
Ahh well, it's "Beer O'Clock.
See ya up them thar hills.
Frank
gray.nomad
gray.nomad
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 107

Back to top Go down

Post  chopppacalamari Sun May 03, 2009 10:01 pm

Hi all,

Recently a fellow prospector dropped about 30 nuggets into my work. (A Jewellers) It was 10 grams total. we cleaned it up. After cleaning we melted them into a blob about as big as a fifty cent piece. (removing the impurities as best we could as we went.) We then rolled it out till it was paper thin, without annealing it in the process. we got about 3 feet in length out of it. it was beautiful. It was like tin foil but about 3 times the thickness and the colour, WOW. We rolled it up and soaked it in acid which cleaned off every other mark. I then alloyed it out with base metal to make it just over 18ct. I turned it up and made a very solid mens ring. It was beautiful stuff to work with. It tested over 18ct but less than 22ct as intended but the colour was amazing. The colour was closer to the original nugget colour than normal 22ct gold is.

After a perfect polish it was the most stunning gold ring I have ever seen. (without stones).

So there you go. If you want to make some jewellery for yourself from your nuggets you don't always need them refined first. Telluride or something like that is what makes it brittle. Any Wellington Alluvial nuggets can be used straight away. Next time that happens i'll ask the owner if I can take pictures of the process to share with you guys and gals..

Dicko..
chopppacalamari
chopppacalamari
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 660
Registration date : 2008-12-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold Mon May 04, 2009 8:53 am

Hi Dicko

Great Story. We often wonder about the transformation of gold to jewellry and it was interesting to hear how it was done.

Thanks
Jeff
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  ToadWhisperer Mon May 04, 2009 9:02 am

Dunnart wrote:I bury mine with a map marked X that's stored in a sealed envelope with my solicitor ( executor to my will ).

I tell my ex wife and my kids that I sell it to support myself, that way they don't expect anything when I roll over (or now for that matter!), so it will come as a nice surprise when it is eventually realized for them.

Just hope they hang onto it for security ( same as me) that they never need to use, and then pass it on again.

I somehow doubt it!

Hmm, buried treasure eh? Now where'd you say where from?

ToadWhisperer
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2009-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Jigalong Tue May 05, 2009 7:23 pm

I found a 5gm flat heart shaped ( slightly !) nugget at Tibooburra last August and I made it into a ring for the boss's birthday ( so she would let me go to WA this month ).
Cheers
Jigalong

What do you do with your Gold? Nugget10
Jigalong
Jigalong
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1316
Registration date : 2008-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post  echidnadigger Tue May 05, 2009 11:42 pm

I started out in this hobby, not expecting to do very well at all. I simply thought " What I get will go towards a holiday, somewhere down the track"
For a year or two I thought I was doing OK for a dirty weekend within 10 km of home. Now I have surprised myself with enough gold to spend a little while over sea's.
So far so good. I'm still young enough that I can only hope for a first class trip all the way.
Brett.
echidnadigger
echidnadigger
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 340
Registration date : 2008-10-21

Back to top Go down

Post  SmallestKerri Fri May 22, 2009 7:14 pm

Hoping to put my gold in a display box to show my sisters and brother and extended family and to my visitos whom I trust. What type of fabric and the colour do you put on the bottom of display boxes?
If I get into financial difficulty it maybe sold, but not at this stage in my life.

Regards,
Kerri.
SmallestKerri
SmallestKerri
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 14

Back to top Go down

Post  echidnadigger Fri May 22, 2009 8:25 pm

SmallestKerri wrote:Hoping to put my gold in a display box to show my sisters and brother and extended family and to my visitos whom I trust. What type of fabric and the colour do you put on the bottom of display boxes?
If I get into financial difficulty it maybe sold, but not at this stage in my life.

Regards,
Kerri.
There is no better impact than gold in the palm of ones hand.
As far as displays go, I think gold goes best against a black background. Usually felt or suede does the trick.
Brett.
PS. both these materials can be purchased by the metre for those doing real well out there. Razz Razz
echidnadigger
echidnadigger
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 340
Registration date : 2008-10-21

Back to top Go down

What do you do with your Gold? Empty Gold display

Post  Pennyweight Fri May 22, 2009 8:38 pm

Hi Kerri,
with the amount of gold you've found, it will have to be a big display box! Professional clear-lid display boxes are avail. and the small pod displays are cheap. I agree, Black felt background is essential! Cheers, Dwt
Pennyweight
Pennyweight
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 143

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat May 23, 2009 9:12 am

hi
 other than for pieces i have given to friends and family as jewelery,i`ve still got every damn piece i have ever found.it`s worth more to me than whatever amount of cash i may be paid for it.the biggest piece i have ever found was a 94 grammer (3 ozs) i found it about 20 years ago with a minelab 1600gt ground tracker.i still get it out every now and then just to look at it.i have been trying for 20 years to beat that 3 ouncer.i havent done it yet,but i will.
i guess one day when i`m gone, my family will sell it.

Last edited by day one on Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:03 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  SmallestKerri Sat May 23, 2009 7:23 pm

Thank you guys,

A display is a good idea and at least I will have the gold there to look, hold and play with. The background fabric that is mentioned is felt or suede. What about black velvet?
Pennyweight, I have found more gold since showing you my last finds. A 13gramer and 18gramer Very Happy and others.
Great spot I have chosen.

Regards,
Kerri.
SmallestKerri
SmallestKerri
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 14

Back to top Go down

Post  Tricky Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:28 am

Can anyone steer me in the direction of someone who does buy gold. I have some rough stuff that we melted down and need some cash at the moment. Any buyers in any states will do as SA doesnt have any "that I know of."
Tricky
Tricky
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 18

Back to top Go down

What do you do with your Gold? Empty Gold Buyers

Post  Mark Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:19 pm

Hi Tricky

PW BECK are gold buyers in Adelaide. You have to pay a processing fee so it becomes worth while if you have 3 ounces or more other wise I believe that they will pay a reduced spot price over the counter.
Check out their web site.
I have had dealings with them in the past and they seem straight.
Cheers Mark.
Mark
Mark
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2008-11-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:56 pm

Hi Tricky

Check the Links section of the Forum

Jeff
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Back to top Go down