Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First Aid in the Bush

4 posters

Go down

First Aid in the Bush Empty First Aid in the Bush

Post  Kon61gold Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:33 am

We had just started detecting when all of a sudden, my friend came over to me with her arm held high and blood streaming down her arm. What had happened is that she started to dig a target but didnt see a twig nearby which punctured a vein on her hand as she brought her pick down.

Fortunately we werent too far from the car where I had a first aid kit so I was able to clean it and as the blood had stopped running, a band aid was sufficient to cover it.

However it just goes to show, how important it is to have a first aid kit, even it is for headaches. I am sure many of us have experienced situations that require assistance.

Also if you get the chance to learn first aid techniques then learn them. At 20 I was in the Police Force and we had to learn First Aid. I left the Force soon after but 15 years later I was on a golf course and a lady was struck by lightning. My brother and I rushed over and there was her husband trying to do his best to revive her. My training took over and for the next three quarters of an hour we applied cardiac massage and mouth to mouth resuscitation, till the ambulance took her away. Unfortunately she didnt make it but what would you do if your mate has a heart attack in the bush.? Answer this question now for it may be too late to try and solve it when you are an hour away from the phone or the nearest house.

Jeff
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 4500
Registration date : 2008-10-16

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

First Aid in the Bush Empty Re: First Aid in the Bush

Post  Nightjar Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:09 pm

Morning Jeff,
This subject is paramount for anyone venturing out away from civilisation. Especially applies to we Sandgropers who are most times hundreds of kilometres from the nearest mobile phone tower and medical help.
My main backup is a HF radio and will be purchasing a new EPERB to replace the now obsolete one.
During my employment I was captain of a Fire & Rescue Crew which entailed annual first aid refreshers which to date have not been needed.
My most serious first aid required was when I stiched my own arm after a dry branch pierced my bicep very deep. It is not easy to stitch your own arm. Surprised
In my medical kit I now carry medical super glue to enable wounds to be closed with out any problems.

Interesting thread, sure hope to see many bush medicine and first aid experiences.

Cheers
Peter
Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:33 pm

Gday Jeff

Couldnt agree with you more on this subject, two of the three people that I have detected with over the past few years have had heart problems, we have on occasion discussed this between us, especially when we have been in a remote area, and have devised some sort of strategy to deal with an emergency, up until now injuries have been relatively minor involving falls and scrapes, and one has resuted in surgery at a later date.

I always carry a fairly serious medical kit, and have done quite a few courses over the years in the military and security sectors, so I feel that I should be able to at least render some help to anybody thats injured, but there are situations when you are on your own and may need help yourself, keeping this in mind you need to make sure that your medical kit is in easy reach and not buried away so that you cant find it when you need it the most.

One example was that while I was detecting I was backing up near a tree and copped a broken and sharp tree branch to the back of the neck, I managed to pull the piece out and it was not serious, just needed some cleaning, and because I have a small mirror in my kit I was able to see the injury and make sure I had gotten it all out.

Very Happy one day while home I had a phone call from "Red Cross" and thay were selling first aid kits, I told the young lady that I have a good kit, and went on to say that mostly I detect in the bush on my own so if they had a "blow up nurse" that I could have in my kit that could help me that would be useful, well of course all I got was some sniggering and a blunt "no sir we dont do blow up nurses", it was at that point that I realised what I had said Embarassed , and what she thought I was getting at tongue

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:16 pm

A topic that cant be stressed highly enough thanks Jeff.

If you have a chance to do atleast the basic St Johns..do it! Not just for the bush either.
A number of years ago my eldest daughter who was about 12 at the time suffered horriffic head injuries in a fall. She had a fractured skull, her heart had stopped and wasn't breathing. She also had internal injuries unknown to me at the time.

That basic first aid course I did and thought I had forgot a bunch of years before just came out and functioned automatically while my mind was all over the place.
I managed to get her heart going and keep her breathing until ambos arrived and took over. To this day I believe had I not done that course I would have lost my daughter.

Both my girls and myself have since done Senior first aid courses and resit them every two years.

If you havent learnt basic first aid please do it.

Back to top Go down

Post  echidnadigger Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:35 pm

I spent many years as a St John Ambulance first aider or Johnno as we were affectionately known.
The word hero comes to mind when I hear stories of how people have saved lives as a result of learning basic first aid. Learning first aid is one of the most unselfish acts a person can do. Lets face it, You would usually learn first aid in an effort to help others.
The flip side to this is that the first aid you learn is most likely to be used by you and on you. Danger is the golden rule and this means that if you cant get yourself out of danger from a first aid point of view then you cant help anyone else.
Look at your first aid skills and kit from the approach that they are to save you. Then you can save others.
Brett.
echidnadigger
echidnadigger
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 340
Registration date : 2008-10-21

Back to top Go down

Post  detecta2 Tue May 12, 2009 7:56 pm

Remember these numbers 000 and if you have no service use this number 112 for emergency help, 112 will pick up on any service available.
Your emergency steps for a critical situation are as follows: D.R.A.B.C.D.
D:CHECK FOR DANGER- more hazards, more risks, is it safe now?
R: RESPONSE-call 000 or 112 for qualified medical help.
A: OPEN AIRWAY,LOOK FOR SIGNS OF LIFE-signs of life=consious or responsive or breathing normally or moving. Check pulse in the wrist. Check pulse in neck, 1/3 around from adams apple.Wet your cheek and put in front of mouth/nose to detect breath.
B: GIVE 2 INITIAL BREATHS: if not breathing normally or properly.
C: GIVE 30 CHEST COMPRESSIONS:almost 2 compressions per second then give 2 breaths.
D: ATTACH A.E.D.:Not commonly available in the scrub, so go to "C"
C: CONTINUE C.P.R.-untill qualified personel arrive or signs of life return.
COPY THIS AND PUT IT IN YOUR GLOVE BOX, its the latest and most commonly taught in life saving situations.
Never no your luck. regards phill

detecta2
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down