Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gold in and around brookfield, Mt Cootha, Mt Crosbey?

+13
rc62burke
Queenslander
lee85
gcause
Harb
RussR
Detrackozi
artrix
brookygold
Axeman
leighton14
madmaverick
EzAzz
17 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Gold in and around brookfield, Mt Cootha, Mt Crosbey? Empty Gold in and around brookfield, Mt Cootha, Mt Crosbey?

Post  EzAzz Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:24 pm

Hey guys,

Im a newbie into prospecting, but was trying to get some ideas on a few areas around my local stomping grounds. These areas around brookfield ect look like the place to be for gold but was wondering if anyone has had any luck in and around the west of brisbane?

I also would love to get out with someone and learn some of the tricks to the trade. There seems like quite a few people on this site have some great info, Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Due to recent floods im keen to get out and about to get finding.....

Cheers Azz

EzAzz
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-08-03

Back to top Go down

Gold in and around brookfield, Mt Cootha, Mt Crosbey? Empty Re: Gold in and around brookfield, Mt Cootha, Mt Crosbey?

Post  Guest Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:00 pm

He is all the gold diggings and mines in your area, with a good GPS you will be able to find all of them program is accurate to within a meter. Smile

Gold in and around brookfield, Mt Cootha, Mt Crosbey? Vv10

cheers cheers

Back to top Go down

Gold in and around brookfield, Mt Cootha, Mt Crosbey? Empty hey there m8

Post  madmaverick Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:09 pm

EzAzz wrote:Hey guys,

Im a newbie into prospecting, but was trying to get some ideas on a few areas around my local stomping grounds. These areas around brookfield ect look like the place to be for gold but was wondering if anyone has had any luck in and around the west of brisbane?

I also would love to get out with someone and learn some of the tricks to the trade. There seems like quite a few people on this site have some great info, Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Due to recent floods im keen to get out and about to get finding.....

Cheers Azz

Brisbane here too,, always keen to get out there,, there are a few of us in SEQ so keep reading and we are bound to catch up at some stage
take care
happy hunting
Steve and Lea
madmaverick
madmaverick
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2010-07-26

Back to top Go down

Gold in and around brookfield, Mt Cootha, Mt Crosbey? Empty Re: Gold in and around brookfield, Mt Cootha, Mt Crosbey?

Post  EzAzz Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:38 pm

Cheers guys,

Just wondering if anyone has had much luck around these areas seeing some colour?

Im keen to get out and explore, would love the chance to pick up some tips for the trade thou.....

EzAzz
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post  leighton14 Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:30 pm

Gday fellow fossicker!

First things first, make sure you have a decent metal detector.

Try around gold creek in brookfield. It has a name for a reason?
There seams to be an abundance of old mines around that area.
So indicated, small deposits around that area.
But there could have been bigger finds in the area.

Look for the Gold Bearing rocks, and search away.
i havent actually looked in this area, so someone with
local knowledge may be able to help you with,
where it would be a starting place to look.

Iv been looking at the old mines around Lake Manchester, also close to you.
with a little bit of success.

Have a go at those ones if no success at Brook field

You never know, might see you along the tracks one day looking for that big one.

Cheers

leighton14
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Axeman Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:03 am

A pair of my friends in Brisbane went up to Mt Cootha to have a look at the gold mine and found a pleasant little park instead. It appears that the mine was filled in in the interest of public safety or so they were told by the truck load of BCC rangers who set upon them upon seeing them coming up the walking trail with their 4500's. I could have told them that was a bad idea. They found peices of schappnel from an exploded wartime bomb of some kind and an enormous bullet casing but thats all. As my frient put it " the park nazi's chased them out" , but I think they should have been chased out. Mt Cootha is part of Brisbane Forrest Park and as such it effectively a state forrest and we all know how welcome we are there. Anyway if I found smeone digging in a pretty garden that i'd spent a lot of time building , I'd get upset too. Here's a tip, In kenmore hills there is a stip of land ( private and unfenced ) between two rows of houses and there are several old prospecting shafts in there. It might be worth a look.
Axeman
Axeman
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2010-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post  brookygold Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:38 pm

where are the shafts in kenmore hills?

brookygold
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2012-02-18

Back to top Go down

Post  artrix Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:44 pm

There is a small horizontal shaft and a vertical shaft about 6-10 mts deep at the end of Boscombe rd brookfield.
I think its one of the surprise mines. its not surrounded by a fence like the other one near it too

artrix
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 442
Registration date : 2009-12-16

Back to top Go down

Post  brookygold Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:48 pm

is that up the top of the rd or down near the school?

brookygold
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  artrix Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:04 pm

way at the end turn left at the fence walk down the hill

artrix
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Detrackozi Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:05 pm

Gold in and around brookfield, Mt Cootha, Mt Crosbey? BR

Gold in and around brookfield, Mt Cootha, Mt Crosbey? Br-1

Surprise Group, -27.474450, 152.914995,Gold/E Of Gold Creek & Se Of Eclipse Group Of Mines/Abandoned Mine

Mcculkins Adit, -27.469030, 152.908915,Gold/N Bank Of Gold Creek/Abandoned Mine

Surprise Reef, -27.473530, 152.914985,Gold/East Of Jones Road On Portion 223/Abandoned Mine

Surprise No 2 West, -27.473980, 152.912975,Gold/2.4km North Of Brookfield

Surprise No 3 West, -27.473530, 152.910445,Gold/Portion 223 Indooroopilly/Abandoned Mine

Surprise United, -27.472640, 152.910935,Gold/Beside Lucky Tom (Claim 56)

Eclipse No 1 Adit - E Drive Brookfield, -27.472190, 152.913465,Gold/Claims 72 & 73

Eclipse No 2 Shaft - Ladder Brookfield, -27.471740, 152.911455,Gold/Ridge W Of Watts Gully/Abandoned Mine

Eclipse No 3 Brookfield, -27.471060, 152.910445,Gold/A Few M N Of The Eclipse 2 Access Road

Mcculkin'S Adit, -27.468110, 152.909435,Gold/A Steep Bank Ne Of Gold Creek In Brisbane Forest Park/Abandoned Mine

May'S Birthday Workings, -27.474900, 152.911945,Gold/Darts Gully (Portion 223 Indooroopilly)

Last edited by Detrackozi on Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:27 pm; edited 3 times in total
Detrackozi
Detrackozi
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post  artrix Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:07 pm

There you go its probably the eclipse number 1 adit

artrix
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  artrix Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:09 pm

brookygold wrote:is that up the top of the rd or down near the school?

mate if you want to catch up one day i could take you straight to it

artrix
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Detrackozi Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:13 pm

Gold in and around brookfield, Mt Cootha, Mt Crosbey? Br-3
Detrackozi
Detrackozi
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Detrackozi Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:19 pm

Close By

Gold in and around brookfield, Mt Cootha, Mt Crosbey? 5

Gold in and around brookfield, Mt Cootha, Mt Crosbey? 6

Detrackozi
Detrackozi
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  artrix Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:25 pm

Thats not where I remember it being the adit is on the other side of the fence line. never seen the adit marked by detrackozi maybe there are 2 there??? it is hard to find if you dont know where to look its pretty much overgrown at the entrance. not very deep either only a few metres

artrix
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Detrackozi Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:30 pm

artrix

Your one mybe the only one unless there is a unknow one there or to small for them to data plot.
Detrackozi
Detrackozi
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  artrix Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:33 pm

maybe mate its not very big and the shaft behind it is not very deep. I suspect it may have not been a success and abandoned. I dont think any of the mines around the area really paid off for those that worked them.

artrix
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  brookygold Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:53 pm

has anyone ever gone to any of these shafts or panned along gold creek rd?... if so, is there a chance of some colour there?

brookygold
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  artrix Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:01 pm

see PM

artrix
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  RussR Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:45 pm

i thought i posted in here but i obviously didnt!

i'm keen to get out and checkout gold creek, and the mines around the area (even just detecting the rubbish piles)

has anyone been out there and had any luck with getting permission etc?
RussR
RussR
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2012-02-13

Back to top Go down

Post  brookygold Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:39 pm

I live on gold creek rd... Im pretty sure that i you go up near the reservoir, or just after the mines, you should be able to find some colour! I wouldn't bother about getting permission... No one would notice and no one ever goes to the mines. Im going to go and check out a few of the mines tomorrow and see what they are like!

brookygold
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Harb Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:16 am

Geez I love your work Detrackozi.......
Harb
Harb
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 720
Registration date : 2010-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post  gcause Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:38 pm

Went out to Gold Creek today thought I would post some photos for those interstate and those locals who havent been there yet.

Gold Creek Resevoir at the end of Gold Creek road:

Gold in and around brookfield, Mt Cootha, Mt Crosbey? 00110

Gold in and around brookfield, Mt Cootha, Mt Crosbey? 00210

Gold in and around brookfield, Mt Cootha, Mt Crosbey? 00310

Gold Creek at the end of the Boscombe road trail:

Natural Riffles cris cross the creek, this one has a quartz seam inside the middle riffle, bedrock can be seen everywhere
Gold in and around brookfield, Mt Cootha, Mt Crosbey? 00710

Gold in and around brookfield, Mt Cootha, Mt Crosbey? 00810

Gold in and around brookfield, Mt Cootha, Mt Crosbey? 00910

Gold in and around brookfield, Mt Cootha, Mt Crosbey? 01110

Gold Creek at the beginning of the Jones Road trail:

Gold in and around brookfield, Mt Cootha, Mt Crosbey? 01210

Gold in and around brookfield, Mt Cootha, Mt Crosbey? 01310

Gold in and around brookfield, Mt Cootha, Mt Crosbey? 01410

Gold in and around brookfield, Mt Cootha, Mt Crosbey? 01510

Gold in and around brookfield, Mt Cootha, Mt Crosbey? 01610

Gold in and around brookfield, Mt Cootha, Mt Crosbey? 01810
gcause
gcause
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 277
Registration date : 2011-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Detrackozi Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:19 pm

Thanks Harb

gcause

Great Photo's just love those Quartz's seams in the bedrock reminds me of Lal Lal out west of Melbourne
Detrackozi
Detrackozi
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  brookygold Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:45 pm

Great Pics!!!

Do you ride a motorbike?... if so, I saw you... i was in a kilt.

Can you show me a map of the trails with the creek at the bottom of boscome rd trail?

Also, do you reckon there would be any colour at the reservoir or the bottom of Jones rd trail?

brookygold
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  artrix Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:54 pm

brookygold wrote:Great Pics!!!

Do you ride a motorbike?... if so, I saw you... i was in a kilt.

Can you show me a map of the trails with the creek at the bottom of boscome rd trail?

Also, do you reckon there would be any colour at the reservoir or the bottom of Jones rd trail?

Did you find the shaft and adit at the end of boscombe rd

artrix
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  brookygold Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:03 pm

no... i couldnt find where to get off the track.

Is the quartz vein at the other end of that track?

brookygold
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  artrix Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:13 pm

No idea about quartz veins but the shaft is just down the hill alongthe fence line maybe 100 metres from the road

artrix
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  brookygold Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:20 pm

thanks for that... Is it easy to get to?... also can you see it easily?

Should i run over it with a detector?

Cheers

brookygold
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum