Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vehicle Security - Any tips?

+22
Big Nugget
Imadogman
Chimpy
Harb
djthebigfella
Axeman
YellowFever
Geronimo Reilly
jmp333
nero_design
maka
burnie
goldquest
Rangirocks
GoldstalkerGPX
Nature_Pete
Dunnart
U308
Narrawa
Chuckles
likatiger
slugsbrother
26 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

security - Vehicle Security - Any tips? Empty Vehicle Security - Any tips?

Post  slugsbrother Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:59 pm

Hello Men (and ladies?),

Just wondering if you guys have any tips about vehicle security while out prospecting. I don't own a very flash car (flat out affording a decent detector Sad ) but I am wondering about leaving my vehicle parked by the roadside in semi rural (hillbilly) type areas for several hours at a time while out detecting. I intend to do this until I can afford bigger trips to more secluded/less populated areas.

Is there anything in particular you guys do/don't do to secure your vehicles or any tips on security of it?

Thanks.
slugsbrother
slugsbrother
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2011-06-26

Back to top Go down

security - Vehicle Security - Any tips? Empty Re: Vehicle Security - Any tips?

Post  likatiger Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:21 pm

Don't leave things of value in your car or in plain view. I have also known people to leave their car unlocked or a window down so the "scum" dont smash one to get in for a "stickybeak"

likatiger
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2011-06-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Chuckles Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:58 pm

A car alarm system sticker plus a gun club sticker will deter most would-be thieves...no low-life wants to risk getting used for target practise. affraid

Chuckles
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2011-05-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:47 am

How to deter a thief.

Ingredients needed.
1. Unused disposable nappy.
1. Chocolate bar (snickers will do nicely)
1. Warped sense of humor

Instructions.
Place snickers on dash while on rout to gold field for obvious reasons.
On arrival, take nappy and scrunch it up some, giving it the used look. take somewhat melted snickers from dashboard and assemble it into nappy with attention to detail, place on either drivers seat or passengers with nappy exposing the contents, lock doors & wind windows up........and go prospecting.

This method is by far easier to explain then the method using a condom. affraid

Both methods would cause even the most backward of crooks to rethink his intentions once either deterrent is spotted. Shocked

Disclaimer.
If you suffer from a sweet tooth or weight issues, you can substitute the chocolate with a more natural ingredient. mud!

Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1885
Registration date : 2008-10-22

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  U308 Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:06 am

Option two:

How to deter a would be thief

(1) Make up a false Interpol Orange Notice
(2) Wanted for murder, grievous bodily harm, head of drug running cartel etc etc
(3) Place notice on dash so it may be read (don’t make it to obvious)
(4) Leave pistol holster on seat

You should be safe to move off prospecting now for the day, even leave the window open with the keys in the ignition (optional), in a short period of time there should be a member of the sheriffs department arrive to watch your vehicle for the duration of your excursion, hell there may well be ten or twenty members keeping an eye on the said vehicle for you even a chopper may turn up, how safe is this Question

There is a downside to this tactic: you may well be required to answer some questions upon your return, small price to pay for peace of mind I feel.

Just one thing when approaching after your excursion do so in a transparent way no walking behind trees or sneaking up on your vehicle (for obvious reasons)
security - Vehicle Security - Any tips? Peepwall
Good luck Wink

U308
U308
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2009-10-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Dunnart Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:35 am

As a lone prospector I always carry three fold-out chairs. It is nice to be able to offer visitors a seat, but more importantly I would always set the three up so it looks as if there is three of us.

My theory is if a would-be crook spots you and then your camp with one chair.....bingo, easy pickings. But if he has only seen you yet there are three chairs, he asks himself where are the others????

Cool
Dunnart
Dunnart
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  slugsbrother Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:45 am

Some good ideas there.

slugsbrother
slugsbrother
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Nature_Pete Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:00 am

Narrawa wrote:How to deter a thief.

Ingredients needed.
1. Unused disposable nappy.
1. Chocolate bar (snickers will do nicely)
1. Warped sense of humor

That is a cracker Narrawa! Razz Razz Razz

I used to carry an ammo belt and empty/open gun bag in my old Landcruiser. The ammo belt was slung over the gear stick and the gun bag (always open and empty) would sit across the seat with a few spent 12 guage shells next to it. I learnt this trick when I was younger and my friends and I discovered a vehicle with basically the same set up, in the middle of no-where. Instantly, we started looking around .... affraid then promptly took off. It was a pretty clear message.

These days, I think I'll opt for Narrawa's 'Nappy Deterant'. It's cheap, easy and most likely extremely effective! ... Especially with an ammo belt next to it Twisted Evil

Nature Pete. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Nature_Pete
Nature_Pete
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2011-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:43 am

Last edited by GoldstalkerGPX on Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:26 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : pointless)
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:18 pm

My friend swears by leaving shotgun shells on the passenger seat and in the centre console as has been previously mentioned.

Back to top Go down

Post  Rangirocks Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:59 pm

Get Mum to drop you off Smile

Rangirocks
Rangirocks
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2011-05-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:26 pm

slugsbrother wrote:Hello Men (and ladies?),
Is there anything in particular you guys do/don't do to secure your vehicles or any tips on security of it?
Thanks.
Glad you asked the question slugsbrother. All these suggestions are very creative and I can't stop laughing! Great collection of excellent tips.
lol! lol! lol!

Back to top Go down

Post  goldquest Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:55 pm

Rangirocks wrote:Get Mum to drop you off Smile

Good on your Rangirocks, this is the best idea, go into the forest should be a pleasure, If you are so scared guys stay home, no one will force you to go, I allways go out alone for at least 20 years, and I can assure you that I never had any problem. Very Happy Very Happy
Cheers
Goldquest
goldquest
goldquest
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2011-04-27

Back to top Go down

Post  burnie Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:29 pm

I have a UHF radio mounted in the car, I make it a habit of turning it on with volume up high when I leave the car.
Whilst out walking I make a call at odd intervals on my handheld usually saying "can I help you" or "get the F*** away from the car".
It works for a good 12 Km with a good handheld affraid

burnie
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2008-10-28

Back to top Go down

Post  slugsbrother Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:07 pm

How about I get yours to do it Smile

slugsbrother
slugsbrother
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  slugsbrother Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:12 pm

goldquest wrote:

Good on your Rangirocks, this is the best idea, go into the forest should be a pleasure, If you are so scared guys stay home, no one will force you to go, I allways go out alone for at least 20 years, and I can assure you that I never had any problem. Very Happy Very Happy
Cheers
Goldquest

You obviously didn't read the the thread topic. Vehicle security......

Good to hear your so brave though Rolling Eyes

slugsbrother
slugsbrother
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  maka Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:44 pm

Do what i do . Drive a $600 festiva, Insure it for 2 grand and leave a screwdriver on the roof.
maka
maka
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 626
Registration date : 2011-06-28

Back to top Go down

Post  slugsbrother Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:49 pm

maka wrote:Do what i do . Drive a $600 festiva, Insure it for 2 grand and leave a screwdriver on the roof.

Hahaha, good idea, might run with that one. cheers
slugsbrother
slugsbrother
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  nero_design Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:03 pm

I guess there's not all that much you can do. I've had people break into my cars in the past, one of them nearly bled to death from the injuries he sustained from the broken glass from my back window. Nothing much of value was taken each time although one stole a VERY expensive car stereo. In the goldfields, it's a different ballgame because nobody comes running when the sound of broken glass is heard.

Things that I do when detecting include leaving an open bottle of juice or half drunk soft drink in the cup holder to suggest that I'm not that far away. A half eaten sandwich (the type you buy in the blister package at most service stations) left on the center console adds to the effect. I used to leave a photographic magazine or manual on the front seat so any passing ranger with an overactive imagination would simply assume I'm off photographing wildlife (which is not far from the truth). But someone suggested to me that if they think there's a camera in the car it might inspire them to break in.

I don't normally advocate leaving ammunition boxes or firearm related holsters because there's plenty of people who will break into a car just because they suspect there might be a firearm in it. This is why the Police officers homes once had the highest break-in rating as burglars were under the belief that there might be a handgun inside. This is also why police are now encouraged to leave their handguns at the station instead of taking them home. Still, if it works, do it. Remember that a passing Parks Officer, Police Officer, Ranger or Forestry official passing your car may take a closer look at it to see if it is dumped (possible) or contains a suicide victim (oddly this is highly likely). If the police end up at your car, they'll run the plates and if they suspect the car might then be tied to a possible crime, you may return to find a broken window or no car at all if they've towed it.

When returning home from a journey that involves detecting, we use a thin, steel cable with plastic coated shroud to lock down our detectors to the interior of the trunk. They can be purchased at computer stores and are similar to the Kensington Locks that are used to lock down a laptop computer in public. If we're stopping for food or fuel, anyone that gets into the trunk will have to decide if they will disassemble the detector to get it off the cable whilst the car alarm wails. I usually take the control box with armrest and upper shaft with me now when I leave the car and don't want to return to the scene of a theft.

On a hot day, it's almost insane NOT to leave your windows down about 1cm to allow the hot air to dissipate. Try not to allow enough room for someone to slide their fingers into the crack because they can pull the window out, causing the safety glass to shatter. If I'm in a State Forest, I fold up one of my permits and place it on the dash so any passing Rangers will see that I have cause to be parking there. I use a photocopy and keep an original on me plus one on the detector in a pouch on the control box cover.

A guy I worked with once had his BMW broken into and when the thieves realized there were no valuables inside it, they slashed the interior roof cover with a knife (or box cutter) and left a message with a thick permanent marker that read "Next time, leave your valuables in the car, you c***". For this reason, it probably wouldn't hurt to leave an A4 sized printed notice in your car on the front seat that reads "No Valuables Left In This Vehicle". Does anyone else think this would deter thieves? I haven't tried it but it seem practical to me. These days they'll smash a whole window just to get to a near-empty packet of cigarettes.

nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:38 pm

I have not had anybody try to get into my wagon while I was away from it, but some dipstick tried to get in while I was sleeping in it one night. Shocked I allowed him the privilege of having a look down the pointy end of my ole .222 BSA Hunter. It had a mean looking shock wave diffuser at the end that made the beast look like a .45cal affraid when viewed from the front, she wasn't loaded of course Very Happy but the dipstick didn't know that and he took off back to his car and disappeared down the road, thought about sending a personal load surprise package after him at around 3000ft per sec but decided to keep my target practice for the RAAF rifle range. Wink

Realy like some of the ideas you blokes have come up with and had a good laugh as well.
Cheers
Adrian SS

Last edited by Adrian SS on Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:35 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

security - Vehicle Security - Any tips? Empty Vehicle Security-any tips

Post  jmp333 Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:50 pm

I don't think you could beat a very large bone on the ground next to your car and a very large dog water bowl?
JMP333

jmp333
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2008-11-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Geronimo Reilly Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:39 pm

jmp333 wrote:I don't think you could beat a very large bone on the ground next to your car and a very large dog water bowl?
JMP333
Why just a bone & water bowl ? I know a bloke who takes his Doberman everywhere, but leaves him on a long lead by the car when out detecting. I can assure you that he has never had a problem & even leaves the windows down in hot weather. That dog even scares me & i know him. !!! affraid affraid
Slainte, Geronimo.
Geronimo Reilly
Geronimo Reilly
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2011-05-10

Back to top Go down

Post  YellowFever Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:49 pm

sorry i couldn't help myself but to post this

YellowFever
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2011-05-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:53 pm

Thats the best

lol! lol! lol!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:32 pm

What a crackup... lol! lol! lol!

Back to top Go down

Post  goldquest Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:55 pm

slugsbrother wrote:
goldquest wrote:

Cheers
Goldquest

Thank you,
I can defend my self, and yes I read the topic, but my car is insured and if something should happen the insurance will pay damages, life is too short to worry about everything. Mad
Goldquest

goldquest
goldquest
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  maka Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:11 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDrzMGdYWZc
This will stop anyone without a doubt..
maka
maka
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 626
Registration date : 2011-06-28

Back to top Go down

Post  slugsbrother Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:54 pm

goldquest wrote:
slugsbrother wrote:
goldquest wrote:

Cheers
Goldquest

Thank you,
I can defend my self, and yes I read the topic, but my car is insured and if something should happen the insurance will pay damages, life is too short to worry about everything. Mad
Goldquest

Good to hear, but just because the topic does not relate to you and you have nothing to "worry" about, that does not mean others are not interested in hearing sound advice about the topic at hand. In other words, if you don't have anything constructive or valid to add, pull your head in. Thank you.
slugsbrother
slugsbrother
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  goldquest Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:13 pm

slugsbrother wrote:
goldquest wrote:
slugsbrother wrote:
goldquest wrote:

Cheers
Goldquest

Thank you,
Goldquest

Good to hear, but just because the topic does not relate to you and you have nothing to "worry" about, that does not mean others are not interested in hearing sound advice about the topic at hand. In other words, if you don't have anything constructive or valid to add, pull your head in. Thank you.

No if you do not mind I prefer to stay and listen to your fears. Take a deep breath and relax, you sound a little excited.

goldquest
goldquest
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  slugsbrother Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:51 pm

goldquest wrote:
slugsbrother wrote:
goldquest wrote:
slugsbrother wrote:
goldquest wrote:

Cheers
Goldquest

Thank you,
Goldquest

No if you do not mind I prefer to stay and listen to your fears. Take a deep breath and relax, you sound a little excited.

Looks like I have found the local troll on this site.

slugsbrother
slugsbrother
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next