Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sluice design from pvc pipe

3 posters

Go down

Sluice design from pvc pipe Empty Sluice design from pvc pipe

Post  maka Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:24 pm

Hi, guys toying with an idea about a sluice made from large pvc pipe, Maybe 200mm diameter. My thought is that i can glue ribbed matting in it easily, its light weight, and you can join sections together making it ideal to carry on long walks. 3x600mm sections, so an 1800 mm sluice will be only 600mm long.
I intend to split the pipe longways and glue the matting in perpendicular to the water flow.
So it would just be a half pipe section at 600mm x3.So i can make it 600mm , 1200mm, or 1800mm depending on slope water flow and gravel size used.
My thought is that being concave it may not work that well. But gold should go to the centre being heaviest???
I am thinking about running a bilge pump to it with a motor bike battery and a solar panel for constant charging.
This will have no Hungarian riffles in it, just purely for fine gold.
Any thoughts appreciated. or feedback if you have toyed with this idea,
Cheers.
maka
maka
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 626
Registration date : 2011-06-28

Back to top Go down

Sluice design from pvc pipe Empty Re: Sluice design from pvc pipe

Post  Guest Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:27 pm

yes it has been done and ill get you some pics of the banjos James101 and others made a few years ago Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:38 pm

In the past we have made and used the PVC pipe Banjo’s, this is what I found. First off the PVC was easy to work with you could heat it and shape it as you wish. But the PVC weighed far more than a aluminium square unit of the same size. The matting may give you trouble if it is glued at clean up time, the Hungarian riffle is designed for the larger sized gold and should be incorporated in your riffle design. The gold dose go to the centre and the design dose reduce the amount of concentrate at clean up time a point which is overlook in most designs.
For a river sluice I feel the PVC pipe would be of a great advantage but the idea with the Bilge pump is in question I feel the little pump will not have the grunt to drive the unit. A small petrol pump would be a far better choice and the weight would be about the same as the bilge pump and battery. Hope that helps.
Cheers
James 101

Sluice design from pvc pipe RoundbanjoSmall

Sluice design from pvc pipe B1Small

Sluice design from pvc pipe B2Small

© 2011

Last edited by James 101 on Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:42 pm

Thanks James101 saves be lookin for that pic cheers cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:43 pm

It was in a pipe banjo the 'original' catch tray was developed Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:50 pm

I did hear that Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:08 pm

With no riffles the mat in your Poly sluice will easily be chocked with other fine's, My guess on the size mentioned you would have your fine gold flowing out the end in a couple of good shovels worth of dirt! You need riffles, simple removable ones with screw/bolt from underneath, pulling down tightly on your carpet will work.
Lots of ways to fix the problem, overcoming weight will be the biggest issue. I cant see why you can't use a good boat bilge pump 1400 gallons an hour should do the job on that size sluice, Just need to adjust the slope to compensate!

Cheers~Chris.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:11 pm

someday wrote:With no riffles the mat in your Poly sluice will easily be chocked with other fine's, My guess on the size mentioned you would have your fine gold flowing out the end in a couple of good shovels worth of dirt! You need riffles, simple removable ones with screw/bolt from underneath, pulling down tightly on your carpet will work.
Lots of ways to fix the problem, overcoming weight will be the biggest issue. I cant see why you can't use a good boat bilge pump 1400 gallons an hour should do the job on that size sluice, Just need to adjust the slope to compensate!

Cheers~Chris.
its ok when you are down at the waters edge but if you need to lift the water they just dont work Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:22 pm

If there properly submersed they should lift with little lose at 12 feet. I know it doesn't take much to be 12 feet above a water course! Fine see if I care, use your petrol driven pumps.
lol! lol! lol!
Cheers~Chris.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:28 pm

weight of pump +weight of car battery = ? a small 4 stroke is much more adaptable in my eyes Very Happy and you only need it ticking over --very quiet Very Happy but hey if ya want 12v go for it who am I to stop ya lol!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:40 pm

Never said I wanted either! lol! Having said that, My resent metal detecting decision on trying to find fine gold leads, is putting me back to re thinking the sluice idea
"And how to pump enough water" to operate a sizable sluice! Isn't life supposed to get easier as we get older?
I missed something somewhere!

Cheers~Chris.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:43 pm

lol! lol! lol!

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:48 pm

someday wrote:Never said I wanted either! lol! Having said that, My resent metal detecting decision on trying to find fine gold leads, is putting me back to re thinking the sluice idea
"And how to pump enough water" to operate a sizable sluice! Isn't life supposed to get easier as we get older?
I missed something somewhere!

Cheers~Chris.

Life is like a roll of toilet paper. The shorter it gets the quicker it goes! lol!
Billy
Billy
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2011-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:05 pm

That's a bummer!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:26 pm

lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! affraid

Back to top Go down

Post  maka Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:10 pm

I did buy a 2000GPH bilge. Hopefully it will work. the only reason i want an electric is to be very quiet where i am. A pump running even a 4 stroke will look and sound less environmentally friendly if people come along to complain about worms living under the rocks i am digging up.
And i have worked in industry all my life and sick of generators, etc running and i do want tranquility when i am out in the scrub.
Cheers for the pics, looks like a great design, I do have a wooden one that i could modify, but it will rot eventually..
maka
maka
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 626
Registration date : 2011-06-28

Back to top Go down

Sluice design from pvc pipe Empty mey maka

Post  madmaverick Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:23 pm

that pump should work as I have one that i use for my sluice and it works well with the spray bars I made up

happy hunting
Steve and Lea
madmaverick
madmaverick
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2010-07-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:36 pm

I would keep the jetting holes to 1.5 mil cheers cheers