Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Peoples opinion - fake gold specimens

5 posters

Go down

Peoples opinion - fake gold specimens Empty Peoples opinion - fake gold specimens

Post  Goldbait Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:53 pm

Using the below link is merely to provide an example of what i am talking about in this thread. I am in no way bad wording this listing as the seller states that the specimens are man made.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Gold-nugget-made-specimens-43-Total-Grams-gross-/150615791390?pt=AU_RocksFossilsMinerals&hash=item231166971e

So, what are peoples opinions of these specimens.

I for one would never touch one, but it seams they are made with real gold... probably leaf gold that has been carefully pushed onto the quartz.
Goldbait
Goldbait
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 805
Registration date : 2010-08-31

Back to top Go down

Peoples opinion - fake gold specimens Empty Re: Peoples opinion - fake gold specimens

Post  HOBO'S Gold Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:04 pm

I've looked at these on fleebay, why would you buy one? how pure is the gold? could be any amount of gold on it, I think these should be illegal to make or sell. ok yes he did said man made, but it doesn't stop someone buying it and then selling it as the real thing Evil or Very Mad

Regards Johnny sunny
HOBO'S Gold
HOBO'S Gold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 969
Registration date : 2008-10-22

https://www.youtube.com/user/HOBOsGold?feature=mhee

Back to top Go down

Peoples opinion - fake gold specimens Empty Re: Peoples opinion - fake gold specimens

Post  Guest Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:15 pm

Gday

I am with you on that Johnny, there is every chance in the world that they can, and probably have been on sold to unsuspecting tourists and anybody else unfamiliar with what gold specimens usually look like, and I also think it should be illegal as well.

There have been enough issues for valid sellers of nuggets and specimens to deal with already with fakes being about the place, once bitten twice shy, if someone gets caught out by buying a fake then there is little chance that they will buy again.

The seller is only validating that the item is a fake so that they will still sell, but there is no way of knowing what the buyer will do with it and thats where the real problem lies.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:44 pm

Pretty much anything and everything natural has been immitated or made to look like something else.
Look at what people do with iron, aluminium for example.......They turn it into ships n boats n planes n stuff.
There are fake coins fake diamonds fake gold fake bloody everthing. A car has about 100 bucks worth of metal in it.(before refining)
The main thing here is that the seller has stated that he has manufactured the speci samples, which, with a stretch of the imagination, could be called a work of art or even jewelery. In any case the buyer knows what they are buying; What they choose to do with it after that is their problem and their choice; If they choose to break the law then they will pay the penalty later on. I could find an ounce of gold worth around 1500 dollars and turn it into a necklace and sell it for 3000 dollars or I could take a gold necklace and turn it into some immitation nuggets and make 3000 dollars on it, the main thing being is that I state clearly that the nuggs are man made, and that the necklace is genuine gold of a particular quality.

Just an opinion.

Adrian SS

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:38 pm

Personally new a rip off jeweler over in WA who made making dud nuggets in Quartz an art form, This was for a 1 ounce prize winner, the main body was a mix of 25 % gold 75 % silver
the outer was 24 carrot gold so it looked amazing! so for aprox $ 300.00 and his labor, his average ask price was about $2.500.00, this is some 15 years ago.
Good thing he died 5 ish years ago. Problem is, if he could do it, who else is also out there doing the same thing. Question Question
Cheers~Chris.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:42 pm

The world and shops and Galleries, museums etc are full of items for sale that might only have a few dollars worth of materials in them but that sell for hundred, thousand and millions of dollars. People will pay what they think an item is worth to them if they realy want the item. As far as the piece of jewelery you mentioned is concerned, it sounds like it was a pretty decent bit of work that took talent and skill to produce and if it is a one off then it's probably worth a lot more today. .... But then of course if nobody wants it or buys it then it is worthless.

Talking about scams and cons!!,
Here's a beauty.
Remember when brown diamonds were only ever used for diamond drill bits and cutting tools and were worth zip.
Well then, some clever dick who was commisioned by the Queen to make her something nice decided to make a nifty diamond studded egg and figured he would use Brown Diamonds (probably cost a couple of dollars for the diamond rough) and now after that egg was shown all around the world and claimed to be a magnif bit of work, we now see scungy brown drill bit diamonds are called Champagne and cognac coz it sounds a lot more saleable than just Brown diamond and lo and behold, people now think scungy ole brown diamonds are something wonderfull and worth buckets. Amazing what a bit of clever marketing can do hey!

Last edited by Adrian SS on Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:08 pm; edited 3 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:01 pm

One of a kind it wasn't! Advertised as man made it wasn't. A con it was! How many sold? put it this way he was always busy."Overseas tourists".

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:05 pm

OK, no probs , sounds like he is not the sort of person I am talking about and was a BS artist.

Back to top Go down

Post  xenon Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:25 am

Adrian SS wrote:The world and shops and Galleries, museums etc are full of items for sale that might only have a few dollars worth of materials in them but that sell for hundred, thousand and millions of dollars. People will pay what they think an item is worth to them if they realy want the item. As far as the piece of jewelery you mentioned is concerned, it sounds like it was a pretty decent bit of work that took talent and skill to produce and if it is a one off then it's probably worth a lot more today. .... But then of course if nobody wants it or buys it then it is worthless.

Talking about scams and cons!!,
Here's a beauty.
Remember when brown diamonds were only ever used for diamond drill bits and cutting tools and were worth zip.
Well then, some clever dick who was commisioned by the Queen to make her something nice decided to make a nifty diamond studded egg and figured he would use Brown Diamonds (probably cost a couple of dollars for the diamond rough) and now after that egg was shown all around the world and claimed to be a magnif bit of work, we now see scungy brown drill bit diamonds are called Champagne and cognac coz it sounds a lot more saleable than just Brown diamond and lo and behold, people now think scungy ole brown diamonds are something wonderfull and worth buckets. Amazing what a bit of clever marketing can do hey!

I heard thast it was Argyle diamonds wsho commisioned an American guru to come over here to do something with the "so called JUNK diamonds". He introduced these crappy old brown diamonds onto the market as "COGNAC diamonds"
and people bought them.

99% of people in this world are sheep, tell them something and they will follow
xenon
xenon
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2011-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:10 am

AHH Jeez n now yer gone an dunit, Yer az put doubt in me mind?? Still, I noz vat va werd Queen, n Jooler, n egg woz in va story sumwhere Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  byronbinalong Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:37 am

Adrian SS wrote:AHH Jeez n now yer gone an dunit, Yer az put doubt in me mind?? Still, I noz vat va werd Queen, n Jooler, n egg woz in va story sumwhere Very Happy

sorry man - but you gotta lay off the craaaap you been drinkin or smokin What a Face What a Face makes it bluddy hard to read, gotta read thru a few times to get the gist of it Shocked Shocked Shocked .... heh heh heh ....JOKIN Very Happy
byronbinalong
byronbinalong
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 595
Registration date : 2010-12-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:06 am

Aye!!, Aye!!, Aye!! an OI!! OI!!...Jus a minit ver, we az orl ad va same edecashun an az va sames programin in ar eds an eny ar I orwaze got gud inglish marks at skeel coz vay woz orl made up ov wuns an zeroze. Trubble iz yez blokes wot neva lerneded ta rede va queeze inglish. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy clown clown

Back to top Go down

Post  byronbinalong Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:57 pm

Adrian SS wrote:Aye!!, Aye!!, Aye!! an OI!! OI!!...Jus a minit ver, we az orl ad va same edecashun an az va sames programin in ar eds an eny ar I orwaze got gud inglish marks at skeel coz vay woz orl made up ov wuns an zeroze. Trubble iz yez blokes wot neva lerneded ta rede va queeze inglish. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy clown clown

AS ABOVE DUDE ... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
byronbinalong
byronbinalong
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 595
Registration date : 2010-12-09

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:00 pm

Goldbait wrote:
So, what are peoples opinions of these specimens.

Goldbait, Each to thier own I guess, but I wouldn't want a fake speci, just like I don't want a fake coin or fake ferrari and I definately wouldn't want a fake detector. pirat

I can't read that stuff either and gave up trying ages ago, I don't do Germlish Laughing
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down