Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any fellow detectorists around Port Macquarie NSW

3 posters

Go down

Any fellow detectorists around Port Macquarie NSW Empty Any fellow detectorists around Port Macquarie NSW

Post  nuggets Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:57 am

Hi all,

I am keen detectorist and spend most of my spare time weekends and holidays swinging the detector anywhere I might have a chance of finding some gold. I have recently moved from Sydney to Port Macquarie and am looking for some good spots to get to on the weekend that aren't too far from Port Macquarie. When in Sydney I was making regular trips to Hill End about 4hrs drive. I have been going to Nundle since moving to Port which is about the same distance. I have been detecting for a bit over a year now and still can't get enough of it. Are there any clubs in Port. It would be great to meet up with anyone in the area who shares my enthusiam for this hobby.

Nuggets

nuggets
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2010-09-19

Back to top Go down

Any fellow detectorists around Port Macquarie NSW Empty Re: Any fellow detectorists around Port Macquarie NSW

Post  Guest Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:07 pm

Last edited by fencejumper on Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:57 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : pointless)

Back to top Go down

Any fellow detectorists around Port Macquarie NSW Empty Re: Any fellow detectorists around Port Macquarie NSW

Post  Narrawa Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:55 pm

G-day Nuggets, we had a crew from up cofs way the other week at H.E, if they can travel down it looks like you may have to as well. Laughing Laughing
Mate, theres no getting away from us is there.?

By the way, did you get anymore from H.E on your last visits?
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1885
Registration date : 2008-10-22

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  nuggets Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:16 pm

Gudday Narrawa,

Mate I did pick up a few more small bits there at Hill End all sub gram stuff except for one 1.2g piece I just wish I had more time to be swinging the detector. I have been heading out to Nundle since moving to Port Macquarie its about the same distance as driving from Sydney to Hill End. Mate I can't thank you enough for the tips you gave me at Hill End. I would probably have packed it in months ago swinging the detector 10cm above the ground with my DD coil. I bought an 8 inch commander Mono which was a game changer for me on the small shallow stuff at Hill End. I do want to get a bit of training on going after the deeper signals because I have really been focussing on the small shallow stuff but would really luv to jag a nice deep bit. I was watching one of your utube vids a couple of days ago where you were digging a nice deep flat piece at night. I am getting out swinging the detector every chance I get another trip to Hill End with you guys would be great. I want to get to Tibooburra later this year maybe around October.

Nuggets.

nuggets
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:53 pm

Mate it was our pleasure to lend a hand, there is nothing more pleasing then to give someone a little guidance when first starting out. Your a fast learner and the proof is in the pudding with the haul you have so soon off the batt.
Deeper bits like the 6g bit i got that night wont take someone like you to long to master, finding signals like that comes a little easier for those who are able to mindset themselves for just those responses.
Dig every thing is another mindset, but its common practice to adopt it to most of your detecting. I dont practice what i preach sometimes and have payed the price, but thats the mindset you chose on the day.
Nothing wrong with focusing on the small shallow stuff, if the chosen mindset on the day has ripped a hole in my nighty, i'll toss a small coil on and mixed it up some. If i dont that women of mine will hoover all over the place with that filthy 4000 growing from her arm. Laughing
Digging gold at night mate is a rush as you know from being with us hillbillies that night at H.E Shocked and i remember that youtube dig well, i took some off the top before filming, thought it would speed things up some. Rolling Eyes

I'll drop you a line whenever we are heading up next, you may be able to swing a weekend that falls on a training one for us, and we'll hunt the darkness after i put the newbies to bed. Laughing

Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  nuggets Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:58 am

Mate that would be great. The drive is a bit further now which makes it harder for a weekend getaway at H.E but at least I know now if I go there I have got a fair chance at finding something. When you chase the deeper stuff do you change to deep timings on the front panel for the inverted signal and set the audio to deep. I have been trying this at Nundle because I have got a feeling there may not be the same quantity of shallow gold there. I have found a couple of little pieces using the 8 inch mono around some old diggings but the diggings aren't as extensive as at H.E so once you have gone over them you have to wander off into nearby areas that don't really show any signs of old timers diggings. The 8 inch is hard to take off because I have found 99% of my gold with it but I am sure there are must be some bigger deeper pieces in and around those old diggings.

nuggets
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:42 pm

No i dont change into deep on the front for the inverted signal, the GPX 4500 tends to invert a lot of signals when using enhance, which is one of the downsides compared to the older models that tended to only invert deeper signals.
I do however flick into special and use s/extra with a lower gain when the ground im working is not so mineralized.
I have never been one for the use of deep in the audio, GPX or older model, did give it ago for a short time on the GPX to try and re-educate myself, but poking myself in the eye would have been less painful. When i found the benefits of boost i simply conditioned myself for its use and hardly ever revert to the other audio filters. But there are times when they can be implemented and beneficial.
When teaching the new comer i simply flick their detector into custom and re-adjust for the EMI conditions if any, coil chosen, and ground where on at the time, so they can revert back to the general settings to compare if need be. This gives the operator 3 quick choices to experiment with at the flick of a switch till they find themselves some order.
The use of deep on the front penal is simply a set of filters being implemented, and has no change on the ability to go any deeper into the ground with out first changing to one of the other timings.( conditions apply) Left un altered it may be beneficial when comparing it to the same un altered settings in general. User perception.

The 8" mono is a top coil for sure, and i can fully understand your relationship with it, and how hard it is to break that relationship up through fear of missing gold. A simple way round this is to move up to a coil that will not alter your mindset to much, and that would be the 11" mono. This coil will educate you on how to dig deep holes, and at the same time you'll still pick up the usual findings as you did with the 8". When you do this you'll also find yourself altering some of your settings because things like GB will be slightly better off as the 11" wont require as much GBing among some of the benefits, and the depth this coil will add being the biggest benefit.
When you jump from an 8" mono to a 16" mono, your mindset must jump with it, iv seen many do this without having a clue as to what a deep signal sounds like. They say after being shown they have walked over such sounds.
The above self training from the 8 to the 11" will teach you how not to.
No point putting a 16" coil on to go looking for sub gram nuggets unless your able to. The key word is "able."

Those diggings you speak of at Nundle do offer some big deep digs, get above, below, to the side and find the shallower ground around the diggings to better match your coil and its depth. The plus side of this is virgin ground.

Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Any fellow detectorists around Port Macquarie NSW Empty tubby

Post  tubby Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:35 am

hi nuggets....port macquarie...i am just about to pick up my detectors and off roadcamper and want to learn.i am 59 and retired and bored and this sounds a great way to spend my time.is there anyone around taree area ready to do similar?

tubby
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-08-26

Back to top Go down