Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where is the Gold!

+9
Carms
geof_junk
the speciman
ange
Narrawa
TheGoldenChild
reg
GoldstalkerGPX
bullets
13 posters

Go down

Where is the Gold! Empty Where is the Gold!

Post  bullets Mon May 30, 2011 6:57 pm

I have been detecting in and around Dunolly and Moliagul for over 12 months.
The two nuggets I have found would get me no more than a slab of beer.
Things are pitiful when you dig thirty plus targets in three hours and not one being gold.
Once again do not believe what you hear or see in photos..
Cheers.
Bazz

bullets
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2011-05-25

Back to top Go down

Where is the Gold! Empty Re: Where is the Gold!

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Mon May 30, 2011 7:06 pm

G'day Bazz, Firstly welcome, What exactly here are you saying? I am a bit confused as to whether you are saying there is no gold around, just you are not finding any or people on the forum are posting fake photo's of thier finds?
I know of many other finds in the area's you have mentioned that have not seen light on the forums.
Gold certainly is getting harder to find and digging 30 targets to see no colour is probably an average day here in Vic for most, what ratio's were you expecting?
To be digging that many targets the ground has not been that well detected either has it.

Cheers
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  reg Mon May 30, 2011 7:18 pm

gotta agree with goldstalker
you gotta crawl before you walk if gold was easy to find imagine how many millionares in aus,nothing comes easy you gotta work for a crust, happy digging cheers
reg
reg
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 226
Registration date : 2009-03-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon May 30, 2011 7:22 pm

welcom to the forum, gold isn't everywhere... these areas have been flogged over the years and a lot off gold has been pulled out off these grounds and there's still getting some... what kind off detector are you running and what coils? and in 12 months you wouldn't have even touch 1% off all that bush...
cheers
stoppsy

Last edited by stoppsy on Mon May 30, 2011 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  TheGoldenChild Mon May 30, 2011 7:45 pm

Going over flogged ground or concentrating on old diggings might be ok for a quick fix of gold, normally small bits, but if you want to increase your chances of finding payable gold learn how to get the best from your machine, start reading the land and pick spots away from diggings and popular spots. There are plenty of areas around Dunolly that have not had as much attention as the two areas you mentioned. Do some reading on the Internet, use the geovic site http://new.dpi.vic.gov.au/earth-resources/products-services/online/geovic to find new locations and cover some ground. Gold in the triangle is getting harder to find, not like it was 15 years ago, but there is still plenty there for the prospectors that do their research and put in the hard yards.
TheGoldenChild
TheGoldenChild
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 688
Registration date : 2010-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Mon May 30, 2011 7:50 pm

bullets wrote:
Things are pitiful when you dig thirty plus targets in three hours and not one being gold.
Bazz

30+ in 3hrs?? thats your problem, you need to lift your game, try 100+ in 3hrs, toss in a few digs @ 18" + for junk and whatnot and beer o'clock never comes soon enough.
Or how about when your prospecting and you dig 500+ over a few days and go home goldless ay? dont that just tear a hole in your nightly.?
Or how about this.... you just finished crumbing an area and ya Mrs comes in and pulls a multi-gramer you dismissed as a bullet shell? ( thats never happen to me ) Embarassed
Curse and swear as much as you like but you know you'll be back tomorrow, because you've got the fever. Laughing

Welcome to the fever Bazz, venting ones disappointment at the very nature of the beast has been done to death, why i once tossed my pick and said BUM while stamping my feet because i was so over digging pellet shots.

I now re frame from tossing my equipment .... its costly to replace...i now just beat up on my partner because she has the ability to heal herself... unlike my equipment. lol!
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1885
Registration date : 2008-10-22

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  ange Mon May 30, 2011 8:18 pm

Hey Bullets
Welcolme to the forum, I thought you might find the following service helpful:
DUNOLLY VISITOR INFORMATION CENTRE
Located in:
BULL Street Dunolly
VIC 3472

Perhaps there's a detecting location that they might be able to help you with, seeing the forum is So Helpful to you
ange
ange
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2011-05-16

Back to top Go down

Post  reg Mon May 30, 2011 8:23 pm

only 12 months you might beat me to the yella yet,dont take it as a get rich thingo just enjoy as a hobbie,just like fishing Very Happy
reg
reg
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 226
Registration date : 2009-03-28

Back to top Go down

Post  the speciman Mon May 30, 2011 8:27 pm

GDAY BAZZ
what you found two nuggets in 12 months you lucky bu##er
i think it took me 14 months to find my first bit and after that i started to do some reserch and it became easier because i knew what i was looking for
(tuffin up princess)
good scratchin
cheers the speciman

the speciman
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2010-12-19

Back to top Go down

Post  geof_junk Mon May 30, 2011 9:07 pm

You have a few different replies there mate, but like I said on the phone get out there and find some ground that has not been totally flogged. The Guy who got the 2 pieces larger than 28 grams used to live in the same street as you when he was a kid. By the way he got those nuggets in the last week or so. Remember you have to walk over it and most times it sings out to you. Best of luck.
geof_junk
geof_junk
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 933
Registration date : 2008-11-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Carms Mon May 30, 2011 11:41 pm

Hi Bullets, I know how you feel, been there , in actual fact I'm still there digging numerous targets that arn't gold.

A question, what does everyone do with the targets ( ten, twenty, hundred or what ever that figure maybe) you dig out, do you put them back or take them home and bin them? I did think that because the ground was giving up tons of rubbish was an indication that no one had been over it , I'm now thinking that maybe they have been over it and just put back all the bl...dy rubbish they found???

Carms

Carms
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2009-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Tue May 31, 2011 12:33 am

Murachu wrote:I just love to see people like bullets Very Happy so disillusioned by their lack of success that they are about to 'give it away" may many more do the same ! lol! "If you seek success mix with successful people" Very Happy
So thats where iv been going wrong ay? Bugga!.. just when i started to like my friends. Laughing

give it away" may many more do the same !

Murachu, dude! my first post was going to be strait to the point, and cuss the complainingly who venture into this hobbie with thoughts of riches when first they come into bat, and realize its not to be. Rip-em a new one just as you have done, however...... im placid....and would prefer to hear more weeping from those ready to toss in the towel whilst handing out the tissues to em. Laughing
But i wont in this case, i will offer my support instead to the ones, through no fault of their own have taken a wrong turn, and ended up on the goldfields tip as Bullets has done.

Let it out Bullets!! stomp your feet and say bum! its just the daemon we all face from time to time. (I believe the yanks call it...skunked) scratch
Do as i use to do mate, just as you realize its another pellet shot, stand up swear ya head off and break something, throw stuff! kick the ground and spit!! turn around to see a couple old folks scurrying along a walking trail behind you that you never new about. You might as well give it your all now while your face is red and your gob is dripping with froth and spit running down your lip, and the blowflies cling to the discharge hanging out your nose...go with the moment..roar loudly as they runaway up the bush...you'll feel better for it trust me.

lol!
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1885
Registration date : 2008-10-22

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 31, 2011 8:56 am

Why should you be any different to the rest of us Bullets?
Go tell Millsy about it. He just loves to hear from people like you.
You should be thanking the gold gods that you live in Dunolly.
Hundreds of people would gladly trade places with you.
I hope your technique and research improve (note that I didn't say "luck")
as there is plenty of good gold still out there.

Robert

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 31, 2011 2:05 pm

Goldnomad wrote:Why should you be any different to the rest of us Bullets?
Go tell Millsy about it. He just loves to hear from people like you.
You should be thanking the gold gods that you live in Dunolly.
Hundreds of people would gladly trade places with you.
I hope your technique and research improve (note that I didn't say "luck")
as there is plenty of good gold still out there.

Robert

There you go Bullets I did the research for you, and it looks to me you are smack bang in the middle of gold country you lucky b**tard, now get out there swing the coil and dig some gold dont forget to post all the pics mate we all want to see em.

Where is the Gold! Dunoll10

Back to top Go down

Post  Detrackozi Tue May 31, 2011 6:25 pm

Ha Bullet how lucky are you to find a spot in Dunolly that has that much Rubbish how about sharing the spot with us all I would love to have a got, you just do not know what is going to come out next.

By the time 10 Forum members have been over it the gold will be ready to show its self or you should move from the dunolly tip Smile Smile

If you are in a gold bearing area then keep at it just move outside the rubbish zone and see if you can jag abit.

pirat pirat pirat pirat pirat pirat Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Good luck
Detrackozi
Detrackozi
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Back to top Go down

Where is the Gold! Empty do not believe what you hear

Post  adwata Tue May 31, 2011 8:12 pm

bullets sounds like detector is working well
I take all those pellits and bullets home going to make jig heads out of them so i can go fishing
enjoy what you do
adwata

adwata
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2011-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:17 am

Hi All
The truth is gold can be a hard Mistress and as we all know rewards can be randomly shared whether your new to the game or been around for years.Point in case ,A few years ago a St Arnaud newbie found a 100 ouncer in his first week and on the other side of the coin there are pros's that have never broke the one ounce mark.
So what can you do to improve your chances.
1Know your machine inside and out.(run it to its full capacity)This can be the difference between success and failure.
2Understand Goldfields (to the newbie they say nothing ,to the experienced detectorist they can be read)
3 Stay positive (you cant find gold in a negative frame of mind)Your not taking your detector for a walk,you are actually hunting.IE In Flogged areas think about places a detector has never been swung.Think of a goldfield as a map.If you gps's it you would find 90 percent of people do exactly the same thing.Ie If there is two trees 2 metres apart most will halve it and walk in the middle.Be different,work left for a session or right for a session.
Most people work the base of a gully or creekbed ,very few work the walls.
4Kick the top and go to fixed ground balance.By roughing up the top with your boot you will improve the signal and by going fixed you wont loose the feint ones
5Get the first dig right.The hole should be shaped like a saucer WITH NO SHARP EDGES smooth them off.By doing this you can get closer to target gradually.Dipping a coil down only upset gives you ground noise.
6Make or run you coil over a test pit.Understand which coil suits the ground you are on.(bullets theres a test patch at prices rd Maryborough) Coiltek can direct you.
7 Research Go thru wesites like this one and read up,Ask questions there enough cumulative knowledge here to get answers
The best results will be achieved when you do things your way,and the best way to acheive that is to go hunting for gold and off couse a bit of Luck doesnt go astray either.
Cheers Dig

Last edited by Dig24crt on Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:21 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldTone Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:34 pm

Thanks for the golden advice Dig24crt...
cheers cheers cheers

You know, this forum has only made me more realistic in my search for yella... Neutral

It has lead me on a historical journey into the brief history of Australia... pirat

Through rainforest gullies with kamikaze leeches... affraid

and with 90% research done waiting to pay for my detector I hope to be sharing my success from the 10% field work soon... Cool

GT
Cool
GoldTone
GoldTone
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2011-04-19

Back to top Go down

Post  ashley01 Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:44 pm

reg wrote:only 12 months you might beat me to the yella yet,dont take it as a get rich thingo just enjoy as a hobbie,just like fishing Very Happy
Im new to prospecting, love fishing and wish i had a dollar for every hour i have spent on a boat for no fish. cheers ashley

ashley01
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2013-03-15

Back to top Go down