Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ground noise problems with the gpx4500

4 posters

Go down

Ground noise problems with the gpx4500 Empty Ground noise problems with the gpx4500

Post  yellowmellow Sun May 22, 2011 8:36 pm

Hi All,

Occasionaly i have ground noises with the gpx4500.

Today i went to Talbot athe minelab training thing wasn t on due to the weather.

Any how i find that the gpx4500 is giving off some false signals that are inverted and sometimes ground noise.

I was running in enhance and gain of 10 i also ground balanced also.

I was mainly running in fixed.

Does any one have any settings to provent ground noise it was like a re re nosie.

Does any one have any solutions.

Cheers,

Tim Eureka
yellowmellow
yellowmellow
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1694
Registration date : 2009-06-24

Back to top Go down

Ground noise problems with the gpx4500 Empty Re: Ground noise problems with the gpx4500

Post  spongegold Sun May 22, 2011 8:42 pm

Hi Tim, The problem you had today, was probably the weather. There was a bit of thunder and lightning around today.

spongegold
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2010-08-30

Back to top Go down

Ground noise problems with the gpx4500 Empty Re: Ground noise problems with the gpx4500

Post  Mechanic Sun May 22, 2011 8:51 pm

Hi Tim,

If only!

The best thing you can do is learn to identify a ground noise. If you sweep from different directions it will help to identify some ground noises as from one direction they will sound like a target, from the other direction it will be long and extended and may only make a noise as you come off the end of it. The other thing you can do, once you have identified a known ground noise of say the falling pitch mark it, then when you find another falling pitch noise, go back to the original one, balance your detector there, then go back to the new one. if the noise is gone it was just that, however sometimes this can be troublesome as the ground around the noise may then give off a rising tone. In this situation I would carefully pump the coil up and down over the centre of where the noise originally was. If there is no noise doing this it means it was a ground noise. If you are still getting a falling tone, dig it.

Cheers Mick

Ps I hope this is not too confusing! Very Happy

Mechanic
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 695
Registration date : 2011-02-20

https://DetectronicsAustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun May 22, 2011 8:52 pm

This will help https://golddetecting.forumotion.net/t2959-settings-for-the-4500#25112 also get a copy of the seta project from Jonathon Porter it will help you.

And what Mick said his advice is right on the money.

Cheers Brian.

Back to top Go down

Post  yellowmellow Sun May 22, 2011 9:28 pm

Many thanks.

Cheers,

Tim Eureka
yellowmellow
yellowmellow
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  yellowmellow Mon May 23, 2011 11:42 am

Any other suggestions on settings.

Cheers,

Tim Eureka
yellowmellow
yellowmellow
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Mon May 23, 2011 3:13 pm

Tim what tracking speed are you using?

Have you applied and tried the settings that I sent you?
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  yellowmellow Mon May 23, 2011 3:28 pm

Hi there GoldstalkerGPX ,

I think i was using slow tracking speed and at times medium tracking speed.

Cheers,

Tim Eureka
yellowmellow
yellowmellow
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Mon May 23, 2011 4:11 pm

Tim in very highly mineralised area's try med or fast, also maybe then if it does not settle down you could try tracking rather than fixed. Another thought...is that DD coil you are selling a spare or the only one you have? If it is the only one then may pay you to hang onto it, if a DD coil doesn't smooth out the hot ground then nothing is going to....unless you are detecting under/over power lines or comms cables Laughing
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon May 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Mate get yourself a copy of the Seta Project by JP it will help you a lot to start off with honest.

Settings Basic.

Front end cap.

Double D mode even for Mono Coil
Ground Balance fixed
Soil Timings Enhanced
Search general
Threshold 2 oclock

Back end cap

Backlight off
Volume 10 speaker
GB General
Soil Timmings Normal
Manual tune 95-110
Motion slow
RX Gain 8
Audio Normal
Audio Tone 62
Stabilizer 10
Signal 19
Target 12
Response Normal
Tracking medium
Iron Off.

Correct me anybody if I missed something or settings wrong I am here to learn here to. study

Cheers Brian Jones.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon May 23, 2011 4:53 pm

Down here in the triangle the ground can get very noisy with the slightest bit of moisture on it... the way that i deal with it is :
lift the coil so it is not touching the ground ( but keep it close as possible to the ground )
slow your swing speed down dramatically
ground balance often ( proper ground balancing is crucial )
drop the rx gain ( dont go lower than 8 , i can usually run mine around 9 or 10 )
lower the stabilizer to 6 or even 5
switch audio into quiet mode

I leave my ground balance in fixed all the time
soil timings in enhance
mono mode for mono coil

As soon as the ground allows i will up the numbers on the gain , stabilizer & switch the audio into Normal..
Another good thing to do is to take some time finding the " sweet " spot for your manual tune.. ideally it should be between 80 & 110 .. mine is 96 & it stays on that every i go - only adjusting it up or down a few digits when
EMI starts to come in..
The above works for me & hope it helps you out..

cheers gully hunter

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon May 23, 2011 10:32 pm

The Modern Day Prospector wrote:Mate get yourself a copy of the Seta Project by JP it will help you a lot to start off with honest.

Settings Basic.

Front end cap.

Double D mode even for Mono Coil MONO
Ground Balance fixed
Soil Timings Enhanced
Search general
Threshold 2 oclock 11.30 to 12.00 oclock

Back end cap

Backlight off
Volume 10 speaker
GB General
Soil Timmings Normal If it is in ENHANCE thats all you get
Manual tune 95-110 101 to 111
Motion slow
RX Gain 8 11 or 12
Audio Normal deep or boost
Audio Tone 62 38
Stabilizer 10 6 to 8
Signal 19
Target 12 8 with booster
Response Normal
Tracking medium
Iron Off.

Correct me anybody if I missed something or settings wrong I am here to learn here to. study

Cheers Brian Jones.

G'day Brian, the settings you put up are close to mine an close to the seta dvd as well.

I just added my settings in BLUE against yours

cheers dave

Back to top Go down