Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

When ya go camping out

+20
chopppacalamari
Buckinroo Jake
TheH0ward
shelby23
mickb
cranky53
Justdigging
geof_junk
Universal1
Nature_Pete
C. Nyal de Kaye
Billy
CostasDee
Jigalong
artrix
xenon
mariner3800
Rwork
GoldstalkerGPX
byronbinalong
24 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

When ya go camping out - Page 2 Empty Re: When ya go camping out

Post  Jigalong Sat May 28, 2011 6:05 pm

byronbinalong,
Go to the Members Finds section and up the top you will see the new video section. Stoppsy has a video here about posting stuff.
Jig

Last edited by Jigalong on Sat May 28, 2011 8:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jigalong
Jigalong
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1316
Registration date : 2008-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post  byronbinalong Sat May 28, 2011 6:25 pm

thanks Jig .... and many thanks to Stoppsy too ... Cheerin cheers cheers cheers
byronbinalong
byronbinalong
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 595
Registration date : 2010-12-09

Back to top Go down

Post  byronbinalong Sat May 28, 2011 6:26 pm

byronbinalong wrote:thanks Jig .... and many thanks to Stoppsy too ... Cheerin cheers cheers cheers
When ya go camping out - Page 2 P1020714
byronbinalong
byronbinalong
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  cranky53 Sat May 28, 2011 6:36 pm

great looking unit .better keep in the good books with the missus or you might be sleeping in the swag

cranky53
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2011-05-12

Back to top Go down

Post  byronbinalong Sat May 28, 2011 6:43 pm

yep yep .... dog will be inside --- me outside under van

affraid affraid

the van is aussie made and manufactured too .... hoohoo What a Face What a Face
byronbinalong
byronbinalong
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Nature_Pete Sat May 28, 2011 8:06 pm

Very nice. Looks like a great, compact little unit. Being 17' it should be nice and light to tow. Enjoy, it looks a damn sight more comfortable than my tent! Wink

Nature Pete. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Nature_Pete
Nature_Pete
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2011-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post  byronbinalong Sat May 28, 2011 8:16 pm

1640 Tare .... with a bluuudy ensuite Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed ...oh well at least I can still go water the flora when needed ... after a few "sherbies" I luuuuuv going and watering the "plants" heh heh heh Shocked Shocked
byronbinalong
byronbinalong
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Jigalong Sat May 28, 2011 8:27 pm

Byronbinalong,,
I stuffed up the directions (fixed) a bit, but good to see you found it anyway. The new van is very swanky, five star.
Jig.
Jigalong
Jigalong
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1316
Registration date : 2008-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post  xenon Sat May 28, 2011 8:38 pm

Hi Byronbinalong,

Lovely looking wagon. Bet you cant wait to get out and about and give it a testing.

All the best
xenon
xenon
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2011-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post  mickb Sat May 28, 2011 9:09 pm

Hi all

I have a Nissan Navara with a rear canopy fitted.

Before I set out bush I remove the front passenger seat and the base of the rear seat I then fit a small piece of plywood to make the floor space flat and then lay out a single air bed and sleeping bag (I am 6'2" and can lay full stretch) the bedroom has air-conditioning and/or heating as required, just start the engine lol.

The reason for using this set up is it keeps me very mobile, I can go serious bush for the gold without worrying about a van or trailer getting bogged behind me, but were ever I put the handbrake on I can sleep the bed is made up ready to go, just wind down 2 windows and pull over a mozzie mesh, no bugs, no mozzies, fresh air and very comfortable, also if the gold runs out then I just shut the door and drive to the next patch.

In the back of the Ute I have a 120ltr water tank and storage boxes fitted under a false floor with all my food and utensils, all the other stuff is stored on top.

On the roof rack I have spare fuel, a long handle shovel, a spare tyre and a Hi lift jack.

I have a 12v-240v inverter that powers my laptop that I have mounted above the gear shift, I use this with ozzie explorer and google earth (if anyone wants to know how to use GE out bush then PM me its easy) I also have a twin 12v power outlet from my second car battery to charge other batteries like the detector, mobile phone, 2 way radio, GPS ect.

For a single person I find this setup extremely mobile and very comfortable

Kind regards
mickb

mickb
mickb
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 196
Registration date : 2011-02-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat May 28, 2011 9:47 pm

Jeez I dunno uze blokes yez must be loaded by tha looks ov sum ov va sleepers ya get around in?

The other day I thought I would have alook at some vans and campers. It has been a while since I lived in a van. (lived in one for 7 years) Cost me 2500 bucks.

Anyway I spotted a nice looking motorhome so I asked the sales bloke Owmuchizit? an e sez, 106 grand an I sez, Say bluddy what!?? Duz ut cum wif a block ov bluddy land!? Shocked Son of a gun! Times have changed. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun May 29, 2011 5:36 am

Gday

Adrian SS, I hear you there mate, some of the rigs I have seen in the scrub are awesome, one time on the way to Karratha I stopped overnight at a roadside stop along a creek, there were a couple of other vans there and after kicking back and starting my third/fourth/fifth beer in comes this huge bus with a big trailer attached, painted all the same as the bus and as pretty as a picture. cyclops

Anyway it trundles about the carpark for some time, obviously they are deciding on where to stop, eventually they stop near me, maybe I was in their spot?, tough luck, or at least the best looking spot there, all of a sudden there is all this further noise and activity as parts of each side of the bus starts to slide out, up goes the sattelite dish and all these lights come on, mum,dad and two kids clamber about the place, and then set up for dinner on a bird crap coated park picnic table, obviously trying hard to fit in with the locals. Cool

Well I looked at my humble troopy then back at the mega bus, gave them a hello wave and shouted out, "hey you wanna swap?" no reply just sidelong glances at the old fart who's probably drunk Suspect , anyway I wouldnt swap my troopy, and I didnt really want the kids anyway, got some already. affraid

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  byronbinalong Sun May 29, 2011 8:01 am

Mickb thats sounds cool by me, actually its more to what I want when its just me going, but since my radiation therapy my other half wont let me out of her sight .... yet What a Face What a Face still thinks I am wrapped in cotton wool ..... nah Very Happy Very Happy sooooo at the mo I gotta take the motel room and ensuite with me ..... heh heh heh Shocked Shocked
byronbinalong
byronbinalong
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  shelby23 Sun May 29, 2011 8:47 am

Hi

Great looking Van
Regards Neale

shelby23
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 685
Registration date : 2009-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun May 29, 2011 9:01 am

byronbinalong,

Is a sweet looking thing..I like the trappings of softness also Very Happy

Had a look the Colorado Summit Web page - http://www.coloradocaravans.com.au/gallery_summit.html

Noice inside What a Face

A

Back to top Go down

Post  byronbinalong Sun May 29, 2011 9:20 am

Thanks Ararat ... but for some reason the site doesnt have our layout inside ... and besides, its not that flash lookin as the site shows .... remember it is only 17ft, not 25plus
cheers
When ya go camping out - Page 2 Van10
byronbinalong
byronbinalong
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  TheH0ward Sun May 29, 2011 9:44 am

byronbinalong, awesome van! Youve just inspired me to spend some money! (just gotta make some to spend, lol.... will get rid of that darn boat first, might have to burn it, lmao)

I want a van soooooooo badly Twisted Evil
TheH0ward
TheH0ward
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 842
Registration date : 2010-08-05

Back to top Go down

Post  byronbinalong Sun May 29, 2011 10:03 am

TheH0ward wrote:byronbinalong, awesome van! Youve just inspired me to spend some money! (just gotta make some to spend, lol.... will get rid of that darn boat first, might have to burn it, lmao)

I want a van soooooooo badly Twisted Evil

When I sit down and think about it .... affraid .... its not soooo bad What a Face worked hard hard all my life and NOW it time to enjoy what I got left, aint young and invincible any more When ya go camping out - Page 2 P1020716
byronbinalong
byronbinalong
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  TheH0ward Sun May 29, 2011 10:08 am

affraid jeeeez the inside is fantastic, very pleasing to my eye! Think id buy one and live in it lol
TheH0ward
TheH0ward
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 842
Registration date : 2010-08-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun May 29, 2011 10:30 am

Hey byronbinalong , very nice bro.. & resonably priced too , may i ask - what is your tow vehicle that has the honour of pulling this luxury kennel on wheels...
cheers gully hunter

Back to top Go down

Post  byronbinalong Sun May 29, 2011 10:33 am

Nissan Patrol 97 model - 4.2 diesel with after market turbo .... should tow it quite easily ey cheers cheers
byronbinalong
byronbinalong
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun May 29, 2011 10:45 am

Will do it with ease ... should look sweet when coupled together... aaahhh the comforts in the middle of nowhere.. good score bro - well done

cheers gully hunter

Back to top Go down

Post  byronbinalong Sun May 29, 2011 11:15 am

kids (22 &18) have just seen the pics and said "where our beds?" ... heh heh heh told em "in there rooms in the house" cause you aint coming ..hah hah hah hah should have seen the looks on their faces ...PRICELESS What a Face What a Face
Its just for me - wife and dog, spending the kids inheritence is fun Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy When ya go camping out - Page 2 P1020718
byronbinalong
byronbinalong
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

When ya go camping out - Page 2 Empty Another Camping alternative

Post  Buckinroo Jake Sun May 29, 2011 8:54 pm

My preferred camping set up is a Slide-on camper on the back of my Pick-up truck.
It allows me to take all the comforts of home in the camper, and I can also tow a trailer
behind with the Quad and Enduro bike to explore well beyond base camp.
I have used it extensively over the last 3 years and the camper goes everywhere the 4x4 goes.
There are a number of good quality slide-on Campers now being made in Australia,and it is well
worth looking seriously at what they have to offer. One of the big advantages I have found is the
comparitive ease of pulling into an overnight camp, and within a couple of minutes, you can be
slipping into bed, or pulling a tab on a well earned stubby.

Because slide-on campers are not a registered towable camper, there is no registration costs or
other Govt hands in your back pocket.
Depending on your budget, you can have a Slide-out dining area, AC, shower/toilet,onboard generator,etc.
Being able to automatically lift up the camper and drive the truck out from under it, is a big plus.

Cheers, Buckinroo Jake

Buckinroo Jake
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2011-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post  chopppacalamari Sun May 29, 2011 11:20 pm

Wow you guys, I just take the sleeping bag and sleep in the passenger seat with a window cracked open just a bit. Esky and pick stay outside with the detector in the drivers seat. uncomfortable yes but I'm never in it very long. If I wake up uncomfortable I just get up and detect some more.

Too broke for anything else ATM.

Dicko..
chopppacalamari
chopppacalamari
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 660
Registration date : 2008-12-13

Back to top Go down

Post  scraps Mon May 30, 2011 11:38 am

When it was just the missus and me we always used a tent. By the time we had an 18 month old and a newborn we decided that the 15' x 12' cabin tent we had progressed to wasn't suitable for toddlers. We bought an '86 Jayco Poptop with a convertable double bed at the front and 3 bunks at the back. Bloody uncomfortable bed for us but the rest of the layout was perfect for a family. It had a full size annexe and the whole show took about an hour to set up.
This worked perfectly for a family of 5 for the next 15 years or so but now that our 3 kids are teenagers the confined space and bunks became impractical. We've still got the van but have reverted to our 15' x 12' cabin tent for most camps nowadays. We've also got a smaller 3 room igloo tent for shorter (3 night) camps.
Camper trailers seem like a good idea but they still suffer from having to pack up in wet weather. We get our large tent and the rest of the camp set up within about an hour while my brother in law is still tinkering with his campertrailer.
For convenience you can't go past a small van, poptop or full size. After a long days travel many was the time we would pull up, pop the roof and be in bed within 10 minutes.
We have multiple choices depending on the accessability of the area we're going to and the duration. From sleeping in the car, 2 man tents, small igloo tent which packs into the car, larger cabin tent with awnings etc which requires our 7' x 5' box trailer right up to the caravan. I don't think there is any one perfect solution for all situations. You either need to compromise or have multiple choices.
I personally much prefer the large cabin tent but it's only practical for longer stays because of the setup time.

scraps
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post  byronbinalong Mon May 30, 2011 4:31 pm

this all started 12mnths ago .... we used to tent it in all weathers and I thought we had no probs .... apparently I assumed wrongly, anyway I had to go to a van mob for a part for our camping bits, took the minister for war and finances affraid - I went in for the part and said minister decides to look around What a Face What a Face I walk out and "she" says - have a look here - jayco swan, mean while I had all but ordered a desert edge camper .... heh heh - GONE Sad so we left and talked (argued) for 6 mnths ... THEN we go to a mates property and meet some friends who have a 16ft jayco freedom - front kitchen blah blah blah Shocked low and behold the "minister" says I want one! Mad Mad so we start looking around and found one local, bit over priced, but original owner blah blah blah Very Happy Very Happy said lets buy it! .... too much ... so we keep looking and looking etc .... we go to the Maitland caravan and camping show - I buy a generator and other bits and pieces for when we FIND a van and then we look at ALL the vans etc - more than once - many laps around What a Face What a Face we find this one affraid and as soon a SHE walks inside says " OOH I LOVE IT" - walk around some more - go back 4 times etc - and I say "if YOU want it, you sign your name to it" affraid after some haggling etc .... WE COME AWAY NEW VAN OWNERS Very Happy Very Happy the rest my friends is HISTORY
byronbinalong
byronbinalong
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  C. Nyal de Kaye Tue May 31, 2011 8:39 am

If you keep putting temptation in her way Byronbinalong, what do you expect? Good story mate and a good lesson to learn, don't put your wife in the way of any temptation or it will cost you. You may now repent in leisure! The shock seems so great that you did not say what sort of Van it is.
C. Nyal de Kaye
C. Nyal de Kaye
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2009-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post  byronbinalong Tue May 31, 2011 5:11 pm

sorry ... Colorado (yankee name) Embarassed summit ... aircon - ensuite - 2 x 9kg gas bottles blah blah blah ... didnt want to bore everyone with details as if I was a new dad What a Face What a Face if ya want more pics I can ... C.Nyal ... she wouldnt commit to a used or new van and I was getting tired of trampsing around, and this was the first one that she said she liked immediately ... so "SHE" bought it ... I just gotta pay for it ... heh heh Very Happy Very Happy
byronbinalong
byronbinalong
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  C. Nyal de Kaye Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:09 am

byronbinalong wrote: ... so "SHE" bought it ... I just gotta pay for it ... heh heh Very Happy Very Happy

So what's new?
C. Nyal de Kaye
C. Nyal de Kaye
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2009-03-27

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next