Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

400 gold sovereigns found

+8
Billy
everhopeful
nero_design
MS
GoldstalkerGPX
Rwork
Goldbait
Jigalong
12 posters

Go down

400 gold sovereigns found Empty 400 gold sovereigns found

Post  Jigalong Wed May 18, 2011 6:53 pm

Police are trying to determine who has claims to a collection of historic gold coins uncovered on an Albany building site.

A worker digging a trench today unearthed 400 gold sovereigns dated 1800. Police believe the coins could be worth about $500,000.

The excavation company, Wauters Enterprises, handed the coins over to the owner of the property who has laid claim to the find.

But police will delve into law books to find out exactly who is entitled to the coins.

“We’re not sure if it’s quite that simple,” police spokesman Gerry Cassidy said.

“Once you buy that property do you own everything on it? We’re looking at precedents.

“It might even be that a museum issue crops up. Is there some state law that says historical finds need to end up in a museum?

“Police have got to work out exactly how they handle it.”
- West Australian - today

Jigalong
Jigalong
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1316
Registration date : 2008-11-14

Back to top Go down

400 gold sovereigns found Empty Re: 400 gold sovereigns found

Post  Goldbait Wed May 18, 2011 7:51 pm

I don't want to sound greedy, but if they were found on my land, i would expect they would belong to me.
Goldbait
Goldbait
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 805
Registration date : 2010-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Rwork Wed May 18, 2011 7:56 pm

A link to the story,have a look at the comments on the end of the story.
http://www.perthnow.com.au/worth-of-historic-gold-coins-dug-up-in-albany/story-fn6mh7kp-1226058297375

Rwork
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 285
Registration date : 2011-04-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 18, 2011 8:05 pm

That's why the worker will still be digging trench's! How to totally destroy a perfect situation? No I'm not a rouge or a rip of artist, not even close. seriously.
How in hells name could the original owner be found! I mean the original owner! NO 100 % WAY. It's nothing like a lost wallet! santa santa santa

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Wed May 18, 2011 8:45 pm

Last edited by GoldstalkerGPX on Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:11 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : pointless)
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  MS Wed May 18, 2011 8:53 pm

That's why so much of our historical buried items get lost and are never reported, we should have the same system they have over in England, Half to the finder and half to the land owner and the items are bought by the government to be recorded and displayed in museums, if not wanted by the gov ,are sold with the proceeds split between the finder and land owner.
In Aust the landholder only has the rights to the surface land use, the finder may be entitled to the find if the rightful owner does not come forward with proof of ownership, now in this case I'm sure there is likely going to be a legal fight between the land owner and finder and I'm sure the legal battle will go on till the money runs out.
The landholder can pursue the fact these workers were acting on his behalf and being paid to conduct the work which uncovered the find.

What would you do, if you found 400 sovereigns in that situation ,I would give the landholder the 200 hundred I found that way the lawyers get zip
cheers Mark
MS
MS
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 791
Registration date : 2009-03-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 18, 2011 9:58 pm

GPX

That rule only applies to "native gold" not minted gold or coin of the realm..

Pete in WA Cool

Back to top Go down

Post  nero_design Thu May 19, 2011 9:45 am

The coins would need to be handed in to the Police with a receipt being given for them. Then, if the prior ownership is not established (and it may well be since evidence of the previous home owner's estate would presumably exist), the new owner could collect and keep the coins after 90 days.

There's a slim chance the new owner of the property will get to keep the coins since they would legally belong to the family of the original property owner (if he himself is deceased). The Crown has no case either because the coins were currency and the miners who dug the raw gold have long since been paid for their gold prior to the minting of the coin. If it were nuggets that were found, then the government might have a better chance to claim it. If any robberies can account for the coins, they would be seized by the government as the proceeds of a crime. It was probably an old-timer who buried it around the time of the First World War when people had less trust in banks and preferred to bury their family fortune in the form of Gold Sovereigns.

No doubt the new "finder" is losing some sleep over it.

nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2081
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu May 19, 2011 11:31 am

It gets back to the post a few months ago about Treasure trove under the British system ,to which we are still bound, if the coins were of Historical value the land owner would need to deal with the Government on a settlement ect.ect. I doubt if this will be an easy one to settle Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu May 19, 2011 3:44 pm

I am pretty sure that In australia, if you find a valuable cache of notes or coins that was hidden away with the intent to recover them at some later date then the money is deemed to be treasure trove.

The finder then must legally turn the find over to the police who will issue a receipt for the items and hold them for 90 days and if nobody places a legal proof of ownership on said items then they are returned to the finder.

if you find a vauable cache of coins or other valuable items that sort of got lost accidently or otherwise that were dropped inadvertantly somewhere then you should also turn the items in to the police for the 90 day period after which if no legit claim has been made then the items will be returned to the finder. Single coins that cannot be traced to a particular owner belong to the finder.

Because these coins are gold sovereigns then there will of course a great many grubby clamering hands trying to lay claim to them.

As far as I know the land owner of the land where the treasure trove was found has no claim over the items unless he can prove ownership of the coins in some way such as he is the present owner and that the coins were buried by his grandfather when he owned the land and that the location of the coins became lost after his grandfather died, or in other words, they new the money was there but didn't know where and were hoping one day to find it..... or something Suspect

Last edited by Adrian SS on Thu May 19, 2011 4:07 pm; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post  everhopeful Thu May 19, 2011 3:50 pm

Right on the button adrian

everhopeful
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2010-05-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu May 19, 2011 4:09 pm

So all you guys who find rings and personal items should "make some effort to find the owner of that item" so off to the cop shop and declare it! Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu May 19, 2011 9:15 pm

Like I said its not a wallet with ID and its not a nice shiny engagement or wedding ring that is obviously a resent lose,
On those finds you should do your best to find the grieving owners.
Australia was forged by the efforts of gold diggers and convicts! Take these people out of the equation, I doubt we would be here!
Where Aussies for heaven's sake, and you guys are losing it to the modern day crap we are told to live by!
Harden up and stop conforming to something that is a load of #@#@, dictated by Pencil pushers... Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy Thu May 19, 2011 9:39 pm

someday wrote:Like I said its not a wallet with ID and its not a nice shiny engagement or wedding ring that is obviously a resent lose,
On those finds you should do your best to find the grieving owners.
Australia was forged by the efforts of gold diggers and convicts! Take these people out of the equation, I doubt we would be here!
Where Aussies for heaven's sake, and you guys are losing it to the modern day crap we are told to live by!
Harden up and stop conforming to something that is a load of #@#@, dictated by Pencil pushers... Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

And the TV, don't forget the media Sleep Sleep
Billy
Billy
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2011-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu May 19, 2011 9:51 pm

Sorry Billy but to me there all the same arse wipes, with a pay packet that lets them pursue similar hobby's in a different country without the restrictions!
End of story! queen queen

Chris. Question Question

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy Thu May 19, 2011 10:02 pm

Yeah am agreeing with you someday, no need to apologise mate.
Reckon most on this forum are proud to either live in, visit or be an Aussie, and more than likely to try and return an item of lost property to its righful owner if at all possible. I know I would, but to what extent um not sure confused
Billy
Billy
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2011-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post  thelion Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:31 pm

Whilst there is some arguement as to who may actually own such a trove, there is one thing that can happen if one doesnt turn it over to the Police, One can be charged with the crime of "theft by finding". I have seen such charges in the magistrates court in the Northern Territory! remember the cash in the barrel finds in Victoria a number of years back, they were handed over to the Police and the courts ended up awarding the cash to the finders!

thelion
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2013-02-25

Back to top Go down

400 gold sovereigns found Empty the law ??

Post  mark garrett Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:26 pm

by law anything we find of monetry value we have to hand into the police I was told by the police .I was also told that
if you find money on the ground it is theft by finding . The police wait the time and if no one claims it you can keep it.
When we metal detect on the beaches and find coins , someone lost that money . we do not own it ??
The same as if you found a good watch at a park some people would hand it in because we feel sorry for the person that lost it .They worked hard to pay for that item
but why dont we do this with money when we find it because they worked just as hard to earn it . Like that watch

something like that anyway correct me if Im wrong
mark garrett
mark garrett
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2012-11-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Digginerup Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:02 pm

I don't know how it works in other states but I recently had it clarified at a club meeting, in Qld police eyes basically anything you find that was likely to be the property of another person and as such is lost goods, all lost goods must be surrendered to the Qld police for a period of time, don't recall how long:scratch: , anyway basicaly anything you take that is not yours is stealing by finding so give it up and make a claim for it later....ther'es the law and now as usual with all other things, we as individuals must self determine how we feel about that.......Wink 

Wayne.cheers
Digginerup
Digginerup
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2399
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnieL Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:55 pm

QLD - Property Offences see - http://www.aussielegal.com.au/informationoutline~nocache~1~SubTopicDetailsID~820.htm

Cheers Annie
AnnieL
AnnieL
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1084
Registration date : 2012-05-07

Back to top Go down