Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aldi's Metal Detector

+6
badbarstard
Pennyweight
forester01
nugget_hunter69
echidnadigger
SootyOwl
10 posters

Go down

Aldi's Metal Detector Empty Aldi's Metal Detector

Post  SootyOwl Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:34 pm

Interesting - but stupid, now there will be thousands of the buggers on the beaches - bast....

http://aldi.com.au/au/html/offers/2827_7452.htm

Your thoughts!!

Cheers
Phil

SootyOwl
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2009-01-28

Back to top Go down

Aldi's Metal Detector Empty Re: Aldi's Metal Detector

Post  Guest Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:48 pm

good for the kids...looks like my first ever detector.

Check thier 45l 3way fridge for $299....probably crap but might be worth a closer eyeball

Back to top Go down

Post  echidnadigger Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:15 pm

I guess someone has to start somewhere. For those that buy the cheapies its a quick learning curve after trying them. They either give the whole game away very fast or they upgrade to bigger and better things.
Bring it on Aldi, your helping the prospecting shops and community. As for the Aldi product, all I can say is good luck to the user but gold isn't that easy to find. If you love the feeling of the chance of finding gold or treasure then upgrade fast.
Brett.
echidnadigger
echidnadigger
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 340
Registration date : 2008-10-21

Back to top Go down

Post  nugget_hunter69 Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:02 pm

I got one of these in the shed, 1st detector I owned and found a sterling silver signant ring and a 1 cent piece on the first day useing it across the road on a vacant block . Then upgraded to Garret AB2 now own a minelab all within 12 months. So now the kids have scored a detector, cheap-nasty-but works.
Every one has to start from somewhere just like buying a 1st car.

Ed.

nugget_hunter69
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2008-10-24

Back to top Go down

Aldi's Metal Detector Empty Continuation of Discussion on Aldi Detectors

Post  forester01 Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:30 pm

[quote="SootyOwl"]Interesting - but stupid, now there will be thousands of the buggers on the beaches - bast....

G'day Sooty,
mate I just have to ask what was 'stupid' about the posting or the subject matter. If there are thousands on the beaches, well why not? We have some of the most uninhabited beaches in the world - perhaps a little less attractive since the noahs began to take yet another interest in the taste of human flesh (or 'long pig' as the original Hawaiians termed us 'white fellas'). If the newbies want to have a go - best of bloody luck to 'em in my opinion.

I began detecting about '84 with a Dick Smith special which gave me good service (as long as I was in the scrap metal business, which I wasn't). Unfortunately no-one told me I couldn't submerge the coil in a pool of water (we still had pools of goldfields water in those days) which resulted in a non functioning U/S detector. I progressed onto a Garrett and the rest of the story is history as they say. But the fact is that the el cheapo certainly worked on surface metals and metals up to two or three inches beneath the surface. So no way should we be contemptuous of detectors of less than Minelab standards.

The blokes sweeping the beaches with some determination (and little visible technique for us goldfield 'purists') will probably pick up more than we do in terms of filthy lucre using el cheapo machines, than the majority of us on the goldfields in the same time periods. Sobering thought? Yes, but probably true.

Mike Wellington
forester01
forester01
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2008-11-13

Back to top Go down

Aldi's Metal Detector Empty Aldi's Detector

Post  SootyOwl Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:37 pm

Gooday Forester Mike

Probably a bad choice of words by me - however, in saying that you have got me thinking. I myself am peaved with CHEAP versions of anything - one of these cheaper versions was purchased by the Mrs about 14 years ago - frustration, annoyance and a feeling of being ripped off - as I could not get the thing to work and there were basically no instructions. It was then discarded with the CHEAP toys and bits of electronic equipment that is built to last the term of its warranty and not meant to be repaired - just replaced. This caused me to ignore and even think that this metal detecting must be a load of crap - this is where it hurts - I could have been finding gold 14 years ago it I had a better first experience. These days there a places like this can help and you can educate yourself and thus learn how to get results from even the most basic detector! It would be a small numer of people who were like yourself and persisted and thus a large number of people who walked away from a great hobby.

I rediscovered prospecting through a newspaper article that mentioned a couple of blokes made a fortune in the triangle by using detectors - so I jumped on the internet and began searching and found not only a wealth of inormation, but, that detectors had come a LOOOONNNGGGG way since my aforementioned experience. However, I still took 2-3 months of research and convincing that it was worth haveing a play, so I invested in an X-terra 70 after much deliberation and trepidation. I purchased this detector because of it's ability to multi-task (both treasure and gold) as I live near the beaches of Newcastle and travel through the major golding regions of NSW when I visit the in-laws at Cowra.

My annoyance at cheap products is widespread and annoys the crap out my wife - she just reckons I like to buy the dear things and look good - if I have learnt anything from years of wasting money (lol) tis better to waste it once - not three times, cause the cheaper ones usually add up to be more expensive than the dearer ONE item - false economy. Sometimes this phylosophy bites me on the rse.

Well sorry about that - bad choice of words originally and then you prompted me to jump on my soap-box.

Cheers
Phil

SootyOwl
Contributor
Contributor

Registration date : 2009-01-28

Back to top Go down

Aldi's Metal Detector Empty Aldi detector

Post  Pennyweight Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:29 am

Hi all,
this piece of crap is a GC21 copy of a Micronta 301 which was a Tandy model. The 301 was crap and with GC21 building this copy, it will be even worse! GC21 is easily the worst detector 'maker' in China. Save yourself $80 and leave it alone! Wink Cheers, Dwt
Pennyweight
Pennyweight
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  badbarstard Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:24 pm

these detectors need to be warmed up before use, approx 5 mins.Then you can adjust them.will go 20cm deep on coins if adjusted right in clean sand.don't swing to hard or you'll snap the handle off and wreak the detector.

badbarstard
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-07-08

Back to top Go down

Post  nero_design Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:08 pm

Pennyweight wrote:Hi all,
this piece of crap is a GC21 copy of a Micronta 301 which was a Tandy model. The 301 was crap and with GC21 building this copy, it will be even worse! GC21 is easily the worst detector 'maker' in China. Save yourself $80 and leave it alone! Wink Cheers, Dwt

Absolutely SPOT-On, Pennyweight.

People keep bringing this very detector into the dealerships and stores and asking the staff to help them figure it out. There's been a lot about lately and it's often a waste of time for the sales staff to be tinkering about with what can only be described and an unnecessarily complicated piece of JUNK. They might serve a purpose aimed at the young, budding detectorist in the family but far too many adults are purchasing these things and expect to be able to use them effectively in the goldfields.

No doubt they'll sell plenty with the price of gold where it is at the present.
nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2081
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Back to top Go down

Aldi's Metal Detector Empty kids fith cheep metal detectors

Post  buzzbuzzjanko Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:04 am

Hi everyone. Would you people rather see kids running around with toy guns and making noise BANG! Bang! you dead. I think it is called Cowboys and Indian game. cheers

buzzbuzzjanko
Contributor
Contributor

Registration date : 2012-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Digginerup Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:10 am

Sounds ok to me.......bang!!!bang!!!...your dead!! Razz Razz lol! ....now to recover the bullet....wheres my aldi detector?

Wayne. cheers
Digginerup
Digginerup
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2399
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Back to top Go down

Aldi's Metal Detector Empty post topic

Post  cranky Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:16 pm

buzzbuzzjanko,

Would rather see kids running about shouting "Bang" "Bang' with toy guns, than sitting on their backsides with TV or Computer Games. Cool Cool

They will get great exercise of the body and grey matter, become fitter and smarter at the same time, maybe smart enough to not spend their pocket money on dodgy 'tectors that find scrap metal. (or top of the line jobs that find scrap metal too) Wink Smile Smile

Since I discovered Aldi and started shopping there I have become very choosy about what I let them sell me. Razz Cool

Cheers cheers cheers
cranky
cranky
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2010-07-13

Back to top Go down