Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Melville caves camping ground

4 posters

Go down

Melville caves camping ground Empty Melville caves camping ground

Post  hotrock Fri May 06, 2011 7:28 pm

Anyone been camping at Melville caves in the Kooyoora state park near Kingower? is it a good place to camp? seems like a good location near plenty of goldfields.

hotrock
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2011-04-28

Back to top Go down

Melville caves camping ground Empty Re: Melville caves camping ground

Post  Guest Fri May 06, 2011 7:56 pm

there is some ground owned by a bikie gang not far from there and they party out there a fair bit,

i have heard them having a party but never ran into them,

it may be a case of if you left them alone then they will leave you alone? not sure

cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  Big Ozzie Man Mon May 09, 2011 7:55 pm

We took a drive thru there in 2008 while in the area. Didn't really tickle my fancy, and being a state park in Vic, I dont think you are allowed to detect there? You'd probably do better camping at the campsite at the back of the Wedderburn township (forget the name of it, but we did stay there). Or just camp on the diggings as we mostly do when in Vic. then ya can get out for a swing at nite quite easily. cheers

BOM
Big Ozzie Man
Big Ozzie Man
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2009-06-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Out4Fun Tue May 10, 2011 12:33 am

Hi Hotrock,

I have been there a few times. The campground has got two toilets, a water tank and is almost on top of the hill. It seems to be quite popular at times, as it is at the end of a bitumen stretch. Hence all sorts of vehicles and visitors come up there, mostly just for a look at the caves and some hiking. One Saturday night when we were there a few kids in utes came up and made a bit of noise - revving the cars and screaming to scare the campers. I also heard of one of our club members who set up camp and left during the day for some detecting, upon his return he found all his gear stolen. The ranger seem to patrol the area regularly to keep things in order, but they can't be everywhere all the time.

Though there is no detecting near the campground, some good detecting areas are in reasonable short driving distance.

To cut it short, if you like to have a chance of human company and toilets close by as well as the convenience of flat easy accessible ground for a quick overnighter the place is ideal. Otherwise I personally prefer to stay somewhere in the bush hidden away from potential opportunistic troublemakers. The whole area offers a lot of good places especially south of the main road for good camping.

Cheers

Out4Fun
Out4Fun
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2009-01-27

Back to top Go down

Post  hotrock Tue May 10, 2011 9:19 am

Thanks , l'm used to camping in the grampians, everone is friendly there and never had any trouble with thieves and hoons there , maybe becasue you have to pay fees to camp there it keeps away the idiots. Sounds like Melville caves is not as good, maqybe becasue its a free campsite it could get more hoons and drunks, yes l think l'm better off camping in the bush. Anyone suggest a good area, maybe south in the kooyoora state park or the crown land forest nearby?

hotrock
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2011-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Out4Fun Tue May 10, 2011 4:24 pm

Hi Hotrock,

I didn't try to put you off Melville Caves altogether, it is still a place which is frequently used by a lot of people - individuals and groups. However, if you look around and go for a drive, approx 3-4k's southeast of Kingower is a dam and next to it is a free area. This area provides fixed bbq's and from memory also a bench and seats. From what I remember, it is also not far from the Hand Of Faith Monument.

'have look around you might even see good ground worth swinging the detector.

Cheers

Out4Fun
Out4Fun
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2009-01-27

Back to top Go down

Melville caves camping ground Empty Camping at Melville caves

Post  diggingdeeper Wed May 11, 2011 5:57 pm

Hi I live about 15 minutes down the road from the caves and have beeen up there a couple of times with the family, I havn't camped up there but some friends have and said it was a very nice spot (weather permiting) and there is a toilet block there as well.

I also happen to know some of the bikers and they are fine, just like anyone else if you are friendly to them they will do the same in return. Very Happy

Never detected up there but there is surely alot of diggings around the area. Shocked

diggingdeeper
diggingdeeper
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2011-03-16

Back to top Go down