Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Minelab X-Terra series: 305, 505 & 705

4 posters

Go down

Minelab X-Terra series: 305, 505 & 705 Empty Minelab X-Terra series: 305, 505 & 705

Post  asi102 Tue May 03, 2011 10:26 am

Hi,

There are Minelab X-Terra metal detectors on the market in three versions: 305, 505 and 705. As far as I've asked around, it seems that 305 and 505 won't do the job on detecting gold like the 705 model. Is there anyone out there using any of these models and, if I may ask, what is your experience with it? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Kind regards,
asi102

asi102
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2011-05-02

Back to top Go down

Minelab X-Terra series: 305, 505 & 705 Empty Re: Minelab X-Terra series: 305, 505 & 705

Post  TheH0ward Tue May 03, 2011 11:17 am

gday
i have the 705. Air testing on a nugget and the 705 absolutely screams. But detecting something as small as birdshot in hot noisy ground of the Golden Triangle took a long time to identify between ground noise and target. It has literally taken me over 12 months to know the difference because the 705 is very chatty on mineralized ground. But also ive learnt some tricks to making it quiet, fast. Takes a bit of learning despite what people may say. Its all about what you hear and understanding it.
If ML made an upgraded model in the future, id upgrade.... i love it as a coin/relic machine and i know while it doesnt have the depth advantage/stability of PI machines, i do believe it will find gold. I just havent walked over any yet.
i love my 705

cheers
TheH0ward
TheH0ward
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 842
Registration date : 2010-08-05

Back to top Go down

Minelab X-Terra series: 305, 505 & 705 Empty Re: Minelab X-Terra series: 305, 505 & 705

Post  Guest Mon May 23, 2011 5:50 pm

I know someone with the 305 who can only detect metal within an inch or two of the surface, mostly rustly nails but a few coins as well. His discriminator was handy when we went out with my GPX-4000. He told me accurately that he had no signal using his discriminator whenever we dug deep iron targets. So they have a use, but maybe not to find gold unless it is a huge chunk right on the surface. He seems to only want that kind of gold anyway... Razz

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:06 pm

Have a friend who recently bought a 705, he couldn't get his head around the settings so asked for my help, sorted his issues out pretty swiftly< But the discriminator doesn't really work that well, out in his paddock he hit on a target that tried to tell him it was without a doubt a non ferrous target, after digging and digging to a depth of 1 inch, it turned out to be a clean metal washer, must have been there for at least a month? Once the washer was sitting back on the surface the 705 decided to change its mind by showing it to be totally ferrous?? This guy will dig any target that the detector signals as a good object, You should see his garden and surrounds, dirt patch's everywhere! Very Happy Smile Sad

Back to top Go down

Post  TheH0ward Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:25 pm

someday, i must admit my 705 had a good workout in the backyard too! Was real handy when i lost a tiny screw in the grass. Also found out a fisherman used to live here (many sinkers found). Who said you have to go to the bush to find a heap of lead? lol tongue
TheH0ward
TheH0ward
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 842
Registration date : 2010-08-05

Back to top Go down

Post  panhead Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:03 pm

It has literally taken me over 12 months to know the difference because the 705 is very chatty on mineralized ground. But also ive learnt some tricks to making it quiet, fast.

TheHOward. I have taken my 705 out to the Maryborough area 4 times now. Still trying to find some gold with it. It frustrates me because it is very noisy (chatty ?) in this area. I know, mineralization and all that. But, despite lots of fiddling, I haven't been able to quieten it down much. Would you care to share these tricks you have learnt to make it run quieter. I know it's a bit cheeky, putting you on the spot. But if I don't ask, I'll never know. The worst that can happen is you say NO.
Regards, panhead.
panhead
panhead
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2011-01-18

Back to top Go down

Minelab X-Terra series: 305, 505 & 705 Empty 305

Post  newhobby Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:01 pm

on the advice of the good people at miners den I brought a 305 last week on the basis of it being a good beach dectector...now I have got the hang of balancing it is proving
to be able to do what it claims....early in the season and my coin jar is starting to fill up !!!
mind you my lengthy history of dectecting is an entire two weeks o not much background to compare against !!!!
cheers

newhobby
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2011-09-13

Back to top Go down