Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trailer electric brakes

Go down

Trailer electric brakes Empty Trailer electric brakes

Post  Guest Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:42 pm

Having never had electric brakes on a trailer before am not sure if this is normal or not.
Took the new van for atow to setup the brake controller, only drove around the local area for about 30 mins. I did use the trailer brakes a fair bit even using it to slow the car down on a flat surface.
When i got back as i always do is checked the bearing hubs for heat, found the heat was very high.
Concerned i may have overtighten the wheel bearing i removed the dust cap and checked, all good.
So am now thinking it may have been that i just used them too much ??? while setting the controller up.
Has anyone got any experiance with electric brakes and do they run hot normally under constant use, i can say that the wheels spin completly free so its not that the brakes are binding or stuck on.
Regards
John

Back to top Go down

Trailer electric brakes Empty Re: Trailer electric brakes

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:39 pm

Last edited by GoldstalkerGPX on Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:11 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : pointless)
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:51 pm

Im no expert but I think you have the trailer brakes just come on a fraction before the car ones ?

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:21 pm

Last edited by GoldstalkerGPX on Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:11 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : pointless)
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:21 pm

Thks all, i suspect it was due to the setting of the brake controller and also being brand new shoes.
It is a single axle under the 1 tonne mark.
Guess ill just keep an eye on it over the Easter trip.
Regards
John
After reading this http://www.vehiclecomponents.com.au/PDF/CIS/CIS1%20Dexter%20Brakes.pdf
i suspect i was the reason why they overheated doh

Last edited by freshwater on Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:16 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : extra info i found)

Back to top Go down