Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

fixing a coil

3 posters

Go down

fixing a coil Empty fixing a coil

Post  reg Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:29 am

gooday everyone

well here is my problem,i stood on my mono coil connector ( the part that screws into the detector ) and flattened it so i cut the connector of a unused DD coil, but to my dismay there is 3 wires on a DD and 2 on a mono. anyhow i soldered the 2 wires on where i thought they would go but i am not game to try it out yet. does anyone know if i done it wrong would it stuff my detector as i would hate to see a cloud of smoke come out of it affraid bom .hoping someone may be able to enlighten me on the subject.

cheers...reg
reg
reg
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 226
Registration date : 2009-03-28

Back to top Go down

fixing a coil Empty Re: fixing a coil

Post  xenon Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:45 am

Hi Reg,
Go to this link. It will show you exactly what you require
http://www.invisionplus.net/forums/uploads2/a/4/tdi/post-3-1243561871.jpg

xenon
xenon
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2011-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post  reg Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:04 pm

very good handy bit of info there and well worth storing thank you.but alas i have already done the job and going by the diagram i might have it right if the DD fitting will work on the mono,all i got to do is find the guts to turn my detector on. affraid

cheers...reg
reg
reg
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:33 pm

G'day Reg

As you can see from the wiring diragram in xenon post the actual plug is the same, just wired different for mono and DD.

Follow it and you should have a coil that works again.

As you see in the diragram the mono coil has to send and receive on the same winding, so some of the pins are bridged together, as in 2,3 & 4 are all on one wire and 1 & 5 on the other. Just make sure by looking at your old squashed plug that you cut off that you have the same wire going to 1 & 5 and the other going to 2,3 & 4

Double D coils have 2 windings one to transmit and one to receive that is why they are wired a bit different to a mono coil.

Then be brave and switch it on affraid

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  reg Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:59 pm

yea thanks dave after another look i dont think it will work because i am using a DD plug even tho i have wires hooked up to 4& 5 right way the DD plug lookes like the wires are not bridged between 3 & 2 also between 5 & 1, thanks for bringing that to my notice.

cheers...reg
reg
reg
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:06 pm

G'day reg

Just solder a short piece of wire between the points 2 & 3 and then another piece between 1 & 5 and I reckon you will have it working. Very Happy

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  reg Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:17 pm

thanks dave for your help because its my fav coil set up with your 4000 settings she runs as quite as a church mouse. now me thinking i should buy the mono fitting if i can find where to buy it from anyone got any ideas, would much appreciated.

cheers...reg
reg
reg
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:41 pm

Dicksmith and Jaycar have 5 pin mic plugs for a few $ each, but you will have the same problem you need to bridge the correct pins.

Take it to your nearest detector shop and I reckon that they will have it fixed in no time.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  reg Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:06 pm

well dave my problem is there is no detector shop in rockhampton qld.when it comes to detecting its a slack hole.maybe if i could buy a buggered mono coil my prob could be solved i think it is a matter of a waiting game. as its an older coil a mini ufo 17in. but if i have to go for another coil so be it, i have a mono coiltex 14in elp but can not tame it very noisy as i think something loose inside ( bought of e-bay from a regular seller ).any way dave you have been very helpfull as usuall and i thank you.

cheers..reg
reg
reg
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:11 pm

Gday Reg

If you are worried about attempting to repair the connector yourself, why not just print off the wiring diagram above and then take it, your coil and the plug that you have to someone local that does repairs to radios and tv's etc.

They shouldnt have any issues with working out how to re connect it and add the bridging wire to the correct pins.

Better safe than sorry, trying to plug it into your detector with the wires incorrectly connected could result in it causing internal damage.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  Mechanic Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:12 pm

Hi Reg,

The diagram for the mono coil plug pinout is correct. With the plug you have taken from the DD coil, as Dave said you will have to bridge some of the pins together as per the diagram. Here is a picture of the back of a mono coil plug with the centre wire removed so you can see the links.
fixing a coil Monoplug
Make sure when you solder on the wires that they are nice and neat and don't poke out the sides. Wrap some electrical tape or apply heatshrink around the plug before you re-assemble it.

Thankfully minelab also use protection circuits so if something does go wrong with the wiring it will not fry your detector.
If you want a new plug, get them from Jaycar, http://jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=PS2018&keywords=5+pin+microphone&form=KEYWORD
If you don't feel comfortable doing this repair, as Strayer said, take it to a local tv repair shop or even a decent auto electrician should be able to do the job. Just give them the info provided in this thread.

Cheers Mick

Mechanic
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 695
Registration date : 2011-02-20

https://DetectronicsAustralia.com

Back to top Go down