Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Requesting permission to prospect on mining tenements

Go down

Requesting permission to prospect on mining tenements Empty Requesting permission to prospect on mining tenements

Post  Nebuchadnezzar Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:45 am

Has anyone written a letter to a mining company (WA) and been given permission to detect? How do I go about doing this and what information do I need to give them?

Opinion or advise anyone?
Nebuchadnezzar
Nebuchadnezzar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 205
Registration date : 2009-06-02

Back to top Go down

Requesting permission to prospect on mining tenements Empty Re: Requesting permission to prospect on mining tenements

Post  Guest Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:47 am

Hi Nebuchadnezzar

I am from SA and have tried contacting WA mining firms to get permission.
Last year I nearly called off my WA trip after getting brutal replies from some companies i.e. “under no circumstances will you be given permission to enter any tenement held by our company …..”

There is no rule that fits all; you may jag a sympathetic company or a hostile one.

From my experience you have to try and convince them that you are a responsible person e.g. respect the environment, won’t stray into areas not given permission etc.

The information I supplied in addition to the above was my WA Miners Right number, APLA membership number and details of a $20m public liability insurance policy I hold.

The other information necessary would be the Tenement numbers of the area you wish to enter. It’s no use just specifying a general area. Some areas will be no go zones due to mining activity or are subject to Aboriginal Heritage. Some of the sympathetic mining Companies will only give you access to up to six tenements in any one period.

I have been told to call into the “Barrick Office” near the mines department in Kalgoorlie as they are very helpful and give permission for an area around Kanowna, north of Kalgoorlie. Sorry but this is the only information I have re this area. I am going to try and look them up myself this year.

From what I am led to believe, it helps if you are a local or have local contacts that can get you a foot in the door with a mining company. Once you have built up a relationship with someone within the company it gets easier.

Good Luck
Scrat

Back to top Go down

Requesting permission to prospect on mining tenements Empty Re: Requesting permission to prospect on mining tenements

Post  Nebuchadnezzar Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:03 am

Thanks Scrat, thats are great help. A question regarding public liability, though. Doesn't this only cover you if you somehow manage to injure a third party, and not when you injure yourself while detecting?
Nebuchadnezzar
Nebuchadnezzar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:15 am

Nebuchadnezzar wrote:Thanks Scrat, thats are great help. A question regarding public liability, though. Doesn't this only cover you if you somehow manage to injure a third party, and not when you injure yourself while detecting?

hi
yes thats right.....public liability is when your actions cause damage/injury to someone else

for eg...if your camp fire gets away and cause's damage that stops the mine from working,when they sue you for loss of income and
damage to equipment you public liabilaty will cover it
cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:00 am

Hi Nebuchadnezzar

As fencejumper said, public liability insurance only covers damage and/or injury to a third party.

Most tenement holders will require you to have this insurance and at the same time indemnify them against any claim made for actions caused by yourself.

The following is what I have been advised to send to the tenement holder along with proof of public liability insurance.
I will completely indemnify (name of Tenement Holder) against any claim for damages and or injuries to myself and or other parties which are a result of my actions.
I acknowledge that access to your tenements is granted on the understanding that it is at my own risk and that I will be responsible for any injury, or property damage, to myself and/or other parties, which is caused by my negligence.

I don’t know if my wording is legally correct or if it is a bit over the top? Maybe other members can comment.

Regards
Scrat

Back to top Go down

Post  Nebuchadnezzar Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:08 am

Thanks guys cheers
Nebuchadnezzar
Nebuchadnezzar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:58 am

Hi Neb

just go to this link and d/load the pdf permission to detect form..

http://www.gold-prospecting-wa.com/metal-detecting-permission-letter.html

Pete in WA Cool

Back to top Go down