Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ROOF RACKS

Go down

ROOF RACKS Empty ROOF RACKS

Post  skysite Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:01 pm

hey guys
I have a hilux 4 door ute and am buying a roof top camper has anyone got any advise on the best roof racks to buy to support this.....thanks in advanced
Dave
skysite
skysite
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 223
Registration date : 2011-01-04

Back to top Go down

ROOF RACKS Empty Re: ROOF RACKS

Post  Guest Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:06 pm

Thule roof racks are good ones.Better with a bit of bar work on your tray, the hilux's are known for fatigue cracks(no roof gutters).Hope this helps.

Back to top Go down

Post  skysite Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:35 pm

Cheers prospekta
I have an 07/08 model so do Get the racks to go in the gutter or the ones that don't ??????
skysite
skysite
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:02 am

skysite what loading are you putting up there? Ive seen a lot of fatigue cracks at roof top level because a lot of weight was concentrated on those 4 points !! Now when I had a patrol I welded a continuous bar that sat in the roof gutter and dissipated the weight on the roof over a bigger area ,did it work hhhhmmmm i still got a crack at one of the door pillars but I really cant say it was the roof rack that caused that as the were prone to cracking there anyway!! thread your own path!!! lol!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:52 pm

Skysite, 07/08 Hilux look at factory Toyota roof racks. There is not much strength in the turret along the gutters. You wouldn't want to put more than about 75kg on the roof. Best bet would be looking at something like builders racks and mounting your camper over the rear. That is unless you have a canopy then internal bars are around for this purpose.

Murachu , nar mate them Patrols just cracked driving them lol!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:27 pm

prospekta wrote:Skysite, 07/08 Hilux look at factory Toyota roof racks. There is not much strength in the turret along the gutters. You wouldn't want to put more than about 75kg on the roof. Best bet would be looking at something like builders racks and mounting your camper over the rear. That is unless you have a canopy then internal bars are around for this purpose.

hardie har har!! lol! lol!

Back to top Go down

Post  skysite Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:37 pm

prospekta wrote:Skysite, 07/08 Hilux look at factory Toyota roof racks. There is not much strength in the turret along the gutters. You wouldn't want to put more than about 75kg on the roof. Best bet would be looking at something like builders racks and mounting your camper over the rear. That is unless you have a canopy then internal bars are around for this purpose.

had a feeling that would be better over the back ill just make my own im a fencer so have pipe benders and good supply of pipe...
cheers guys
skysite
skysite
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:33 am

Gday

I have found ali racks to be better than steel ones, they are a bit lighter and you are able to carry a bit more gear on them than on the steel ones and not exceed the load limit, but one draw back is unless you have the gear to weld ali its a bit harder to make additions and watever you want to add on will have to be screwed or rivetted to it.

Also unless the steel one is a factory made and if not properly powercoated you will eventually get some rust and you will be forever touching it up to keep it tidy, if you are going to build one its better to use galvinised pipe/tube but the upside is that you can make it the way you want it and design it to suit if you want to put a solar panel or water tank, toolbox, on it or whatever.

Good fun project anyway.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down