Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

cooking in the bush for hungry and weary prospectors.

+11
Billy
Jigalong
TheH0ward
geof_junk
granite2
the speciman
kevlorraine2
Kon61gold
Narrawa
skysite
evan2010
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

cooking in the bush for hungry and weary prospectors. - Page 2 Empty Re: cooking in the bush for hungry and weary prospectors.

Post  TheH0ward Tue May 03, 2011 3:26 pm

pale
TheH0ward
TheH0ward
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 842
Registration date : 2010-08-05

Back to top Go down

cooking in the bush for hungry and weary prospectors. - Page 2 Empty Re: cooking in the bush for hungry and weary prospectors.

Post  Guest Tue May 03, 2011 3:28 pm

You are right about the foil Jim. You shouldn't find too much more though. I reckon I have got most of it by now.
Panther

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy Tue May 03, 2011 8:14 pm

Making me hungry all this talk about tucker.
I enjoy anything cooked in this..
cooking in the bush for hungry and weary prospectors. - Page 2 Editedforgoldforum1-1

These tasty treats would have to be top of the list IMHO for simple, fun to obtain and delicious bush tucker..
The humble yabby!
cooking in the bush for hungry and weary prospectors. - Page 2 Editedforgoldforum1
Mmmmm Yabbies cheers
Billy
Billy
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2011-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Tue May 03, 2011 8:58 pm

When were we going camping Billy? lol!

GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy Tue May 03, 2011 10:08 pm

GoldstalkerGPX, If I didn't rely on my job to pay for going camping on weekends / holidays etc, I would say where and I will meet you there. An hour or so is all it would take to be ready for a week or several out bush cheers

Billy
Billy
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2011-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 04, 2011 8:25 am

TO ROAST BEEF.

Roast beef is not baked beef. It is beef that is roasted before the fire, and the flavour is quite different from that of baked meat. In the bush most kitchens have a
large open fireplace, sometimes only a camp oven, but the fireplace is generally fitted up with a large open colonial oven. You can roast beef splendidly before one of these large open fireplaces with wood as fuel. A twisted piece of worsted suspended from the mantelpiece, and a hook, will answer the purpose of a " Jack," as the meat must turn round slowly, so that all sides are cooked alike. Have a tin-lined packing case standing before the joint to keep the cool air away and to concentrate the heat ; place a large deep pan underneath, to catch the fat and gravy ; baste the joint continually. Allow a quarter of an hour to each pound. To make the gravy, raise the dripping-pan carefully, pour off all the fat, shake a little brown flour in the pan, place over the fire for a few seconds, then add salt, pepper, and a cup of water ; place over the fire, stir well until a nice light brown colour. Place the joint in a big well-dish, pour the gravy over it through a strainer, decorate with scraped horseradish, and send to the table hot. Horseradish Sauce to Serve with Roast Beef. If horseradish does not grow in your garden, the scraped bottled horseradish is to be bought at most stores. Take two tablespoonfuls of grated horseradish, mix with one teaspoonful of salt, one of mustard, four table spoons full of cream ; gradually drop into this, stirring all the time, one tablespoonful of strong vinegar (white looks best). If this sauce is to be eaten with hot meat, it must be warmed, but do not heat it in a saucepan. Place the sauce in a jug, and the jug in a saucepan of water, which you can gradually bring to nearly boiling point, stirring the sauce now and then. Serve the sauce in a small sauce boat with a ladle.
The Queenslander
December 1897
http://newspapers.nla.gov.au/

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Fri May 06, 2011 9:08 am

Bush Tucker.
Roast Chicken & vegies

1. Two large aluminium trays.

2. Dig a hole and light fire to get good supply of hot, glowing coals. ****Caution**** Cover hole, or extinguish fire when finished so no one steps into it in the dark, because coals will remain hot for over 24 hours.

3. Place chicken in foil tray, pour oil (preferably “olive”) over chicken. Peel a whole onion and cut in half and place either side of chicken… Insert a clove of garlic inside chicken.. (Not essential)

4. Cover tray with several layers of alfoil.

5. Place tray on bare ground, shovel ash around tray up too the foil cover height.. Now shovel hot glowing coals onto the tray ensuring the lid is completely covered. Check the time!!!!

6. Prepare vegies, place in plastic bag and dust with cornflour. Place in second tray with olive oil and cover with foil.

7. Open tin of peas/ beans or what ever ready for heating.

8. Mix up a packet of Chicken gravy and water and place on side of cooking fire grate to simmer.

9. When the chicken has been cooking for one hour, place veg tray next to it... Once again repeat step 5.

10. Note the time and now heat the greens and prepare the gravy.

11. 40 minutes after recovering with coals remove chicken and vegies.
12. Total cooking time 1 hour 40 minutes for a family size chicken.

Enjoy, it is delicious.
Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

Back to top Go down

Post  piston broke Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:58 pm

Yummy simple Damper, Ingredients 2 cups SR flour , 2 dessert spoons grated Parmesan , 2 tea spoons mixed herbs, 2 dessert spoons butter , milk to mix. Method Add melted butter to Flour, Parmesan and Herbs and mix together adding milk to form a dough. Cook in camp oven for about 30 mins. Eat warm with a little butter. Great with a beer. cheers Pete.
piston broke
piston broke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1633
Registration date : 2011-05-07

Back to top Go down

cooking in the bush for hungry and weary prospectors. - Page 2 Empty cooking in the bush for hungry and weary prospectors.

Post  Greenwell2 Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:59 pm

Howdy all,
long time ago when we were on a family camping trip and funds were short the chops we had left the day before pay day were a little tired. They werent off but they werent far off it. In sheer desperation I cooked them in some orange and lemon cordial( the mix up kind) and served with vegies. . I made a sauce and cooked them in it in a deep pan. The kids not only loved them they even lived to tell the tale :0
Roger
Greenwell2
Greenwell2
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2011-11-25

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum