Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hill end, angry man on the turon river

+15
phill
kiwijw
rowdy
gollstar
Nature_Pete
shelby23
Fly_Dirt
Narrawa
detecta2
Inhere
Tributer
GoldstalkerGPX
skysite
nero_design
goldminer997
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Hill end, angry man on the turon river Empty Hill end, angry man on the turon river

Post  goldminer997 Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:02 am

Hi all
we just got back from a trip up on the turon river detecting and sluicing when a man came down and told us to stop digging. and that we will lose are gear and cop a fine of $5000 BECAUSE YOU CAN NO LONGER USE PETROL PUMPS TO PUMP WATER OUT OF THE RIVER. after couple of f and u be said and photos taken of us he left. as far as i.am aware you can still use pumps to move water is that true
thanks sean
goldminer997
goldminer997
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2010-08-25

http://www.coasttocoastprospectingtours.com

Back to top Go down

Hill end, angry man on the turon river Empty Re: Hill end, angry man on the turon river

Post  nero_design Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:24 am

Sounds like your irate visitor was bluffing as best as he could. I've posted a copy of legislation here once that clearly shows an allowance for motorised sluices. Councils are required to support this legislation. I believe the reason this guy was angry was because you were possibly working in one of his favourite spots. Note also that there was another, milder, altercation at Hill End (between Golden Gully and the Tambaroora based 'fossicking area No. 6' ?- ) last weekend when the local Gold Panning tutor showed up at his favourite kink in the river/creek, only to be faced with a bunch of prospectors from the local Prospecting Club dilligently working the spot right down to bedrock "hammer and tongs" (their quote). I believe he also muttered something about "...not supposed to have the sluices in the water - as they're causing turbidity..." along with some muttered curses etc. Admittedly, the altercation was a little less threatening than yours and he's probably right about the sluices being in the water when they should have been up on the banks. It might not have helped that he was essentially ignored by the diggers who retrieved some good gold that day due to the recent rains and natural gold trap in that spot. It might have been even more interesting if the panner hadn't turned up with paying students in tow. Confrontation a couple of months ago on Crown Land involving a locked gate, a set of detecting novices, some GPXs and a direct threat from a guy on a bike with a rifle fairly recently. Show courtesy and if the heat of the situation seems too much to bear, move on to more neutral surroundings. Too many people getting hot under the collar when it comes to what they mistakenly perceive as being "their gold". There's also two locals that now don concealed weapons due to fence jumpers on their claims very close to where the creek incident took place last weekend... so be sensible.
nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Back to top Go down

Hill end, angry man on the turon river Empty Re: Hill end, angry man on the turon river

Post  Guest Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:51 am

goldminer997 gold brings the funny people out, as nero has said just stay cool and and be sensible.
if it comes down to it move on to another spot.
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:06 am

goldminer997 wrote:Hi all
we just got back from a trip up on the turon river detecting and sluicing when a man came down and told us to stop digging. and that we will lose are gear and cop a fine of $5000 BECAUSE YOU CAN NO LONGER USE PETROL PUMPS TO PUMP WATER OUT OF THE RIVER. after couple of f and u be said and photos taken of us he left. as far as i.am aware you can still use pumps to move water is that true
thanks sean
Lots of misinformed people around these days, it could have he thought you were dredging, did you ask him why he thought you can not use a pump.
If it happens again take his rego number down if possiable and inform the Hill End police about what happened.
Pumps can be used for sluices but not to wash out banks or move material (ie hydrolic sliucing) you were not doing that now were U ??.

Regards

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:38 am

yep, just dot your I's and cross your T's and it shouldn't be a problem. The Rangers out that way are all friendly and great to chat to as is the local bobby.
As pointed out, one thing is to make sure the water coming out your sluice filters back over ground and not dirrectly into the stream and nobody can really argue.

Must be my Greek God good looks, Very Happy in 30+ years of going to HE I've never had a run in with a local

Back to top Go down

Post  skysite Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:51 pm

hey sean
was up there the other week had no problems you may have been in his spot...LOL
wouldnt worry mate like tunna said watch thats its not going straight back in the river and you should be right...
we may have to dig a bigger hole next trip just in case......LOL
Dave
skysite
skysite
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 223
Registration date : 2011-01-04

Back to top Go down

Hill end, angry man on the turon river Empty Hill end, angry man on the turon river

Post  goldminer997 Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:26 pm

Hi skysite
Thanks dave the hole was deep and about 65m away from the river theres no way the water would be dirty going back down, the man was just a a,hole and maybe it was he.s spot but no signs or pegs to say keep away. would not talk to us or have a beer but anyway had a good time and did see a group from gecko gold detecting out that way, did find a lot of small bits we all had fun and the weather was three season in a day rain hail and sun
goldminer997
goldminer997
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:30 pm

Yerp ones about 6ftx2ftx3ft i recon.
But im a bit wry about this
There's also two locals that now don concealed weapons
All i pictured was a noise of a zipper being undone,some deliverance music in the back grd and a large jar of grease and the words squeal like a pig boy Neutral Crying or Very sad .
But maybe im imaging things again scratch
Regards
John

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:37 pm

Last edited by GoldstalkerGPX on Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:25 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : pointless)
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  skysite Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:43 pm

freshwater wrote:
All i pictured was a noise of a zipper being undone,some deliverance music in the back grd and a large jar of grease and the words squeal like a pig boy Neutral Crying or Very sad .
Regards
John

All the inbreeds running down the hill LOL john im bringing a banjo next trip.....
skysite
skysite
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:51 pm

Remember anyone with a concealed weapon the Maximum penalty is about 14 years now. But most only get 12 to 18 months. Intimidation is good for about 6 to 9 months with some getting about 15 months in some cases. That is in NSW thought do not know what goes on in other states.

I will not put up with any BS from anyone now as i had a incident happen to me a while back where someone had fired a shot into one of my 80 watt solar panels while i was out detecting!!!!!!! So just be careful. Everyone.

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:56 pm

Easy on the banjo jokes, I just bought one....now squeel piggy!

Hill end, angry man on the turon river ATT00002
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  goldminer997 Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:20 pm

[quote="freshwater"]
Regards john

yep one about 6ftx4ftx3ft with a claim peg keep out. no banjo music just scotish bag pipes, and butter is better i Crying or Very sad
regards sean
goldminer997
goldminer997
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  skysite Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:30 pm

goldminer997 wrote:Hi skysite
Thanks dave the hole was deep and about 65m away from the river theres no way the water would be dirty going back down, the man was just a a,hole and maybe it was he.s spot but no signs or pegs to say keep away. would not talk to us or have a beer but anyway had a good time and did see a group from gecko gold detecting out that way, did find a lot of small bits we all had fun and the weather was three season in a day rain hail and sun
we had good weather there about 2 weeks ago...hows the river mate still running nice?
skysite
skysite
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Tributer Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:08 pm

Ted at Hill End is a good bloke and he is very good at giving people a prospecting experience at a very cheap price. If the whole creek downstream from above the crossing where all the families try was really muddied up well that is just poor prospecting ettiquete (for that particular site).

Don't know what nearby lease owners/ houses would carry concealed guns.. silver orchid?.(if you were talking about the HE creek) Will ask about it with the locals soon, they won't want anyone up there doing that. Its just not like that at Hill End.

I used to pan at HE....before i turned to the dark side.
Tributer

Last edited by Tributer on Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tributer
Tributer
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1006
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post  skysite Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:17 pm

Hey tributer
Would like to know the outcome the misses and I go up there a fair bit sluicing I don't want her being bailed up out there in the bush....we have never had any trouble there.
Cheers Dave
skysite
skysite
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Inhere Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:18 pm

explorer wrote:Remember anyone with a concealed weapon the Maximum penalty is about 14 years now. But most only get 12 to 18 months. Intimidation is good for about 6 to 9 months with some getting about 15 months in some cases. That is in NSW thought do not know what goes on in other states.

I will not put up with any BS from anyone now as i had a incident happen to me a while back where someone had fired a shot into one of my 80 watt solar panels while i was out detecting!!!!!!! So just be careful. Everyone.

G'day explorer, where were you when that happened?
Inhere
Inhere
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 941
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post  detecta2 Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:57 pm

The local gold panning tutor at Tamba' is Ted Abott,a harmless old gent makes a very humble living teaching panning and doing a few pickups in Mudgee for the locals,know him well, wouldnt have a go at anyone less they deserved it,its Ted that puts water in the creek when its dry and turns a bit of ground when the gold thins.Gold there is fine and not that plentiful,theres plenty of better spots not too far away if you want to run a sluice, locals certainly wouldnt waste their time there.

detecta2
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:22 pm

It wasn't in NSW but in the Pilbara of all places. Was able to fix the solar panel when i got into Newman with a bit of solder and wiring and heaps of silicone and its in a wooden plywood frame now for a bit of added strength and have lost some amperage out of it but it is still kicking. I am going to send a pic of it to someone to post on this forum. Also two caravans where burnt down on someones claim in the area about 5 years back. ( not saying any of this is related and even what happened to me is out of the ordinary in that part of the world or anywhere in Australia for that matter but it did happen on one of my trips and left me on edge a bit for a while.

U are more likely to get wind damage or user damage and cartage damage with solar panels on trips. How unlucky was I and what a b**tard act to do it.

If anyone sees me on my trips out sometimes they will see it as i still use it to help charge a battery for a engels frigde.

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:06 pm

detecta2 wrote:The local gold panning tutor at Tamba' is Ted Abott,a harmless old gent makes a very humble living teaching panning and doing a few pickups in Mudgee for the locals,know him well, wouldnt have a go at anyone less they deserved it,its Ted that puts water in the creek when its dry and turns a bit of ground when the gold thins.Gold there is fine and not that plentiful,theres plenty of better spots not too far away if you want to run a sluice, locals certainly wouldnt waste their time there.
Totally agree, and he makes a mean cuppa also, have known him since living there back in the 80s. However when you offer him a roll your own cigi....just hand him the pouch and let him do it. Laughing Laughing
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1885

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Fly_Dirt Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:11 pm

At Nundle you haven't been able to use petrol pumps to pump water to sluices for a couple of years but I've heard nothing about the Turon.

I'm at the Sofala end of the river and invested in my own piece of real estate so I can enjoy this hobby at my own leisure and not worry about public land that's getting harder to find.

Just in case the cuprit is a member here, I'd like to say to be B@@stard that' been breaking the Ten Commandments of Metal Detecting, by jumping my fence and wardering 500 metres into my proerty, detecting my creek (not the river) which is on private property and who left evidence by not filling detecting holes, may you be plagued with mineral-bearing rocks, hard-cracked soil, pestilence, serpents, locusts, poisonous vegetation and great multitudes of pull tabs. bottlecaps and rusty nails and may you spend the remaining years of your wretched life digging signals of false origin. Evil or Very Mad

Fly_Dirt

Fly_Dirt
Fly_Dirt
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2008-10-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:33 pm

G'day Fly_Dirt

I agree with what you say, you went to the trouble to get your own piece of gold bearing dirt and it would be a bit dis- heartning to discover open detector holes left by some "B@@stard" as you say.

A pox on their house, and all the other things you have wished upon them.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:12 am

[quote="Fly_Dirt"]At Nundle you haven't been able to use petrol pumps to pump water to sluices for a couple of years but I've heard nothing about the Turon.

I'm at the Sofala end of the river and invested in my own piece of real estate so I can enjoy this hobby at my own leisure and not worry about public land that's getting harder to find.

Just in case the cuprit is a member here, I'd like to say to be B@@stard that' been breaking the Ten Commandments of Metal Detecting, by jumping my fence and wardering 500 metres into my proerty, detecting my creek (not the river) which is on private property and who left evidence by not filling detecting holes, may you be plagued with mineral-bearing rocks, hard-cracked soil, pestilence, serpents, locusts, poisonous vegetation and great multitudes of pull tabs. bottlecaps and rusty nails and may you spend the remaining years of your wretched life digging signals of false origin. Evil or Very Mad

Fly_Dirt
Probably the same type of B@@stard that would jump in a hole you were digging while you were having lunch !

Shocked yes i agree there's a lot of it going on and i agree a POX on their houses!! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  shelby23 Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:11 am

Hi to him I would say

May the Fleas of a thousand camels infest his Ass?

Regards Neale

shelby23
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 685
Registration date : 2009-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:21 am

may you be plagued with mineral-bearing rocks, hard-cracked soil, pestilence, serpents, locusts, poisonous vegetation and great multitudes of pull tabs. bottlecaps and rusty nails and may you spend the remaining years of your wretched life digging signals of false origin.
LOL Fly dirt the blokes got no chance with a curse like that, i recon you need more Meerkats with bigger guns and longer teeth.
Might i suggest FLy Dirt you invest in some signs pointing out the land is in fact Private Property no excuses then when they are spotted and prehaps if you can afford it there are very small survailance cameras these days that National Parks use to catch illegal dumpers just depends how determined you are to nail this person/people.
OR
Seeing as you do mainly panning seed the grd with enormus amounts of bird shot (yes i can hear the frowns)at about 2-3 inches should do, that will fufill one of the curses Smile
Regards

PS Fly Dirt, it wasnt the same bloke who has a white truck with a pendel on the roof was it Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  skysite Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:14 am

freshwater wrote:
may you be plagued with mineral-bearing rocks, hard-cracked soil, pestilence, serpents, locusts, poisonous vegetation and great multitudes of pull tabs. bottlecaps and rusty nails and may you spend the remaining years of your wretched life digging signals of false origin.
LOL Fly dirt the blokes got no chance with a curse like that, i recon you need more Meerkats with bigger guns and longer teeth.
Might i suggest FLy Dirt you invest in some signs pointing out the land is in fact Private Property no excuses then when they are spotted and prehaps if you can afford it there are very small survailance cameras these days that National Parks use to catch illegal dumpers just depends how determined you are to nail this person/people.
OR
Seeing as you do mainly panning seed the grd with enormus amounts of bird shot (yes i can hear the frowns)at about 2-3 inches should do, that will fufill one of the curses Smile
Regards

PS Fly Dirt, it wasnt the same bloke who has a white truck with a pendel on the roof was it Wink
Ha HA johnny if seen that white truck with the pendel on the roof and the meercats swinging off the side
skysite
skysite
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:01 pm

freshwater wrote:

I believe this same bloke has now been spotted at Windyer. Wink
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1885

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Nature_Pete Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:32 pm

freshwater wrote: prehaps if you can afford it there are very small survailance cameras these days that National Parks use to catch illegal dumpers just depends how determined you are to nail this person/people.

Hi Fly Dirt,

If any of your friends/family are hunters, especially deer hunters, then it is worth the question. Alternitively, you can have a look on Ebay for 'game/trail cameras' as they are getting cheaper and easier. Just a thought...

Regards,

Nature Pete. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Nature_Pete
Nature_Pete
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2011-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post  gollstar Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:12 pm

Fly dirt you need a sign like this one in Talbot, theres other signs that say no prospecting

Hill end, angry man on the turon river Goldpros040

gollstar
gollstar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 697
Registration date : 2009-04-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Fly_Dirt Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:25 pm

Marachu, golding on public land is a bit like fishing.....if you leave your spot expect it to be fished out when you get back. Public is just that ......for everyone. That's why if you find a good spot, leave it with that "untouched" look so hopefully you can go back and finish off later.

But private land is a different kettle of fish. As I've said before in a post on another thread, it can also be very awkward for a property owner to have to approach people who are obviously enjoying themselves, to inform them that they are trespassing. There are so many nutters in the world today, and just like nutty property owners there are also nutty trespassers, which makes for a somewhat cautious approach.

The other half is a "hunter" and I"m afraid his eye sight is not like it use to be and nowadays everything looks like Roos! So it's a bit of a worry if folk are sneaking around where their not suppose to be while he's out with his lead throwers.

We have an auger and plenty of old fencing wire so we might have to do some seeding. Rolling Eyes Down in Victoria a detecting friend dug up a small metal sign at about a foot down with "Dickhead" stamped on it. Might have to get a quote on 1000 for starters. Laughing

The family have come up with a few suggestions for signs......."Beware of the Cranky Bitch" "Trespassers will be Composted" "Can you Run Faster than 3000 feet per second" "IF You Think Mum's Mad Wait Till Dad's Here" "Danger Deep Shafts - We Don't Stock Lime For Nothing" "Smith & Wesson Live Here" "Trespassers Will Be Shot - Survivors Will Be Shot Again"

Further suggestions appreciated. Very Happy
Fly_Dirt
Fly_Dirt
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2008-10-21

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next