Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can anyone explain why my GPX5000 displayed 'Coil Overcurrent' today?

2 posters

Go down

Can anyone explain why my GPX5000 displayed 'Coil Overcurrent' today? Empty Can anyone explain why my GPX5000 displayed 'Coil Overcurrent' today?

Post  Guest Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:52 pm

G'day, I switched my 5000 on today in the confines of a mates back yard and my 5000 went beserk and displayed 'Coil Overcurrent'...I switched off immediately as I figure it did not like bbeing surrounded by iron fencing...reasonable distance away. I have never switched the 5000 on except when I'm out in the goldfields.
Am I likely to have developed a problem?...as I have not switched it on again in that environment....but will tomorrow out in the fields....thanks in anticipation. Hoo Roo

Back to top Go down

Can anyone explain why my GPX5000 displayed 'Coil Overcurrent' today? Empty Re: Can anyone explain why my GPX5000 displayed 'Coil Overcurrent' today?

Post  Mechanic Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:49 pm

G'day Larry,

No I don't think it should do that, even in suburbia with a metal fence around an all. I would try it again, there is a protection circuit in place so you won't harm your detector. Then try a different coil, if the problem goes away, it could be something with the coil. You should even be able to switch it on in your house, although it will go nuts!

Cheers Mick

Mechanic
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 695
Registration date : 2011-02-20

https://DetectronicsAustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Can anyone explain why my GPX5000 displayed 'Coil Overcurrent' today? Empty Re: Can anyone explain why my GPX5000 displayed 'Coil Overcurrent' today?

Post  Guest Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:49 am

try selecting cancel see if it still does it? maybe too much electrical interferance.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Porter Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:58 am

Coil Overcurrent is quite normal, I get one every week or so. The owners manual recommends to just turn the detector off and then on again if it occurs (pg 87). Page 26 suggests to avoid turning the detector off then on again repeatedly as it can cause an Overcurrent situation. I find most my Overcurrent situations are when the detector has been turned on with the coil directly on the ground and the ground balance was completely off or if a large metallic object was near the coil at turn on. As the manual suggests wait for a short period of time then turn the detector back on again away from the area that originally caused the problem, never fear the Overcurrent is there to protect your detector so when it happens it has done its job with no harm done.

JP

Last edited by Jonathan Porter on Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:58 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fixing typo)
Jonathan Porter
Jonathan Porter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 801
Registration date : 2008-11-25

http://www.theoutbackprospector.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:59 am

Phewww!..thats a relief, and I thought I was going to have to tell wifey I had broken my toy....
Thanks for all your replies....this really is a great forum you know...instant responses from the best in the business..how good is that?.....Hoo Roo
P.S. Being a person who thinks in black and white...I thought I had switched it on and he must have had underground power line directly underneath and it was telling me literally..'Coil Overcurrent'...it certainly went beserk...thanks.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:35 am

I have had this "Coil Overcurrent" happen when using a mono coil in SHARP timing, just when you turn on the machine. (As suggested just turn off then a short wait turn on again, with the coil off the ground). I just put it down to the extra 20% power to the coil that sharp give you, this may or may not be what causes it, but that is when it happens. Haven't had it happen with a Double D coil just mono's

Back to top Go down