Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GPS suggestions

3 posters

Go down

GPS suggestions Empty GPS suggestions

Post  vasilis Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:12 pm

Hi to all. Can I hear some comments on GPS units and topographic mapping systems that people prefer to use. I have used the Magellan explorist 610 (new) but would like to get a comparison with other units.
Spending a lot of money and then finding alternatives can be frustrating so some views would be appreciated.
Just to add it's terrific to have access to the wealth of knowledge and experiences out there !!
cheers Vasili
vasilis
vasilis
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 265
Registration date : 2010-03-04

Back to top Go down

GPS suggestions Empty GPS suggestions

Post  Guest Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:19 pm

Gidday M8
Most Garmin or Magellan's are good value as far as mapping software is concerned IMHO you could'nt go passed OziExplorer it is a Aussie product and will do everything most goldies need.
Cheers Dave cheers

Back to top Go down

GPS suggestions Empty Re: GPS suggestions

Post  Guest Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:22 pm

hi vasili
have you read the info on gps in the General Prospecting Answers section?...

i would say pay a lot of attention to post by Detrackozi...he's a bit of a guru in this field
cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:00 pm

G'day vasilis, Without naming brands etc, for what we use a gps for I would say that a mapping GPS is a must, with the ability to connect to a putor via USB and it is a good idea to have the option of having a SD card port for additional maps etc.

I find that it is a great option to connect to the pc whether at home or out in the field to add waypoints to and from the GPS with either OziExplorer or Google Earth, that sure beats adding co-ords in manually!! Twisted Evil

I don't think I could ask for a better system than I use with the combination of handheld GPS, laptop, OziExplorer and the in-car GPS (with OziExplorer loaded on it)

With the information available from the internet there is no shortage of information on reefs or old mines and diggings etc, with these loaded into your GPS tools it doesn't become hit and miss any more, time and time again these tools have put me onto the gold.

No more wandering the bush looking for that good spot, now it is just wandering around that good spot spending more time sniffing out those AU targets.

I hope this helps you at least a bit, this is what I have found works well for me.

Cheers
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:10 pm

have a navman my60 for roads and tracks. A garmin e-trek (or trac-sorry,not sure which it is without looking)for detectin, to mark spots and the car lol.

Back to top Go down

Post  Detectist Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:28 pm

Hi vasilis
Do you want to use your gps for just finding your way back to the car or for use in cities too (with or without voice)? Do you want to plan where to go? There is a lot of choice out there and big range in $.
You can have 7" chinese imports showing oziexplorer ce or full blown ozi on a laptop. Memory Map also has its supporters.
Then there are maps. Topo, geological, street directories. Some are free eg Open Street Maps (good in cities but not much good in the bush), or ShonkyMaps good in the bush but next to useless in the cities. There are maps to purchase eg OZToppo and many more. There are raster maps such as the great 1:250,000 Geoscience Australia topos and there are 1:25,000 natmap from NSW (and similar in other states) for use when on foot. Shonky is vector based. You can use Google Earth as well or if so inclined create your own maps. Most gps will take either raster or vector but not both. One product I've come across, TwoNav, takes both. A laptop can take both types of maps but to use it in navigation you need a gps attached to it or a gps mouse.
My Android mobile phone also does maps, tracks, routes and waypoints. Mind, the battery doesn't last long.
To me there seems a lot more choice for Garmin than Magellan and TwoNav is not yet well known.
I suggest you have a browse in this forum. http://www.gpsaustralia.net/ There are threads that discuss all these issues and many more.
Have fun.

Detectist
Detectist
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2010-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post  vasilis Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:17 pm

Thanks to all the replies and will spend some more time looking into it.
I have been doing extensive work with tengraphs and google earth then manually plotting into a magellan gps. As the magellan is on loan to me I have not had the chance to plot directly from google earth onto gps.
I am keen to get onto this.
This is where my curiosity has started because I have been reading blogs and opinions similar the yours (detectist) and trying to narrow down all options avail.
Most of the plotting is related to the tengraph application for Western Australia and via topographic maps on other locations.
I also spend time plotting where the team and I find gold. This way I have a resource of locations for further research to be done.
Once again I appreciate all the advice given
cheers Vasilis
vasilis
vasilis
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  vasilis Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:24 pm

Hi Goldstalker is ozi explore the best way to go? I have heard a lot of great things about it but is it not the same as using google earth?
Your advice is appreciated and I agree it's better to plot then go. I have wasted a lot of time in the past trying to locate potential ground and those wonderful camping spots.
cheers Vasilis
vasilis
vasilis
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:38 pm

Vasilis, In my opinion Ozi is the way to go, it is not an expensive program and as for maps you can load pretty much any map into it. I have even scanned maps and calibrated them and are able to use them out in the field. ie. Doug Stones maps.
It is not the same as using Google earth as you are not looking at a ariel view photo (but can use google earth ariels, I have done on the in car-GPS) you are using a selection of topo or geo or any maps that you have uploaded to the maps folder of the program.

I might get a chance later to do some screen shots for you if you like, so you can get a bit of a picture of what I mean.
You can download the trial version of the program from here http://www.oziexplorer.com/ the trial version is pretty limited but well worth a play!!

Cheers
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  vasilis Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:14 am

Hi Goldstalker thank you for the feedback and I do understand your point. It is always better to place a bearing on a topo map that has more clarity and features.I do also find it useful to then go on to a 3d image to get a general view of the area.
If you do get a chance to put up a screen shot that would be great and thanks again for the advice.
cheers Vasili
vasilis
vasilis
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:08 pm

G'day Vasillis, Here are some screen shots for you, hopefully I have helped.

I have chosen an area in the Grampians National Park as an example the same area is selected for all of the following.

This is a mosaic map.
GPS suggestions Mafeking

Here a Topo map (Vicmap2005)
GPS suggestions Mafeking4

Not sure what collection of maps I got this one from
GPS suggestions Mafeking1

A geo map
GPS suggestions Mafeking2

This is a 3D of the Geo map using OziExplorer 3D
GPS suggestions Mafeking3

Cheers
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  vasilis Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:55 pm

EXCELLENT !!! Thank you so much goldstalker. I see what you mean and the detail is evident on these maps.

Just to pester you with another question. Is there a GPS hand held unit that you recommend to use with the ozi explorer? I think you mentioned the Garmin!! ?

I have been using the Magellan 610 and am the sort of person that gets stuck on one device but need to explore others so your help is really appreciated.
Cheers Vasilis
vasilis
vasilis
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:35 pm

vasilis wrote: Is there a GPS hand held unit that you recommend to use with the ozi explorer? I think you mentioned the Garmin!! ?

I use the Garmin Etrex Vista hcx and find it a great little unit.
I didn't mention brands as I prefer the Garmin but there are others that are very good too, I think you will find that so long as it is a 'mapping' GPS it will do what you want it to.
The only other considerations then are personal ones like:- is the unit water proof, the size of the unit etc.

Cheers
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down