Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New here with a question - Garret Vs Minelab

+3
byronbinalong
kon61
whylee
7 posters

Go down

New here with a question - Garret Vs Minelab Empty New here with a question - Garret Vs Minelab

Post  whylee Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:06 pm

First off I would like to say hello to everyone, im looking forward to learning all I can and eventually helping others. I have not used a detector in 20 years and even then it wasnt alot.
I have been wanting to get into prospecting and using a detector for along time and now I have the time so I sold off my motorcycles to fund my gear.
I bought a Minelab GPX 5000 and a Garrett Infinium, I also bought the wife a Whites GMT because she will not use headphones.
The Garrett is pretty simple to use and I have been practicing alot until the snow melts. The Minelab is going to take much more time.
My question is, should I concentrate on the Garrett until its all second nature to operate before taking the 5000 out, will knowing the basics from using the Garrett help in understanding the 5000 which has far more settings ?
My wife is doing great with the GMT thankfully.

whylee
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2011-02-26

Back to top Go down

New here with a question - Garret Vs Minelab Empty Re: New here with a question - Garret Vs Minelab

Post  kon61 Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:53 pm

G'day Whylee. Welcome to the Forum.

They both might be pulse machines but i can assure you the 5000 is a different beast all together.Both have their so called good or bad points,on various types of ground on different type targets,so don't think that by trying to master the Infinium,would make life a whole lot easier for you on the GPX 5000.Both machines will take time to learn and both require individual mastering.

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

New here with a question - Garret Vs Minelab Empty Re: New here with a question - Garret Vs Minelab

Post  byronbinalong Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:31 pm

welcome to the forum Whylee Very Happy Very Happy
you will learn much info here and have fun on the way .... my view would be that the Garret and GP5000 wouldnt even be in the same league.so either learn to use 1 or the other first, my pref would be the best one ya got ..5000 , so it becomes second nature,as the settings wouldnt transfer over as they are 2 different machines ... but its your choice tho and I am a newbie myself .... you said when the snow melts ... I assume the U.S.A as its our summer and your winter? Very Happy
byronbinalong
byronbinalong
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 595
Registration date : 2010-12-09

Back to top Go down

New here with a question - Garret Vs Minelab Empty Detector

Post  hotrockgarry Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:35 pm

Prob the quickest way to learn your machine is make yourself a test bed in the back yard or somwere handy place objects of varying size and depth , lead, iron, alloy, small gold nug or small jewelry item and start swinging . good luck kon61 ,

hotrockgarry
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2010-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:51 pm

Thanks Hotrockgarry, but its not me that needs it.

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:00 pm

when i detected wayyyyy back the best test area was a small mound that a friend of mine had bored horizontally at a few different depths and angles he had plastic pipe in these holes and used to be able to slide objects down them and as he put it it was more natural with the un dug ground above the target. cheers

Back to top Go down

New here with a question - Garret Vs Minelab Empty OOOOPS

Post  hotrockgarry Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:52 pm

SORRY KON61
Wondered why someone with 250 posts needed help LMAO

hotrockgarry
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2010-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post  TheH0ward Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:17 pm

hahahaha, thats funny as HRG Razz

(i mean that in a nice way Smile )
TheH0ward
TheH0ward
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 842
Registration date : 2010-08-05

Back to top Go down

Post  chopppacalamari Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:01 pm

Hi Wylee n welcome to the forum.

I'd stick to the 5000 if I were you, it is the best money can buy at the moment. The whites GMT is up there with the best VLF you can buy too. As far as sensitivity goes the GMT will find metal as small as the 5000 can but not if mineralisation is interfering with your signal. It just can't handle the mineralisation in the soil like a PI machine can. The 5000 is a PI machine.

Any really trashy area's will be perfect for the GMT as your wife will be able to discriminate out all the iron and only pick up the other metals in the ground. Great for coins and relics AND any gold she may come across.

Keep an ear out for any Platinum bearing area's near you. It's not detectable with a PI machine. One of my mates with a GMT has found over 10 ounces of platinum over the last 12 months or so.

Dicko..
chopppacalamari
chopppacalamari
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 660
Registration date : 2008-12-13

Back to top Go down

Post  whylee Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:21 am

Thanks for the replies, yes im in the USA in Reno NV.

whylee
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2011-02-26

Back to top Go down

Post  monoman1961 Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:17 am

Hi Whylee joining a club could also help you most of them have outings once a month that will get you out into the triangle and take you to places that can help you find gold!! plus you can ask members of there expearinces in the field. Very Happy
monoman1961
monoman1961
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down