Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Correct coil tape to use on your coils....I have tested two brands...

Go down

Correct coil tape to use on your coils....I have tested two brands... Empty Correct coil tape to use on your coils....I have tested two brands...

Post  Guest Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:38 pm

I was asked at the GPX5000 Training day what black coil tape I had on my coils/skid plates to stop movement and pebbles/fine dust getting in and to a certain extent it protects the coil skid plate as well.
I just thought I would pass on the names of two brands that I have originally obtained from two different detector/coils sales outlets so although I thought they would be suitable I have passed the rolls over the coil and moved them on the coil with no interference whatsoever so it would appear no metallic in these black cloth tapes which stick really well and never had even an edge show up on any of my coils....< I dont have any affiliation with these brands but I have been asked by other detectorists which tape I use
1. Tesa AG Hamburg <mine is black cloth type tape>..dont think colour makes any difference I've seen white tape on some coils>
2. Stylus Tapes International 'The Real Tape People'.<also black cloth type>..no place of manufacture on inside roll.
Trust this info helps..I wouldnt be game to use just any tape.....Both these rolls were about $8 each so they are not expensive for the job they do... Hoo Roo

Back to top Go down

Correct coil tape to use on your coils....I have tested two brands... Empty Re: Correct coil tape to use on your coils....I have tested two brands...

Post  Guest Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:36 pm

Hi Larry

Stylus brand is an aussie made tape mate.

Pete in WA Cool

Back to top Go down

Correct coil tape to use on your coils....I have tested two brands... Empty Re: Correct coil tape to use on your coils....I have tested two brands...

Post  Guest Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:10 am

I wouldn't use any other tape but these two. I also wrap'em round twice for added protection.

Also useful for fixing your coil leads to your shafts when you get sick of the velcro doohickies.

When you remove the old tape and the glue stays put, use some citrus based liquid like "Dissolve It" and it comes off easily

Always start and finish winding the tape on at the back of the coil so you don't have any ends flapping about on the front or sides after a while.

Robert

Back to top Go down