Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DIY Solar Panel

+4
mariner3800
HOBO'S Gold
secret squirrel
granite2
8 posters

Go down

DIY Solar Panel Empty DIY Solar Panel

Post  Guest Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:07 am

Hello all,
Was wondering whether anyone out there has any info regarding building a solar panel from scratch. Have no idea where to start on this subject except that you can purchase the individual solar panel (build it yourself) on ebay. My main concern is how much power (size panel)would one need in total to say.... charge up the detector battery plus run a light plus a couple of other gadgets (laptop, mp3). I plan on going bush for a week or 2 middle of the year and only have a 4 wheel drive and a tent so space is limited.
Sorry for sounding dumb but I have no idea on this subject and the ones you buy from the shops are really expensive.
Any help would bew appreciated
Regards

Back to top Go down

DIY Solar Panel Empty Re: DIY Solar Panel

Post  granite2 Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:33 am

Try Coiltek Gold Centre for a cheaper panel. They have come down a lot in recent years. Probably buying is cheaper than building. But if you build don't forget a regulator or you'll bugger your battery.

Cheers, Jim cheers
granite2
granite2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1829
Registration date : 2009-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post  secret squirrel Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:20 am

brookesy888 wrote:Hello all,
Was wondering whether anyone out there has any info regarding building a solar panel from scratch. Have no idea where to start on this subject except that you can purchase the individual solar panel (build it yourself) on ebay. My main concern is how much power (size panel)would one need in total to say.... charge up the detector battery plus run a light plus a couple of other gadgets (laptop, mp3). I plan on going bush for a week or 2 middle of the year and only have a 4 wheel drive and a tent so space is limited.
Sorry for sounding dumb but I have no idea on this subject and the ones you buy from the shops are really expensive.
Any help would bew appreciated
Regards
Hi brookesy....been there, done that....in the long run it will work out cheaper to buy a complete unit...I have a couple solar set ups,for the mobile set up I'm running a 100watt panel ontop of the 4by4 keeps the 100amp deepcycle in the car fully charged all the time, I run the fridge freezer with that and also use a pure sine inverter which allows me to run 240volt appliances up to 600watt...plenty of power to run my laptops and any other chargers to keep all batts full,----------- for the second set up which is used in camp I have a folding panel, 60watt , comes with fitted regulator ready to run, which is mounted on the camper trailer...this keeps the deepcycle batt fully charged and we use it for charging stuff, lighting at night( ledlights use bugger all power) , also it runs waterpumps and any other electrical stuff around the camp.....we have never run short of power like this....here is a link to the 60watt bifold panel on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/60W-FOLDING-SOLAR-PANEL-MONOCRYSTALLINE-COMPLETE-SET-/270702107822?pt=AU_Sport_Camping_Hiking_Caravan_Accessories&
hash=item3f071a5cae

feel free to contact me if you like more info....

cheers SS Smile
secret squirrel
secret squirrel
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 216
Registration date : 2011-02-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:21 am

Why build one yourself??? have a look on Flea bay plenty on there just be careful and avoid sellers that state high output but dont show panel dimensions (LHP is one).
To work out the area of each size (wattage) panels go to green sites/solar shops online that sell panels get the mesurements of know brand names and compare them to the ones on flea bay.
This will make sure you are getting what is stated in the form of rated output, dont rely on the info posted by the sellers as i said genuine sellers will show the dimensions.
Most of the kits come with a cheap PV charger but id change it over to a better quailty one but thats just me, they do work just hard to tell exactly what state your battery is in.
Almost all 12V panels are made in china even some brand names and make sure you get a 12 V panel as there are 24 V panels advertised as well on flea bay.
Monocrystaline type panels only proberly a 80 watt one would suit even a 60 watt depends on how much you current/power your going to use.
Good luck
John

SS posted a link to the mob i just brought a new panel from i found them to be accurate in there stated outputs, although their pakaging of a panel needs attention, a thin piece of carbord isnt what i call safe to transport a glass sheet in but made it.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:33 pm

Gday Brookesy888

I have bought a few very well priced solar panels from garage sales and flea markets,two 15 watt ones that came from solar water pond pumps, one for $20 and the other $15 , they were the same panels but bought from different sellers, I hinged them together added a controller that I had left over from another project and now have a 30 watt fold out panel that I use to top up the camper trailer battery.

I also picked up a 30w panel and 2 x 5 amp regulators for $40 just recently at a garage sale, so you can get a few bargains but you also have to get out and about early to beat all the market dealers that do the same thing, also the likes of the Quokka paper in WA and the Trading post in Vic are an excellent resource for getting just about anything.

Also a bloke who was selling panels at the local swap meet a couple of weeks back said that he scored them from someone who does house demolitions so if you have someone in your area doing that it might be worth giving them a call and seeing what they do with that sort of stuff.

It would be cheaper to just buy one rather than try to make it yourself I would think.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  HOBO'S Gold Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:41 pm

Hi I just bought a 80watt Solar panel on ebay for $170 + post and it's a real beauty, I wouldn't much around making one, they are cheep enough as they are, unless you want to much around and make one because you can.

Regards Johnny sunny
HOBO'S Gold
HOBO'S Gold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 969
Registration date : 2008-10-22

https://www.youtube.com/user/HOBOsGold?feature=mhee

Back to top Go down

Post  mariner3800 Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:01 pm

Hi Brookesy888, I will post some stuff on the latest solar panels tomorrow, it is at work so I will bring it home

These are flexible light weight panels ( no glass ), an absolute must for out in the bush.

The can stick on anything, your car roof, your caravan or even your tent, yes they are that flexible.

Talk tomorrow

Peter
mariner3800
mariner3800
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1177
Registration date : 2010-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:40 pm

Many thanks to all that replied to my post.

I will be checking out the suggestions you all offered. It is a great thing when so many people help out another with suggestions, links and info.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:15 am

Gday Brookesy888

Just spotted this DIY kit on ebay, looks like a good deal if you want to have a go at making your own panel, very reasonably priced too, might get one myself.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Learn-How-Solar-Cells-DIY-Panel-Kit-Charge-Controller-/320650096375?pt=AU_Solar&hash=item4aa83c2ef7

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:04 pm

stayyerAU wrote:
Gday Brookesy888

Just spotted this DIY kit on ebay, looks like a good deal if you want to have a go at making your own panel, very reasonably priced too, might get one myself.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Learn-How-Solar-Cells-DIY-Panel-Kit-Charge-Controller-/320650096375?pt=AU_Solar&hash=item4aa83c2ef7

cheers

stayyerAU

Thanks StayyerAU,

Looks good, might just give that a go.

Cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:08 pm

stayyerAU wrote:
Gday Brookesy888

cheers

stayyerAU

Just waiting to hear back from the supplier regarding the cost of shipping to Aus. Will let you know

Back to top Go down

DIY Solar Panel Empty From scratch?

Post  kewkew Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:37 pm

From scratch? You want to mine the silicon and metal frame etc or whatever else those things are made from? Very Happy

kewkew
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-10-13

Back to top Go down

DIY Solar Panel Empty Cheap DiY solar panels

Post  McMillan Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:36 am

I simply had to post my experience regarding home-made solar panels because I had the same idea few years ago. I wanted to use cheap, DIY solar panel on a camping trip and to power/charge my cell-phone, small LED light and a radio receiver. To cut the long story short, at the and it turned out that I spent more money to build than to buy it. After that I built a small windmill which is more convenient for use on camping. I think you should try this yourself, it is possible to build small scale wind generator using parts from old floppy drive. There is also easy and free solution how to build a pop-can DIY solar panel as well but it can be used for heating only, not to generate electricity. Schematic diagrams for both projects can be found on the internet in many variations.

Last edited by McMillan on Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : update)

McMillan

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2011-12-23

Back to top Go down

Post  RobbieN30 Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:23 pm

Guest wrote:

Thanks StayyerAU,

Looks good, might just give that a go.

Cheers

Hi Brookesy888,

Which did u choose again? u have photos of when you used it?
how did it go?

Last edited by RobbieN30 on Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:12 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : signature option)

RobbieN30

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2012-01-02

Back to top Go down

DIY Solar Panel Empty Panel output

Post  Greenwell2 Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:05 pm

Howdy
It is the amps output that is important when looking at solar panels. If it only puts out 1 amp then obviously if you have drawn 20 amps out of the battery then it is going to take 20hrs to recharge. For laptops and other delicate gear you need a pure sinwave inverter to be safe.
cheers
Greenwell
Greenwell2
Greenwell2
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2011-11-25

Back to top Go down