Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

new coil / now confused

4 posters

Go down

new coil / now confused Empty new coil / now confused

Post  steve17 Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:45 pm

hello,
i purchaced a nugget finder advantage 17 x 11 mono , I will admit to im new to the game and i have alot to learn.
i have a gpx4500 and now a new coil.
could someone please tell me the best settings for this coil as i went out to the triangle and all i got was ear bashing noises.
weather it was moving the coil left to right up or down or even keeping it as steady as possible the ground level would send the detector crazy.
i thought it may have been a ground balance issue so i found a clear area and got it to a nice gental hum then as soon as i moved it "werrrrwoooooooooo" !
i could`nt seem to settle it down. i tried it with a 11" dd (stock standard) coil and all was ok..

Just to add more to this situation, i have just set it up at home and got a nice gental hum and noticed when i touch the coil or the lower shaft with my fingers
the dector goes crazy, is this normal ?
the settings are on mono coil with all factory presets..

Last edited by steve17 on Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

steve17
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2011-01-09

Back to top Go down

new coil / now confused Empty Re: new coil / now confused

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:49 pm

Last edited by GoldstalkerGPX on Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:44 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : pointless)
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:36 pm

There could be a number of things causing it to be noisy. After you do a little reading, check to make sure your 4500 was in the enhance timings via the front end cap switch.
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1885
Registration date : 2008-10-22

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Billsymo Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:33 pm

steve17 wrote:hello,
i purchaced a nugget finder advantage 17 x 11 mono , I will admit to im new to the game and i have alot to learn.
i have a gpx4500 and now a new coil.
could someone please tell me the best settings for this coil as i went out to the triangle and all i got was ear bashing noises.
weather it was moving the coil left to right up or down or even keeping it as steady as possible the ground level would send the detector crazy.
i thought it may have been a ground balance issue so i found a clear area and got it to a nice gental hum then as soon as i moved it "werrrrwoooooooooo" !
i could`nt seem to settle it down. i tried it with a 11" dd (stock standard) coil and all was ok..

Just to add more to this situation, i have just set it up at home and got a nice gental hum and noticed when i touch the coil or the lower shaft with my fingers
the dector goes crazy, is this normal ?
the settings are on mono coil with all factory presets..

Get that coil tested, it sounds faulty to me, if you have a multimeter test pins 1 or 5 with any of the other pins, you should get a very low resistance reading of below 20 ohms. if you test pins 1 and five together you should get an almost zero ohms reading , and the same applies for pins 2, 3,4 together.
A better test is with a grid dip oscillator test between pins 1 or 5 with any other pin, you should get a dip between 10 and 14 Mhz.

Billsymo
Billsymo
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2010-11-12

Back to top Go down