Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which coil!

4 posters

Go down

Which coil! Empty Which coil!

Post  Guest Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:33 pm

Hi guys, GPX 5000 since the majority of users haven't even used there new Minelab Mono coils to know if there faulty or not.
Which coils are you using? I'm chasing fine gold in my area, are there better suited coils for the job.
Cheers
Chris Phillips.

Back to top Go down

Which coil! Empty Re: Which coil!

Post  Guest Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:48 pm

Hi Chris,
I use my 11" mono...brilliant coil & probably my most used coil.
Apart from that, my commander 8" mono and NFA 14" mono would be the next two I use the most on my 5000 just as I did on my 4500.

The 8" is deadly on the scabby bits with suprising depth for its size.

Back to top Go down

Post  llanbric Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:34 pm

Hi Tuna, I've come to the same conclusion as you re coils.

llanbric
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 412
Registration date : 2008-11-17

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:29 pm

G'day Chris.

The Nugget Finder 12x7 Advantage will find fine gold from 0.1g to even granules or flakes of gold,as small as 0.05g buried to within the first inch or so of mineralized soil.

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:22 am

kon61 wrote:

G'day Chris.

The Nugget Finder 12x7 Advantage will find fine gold from 0.1g to even granules or flakes of gold,as small as 0.05g buried to within the first inch or so of mineralized soil.

Cheers kon61.

Ditto for the 12" NF Advantage round mono coil. Down to 0.02grams several times for me.
The stock 11" mono that comes with the 5000 is also a top coil.

Robert

Back to top Go down

Post  gim Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:00 pm

Hi Chris,
12" N/F Advantage + 18" N/F my choice of coils with the 5000..gim..

gim
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2008-10-30

Back to top Go down

Which coil! Empty I'm screwed!

Post  Guest Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:56 pm

This coil thing, thank's for the suggestions and I'm feeling like an idiot on a subject which I've relished in for some 30 years,
where now 15 years later technology is getting the better of me, so I will ask one more question on the coil thing!
My GPX 5000 came from loads of groveling with my wife, like I said I hung my old 6db white up on the wall never to use again, because I new I was walking over gold ground in some of what is now known to be some of W.A's best gold producing On top of the Dirt, kick it with your feet, everywhere gold gold and more gold. BUT we left W.A 13 years ago, with my white detector totally band from walking anywhere near me!
Now after selling our small farmlet I told my wife this is my turn, that's the only reason why I now have my GPX5000, and going by some of you guys the GPX 4500 may have better suited, life goes on and I will do my best with what I've got " Hopefully it is the best?" and I'll learn to deal with it, one way or the other.
Anyway I'm not looking for feel sorry for me, nothing like that, but if you put yourself in my shoe's, would you buy a better coil, sorry this sounds so lame, or would you better the odd's by buying a non Minelab coil.
Yeh I'm an idiot, but prospecting is a lonely game when you only have yourself to ask questions too.
Cheers again.
Chris Phillips.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:45 pm

I don't understand? You're curtainly not screwed...far from it!
Have you tried your 11" yet? if it's a faulty they'll replace it. As you said you are targeting the fine gold, If it was me, I'd go smaller like the 8" mono.

The 11" has amazing depth, I've watched a couple of forum members dig holes bordering on and even passed 3'. It will still pick up .005 of a gr with ease.
Where the 8" shines is in the tight scrubby spots under bushes, bed rock areas aswell as creek beds etc.

The 12" NFA is a brilliant coil also and the only reason I didn't get one is because I couldn't find a distinct advantage over the 11" I had that could justify me buying one. Also. I have a 14" NFA as my mid size coil and love it.

My personal opinion re: 5000 vs 4500 is that had I not have upgraded, I wouldn't feel disadvantaged at all. I do believe my 5000 has an edge in smoothness, balance and stabilty but the difference is minimal. I love fine gold also. It's early days yet, it's more capable than I am and I'll be learning it for months to come.
But 4oz as a weekend detectorist on the scabbed out dreggs of NSW, I sure as hell am not complaining!

Back to top Go down

Which coil! Empty "Coils aint Coils"

Post  Pj. Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:15 am

Gday All,
On the subject of buying a better coils and using other coils. Even with the recent recall episode of the Commander 11" monos by Minelab I still have faith that these coils are the best to use on the GPX5000 for one reason alone. The GPX5000 was designed, built and calibrated to use these specific coils in product developement stage. There may be better after market coils out there of similar size / related performance but I reckon you'd be splitting hairs a bit. The Commander 11" mono will find a wide range of targets and I think its probably the best coil for general prospecting. Its nothing to find 0.05g at several inches whilst still punching deep on the bigger bits 8 oz at 3 foot plus. The 11" mono is a very versatile coil and most definately under rated by alot of people. Have faith in the coils provided by Minelab and if needed get your faulty 11" mono coil returned and fixed asap so you can get back into it. The 11" DD coil is also excellent and can target small gold too if set up correctly with great sucess. I went over some ground that I gridded many times using the 11" mono on the GPX 5000 and still found 5 gold nuggets between 0.1g & 0.7g that the 11" mono had missed. Hope this helps you out a bit. Cheers and Merry Xmas to all. Pj.
Pj.
Pj.
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2010-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:47 pm

Pj. wrote:Gday All,
On the subject of buying a better coils and using other coils. Even with the recent recall episode of the Commander 11" monos by Minelab I still have faith that these coils are the best to use on the GPX5000 for one reason alone. The GPX5000 was designed, built and calibrated to use these specific coils in product developement stage. Pj.

G'day PJ

You make a lot of sence with what you say, and I totaly agree as i use the same coil a lot of the time. These coils were not only designed and calibrated for the GPX5000 but also the the GPX4500 and GPX4000 and worked brilliantly on all these machines.

There are other coils that work equall as well I know this as well and also use them, but to forget about the 11" commander and not use it much is a mistake in my view.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Which coil! Empty Oh that, coil !

Post  Guest Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:23 pm

Hi guys, thanks for all the replies, My mono coil definitely has problems, so I'm hoping when repaired my 5000 will have a bit more zaz to it.
At the moment my .6gm test bit with RX up to 13, stabilizer adjusted to smoothing the hole thing out, well try too, settings on Special & fine gold Tracking on fixed, my .6gm test bit of gold goes unnoticed at 4" That's why I was stressing somewhat over different coils, alright a lot!
I still need to check the double d coil, if that also plays up, then it may well be a problem with the detector.
Anyway Thanks again for all the replies and hope everyone has a safe and Merry Christmas.
Cheers
Chris.

Back to top Go down